which tows best? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthynne View Post
Curious as to which is easiest to tow a 5th wheel or trailer? Starting to do research to go full time on the road with Scamp or similar.

Thanks Ally
I had a Scamp 16 and now own a Scamp 5er. The 5er definitely pulls better but does weigh more than the 16.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
On thing you've not asked and is important... which is easier to hookup. Hands down a bumper pull. Hooking up my 5er isn't difficult, just not convenient. I drive a 4x4 PU, extended cab. I cannot see the hitch in the bed of the truck. There's a camera on the tailgate that allows me to see the hitch on the Scamp. Can nail the hookup first time. To do the same with the 5er, I'll need to get another, different camera. With the Escape, I carry a small two step ladder so I can reach into the bed of the truck to finish the positive latch (and connect the brake disconnect loop). Fortunately I'm still spry enough I can usually step on top of the tire and boost myself up into the bed. I'm generally a lazy person and find it inconvenient enough that if I'm camping for only a couple of days I don't even bother to unhook. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #23

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I have never been in a molded fiberglass 5th wheel however I am in love with the great space in the 5th wheels I have toured at RV shows. if I owned a pickup truck I'd own a 5th wheel for all the reasons already discussed.
If I was going full time I'd buy a pickup and a 5th wheel for the interior space.
Everyone has different space needs...I like the "house-like" space and feel of a 5th wheel. If I was full time I'd go nuts in the confined space of a small trailer.
Again different strokes for different folks.
My current trailer is a 26 footer, smallest I have ever owned was a 24 footer. The 26 footer is perfect for two people...plenty of room and storage.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #24

Name: Alida
Trailer: currently looking in CA
Ohio
" tow vehicle breakdown, friends could tow our LS for us and not need a pickup to do so"

very good point!
arthynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #25

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
which tows best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Alida, Two more points, just to add more confusion: 1) there must be a reason why all those millions (by my approximation) of commercial tractor-trailer trucks going up and down the interstate are set up 5th-wheel style, and 2) there must be a reason why tow-behind campers out-number 5th-wheel campers 50:1 (by my approximation) at fiberglass camper rallies (at least in our neck of the woods). As others have said, each has it's advantages and disadvantages. The main thing that concerns us about a 5th wheel is the thought of possibly having to maneuver those stairs in the middle of the night, for whatever reason, as we grow older. All that said, as others have suggested, get the camper you feel you will enjoy the most for your camping lifestyle. But if you choose a 5th-wheel, you're restricted to towing with a pickup - good, bad or otherwise. In the end, just get camping! To paraphrase an old fishing saying, "A bad day camping is still better than a good day at the office." Dale

I'm not sure these statistics. First, I have not attended any FG rallies where tow behinds outnumber 5ers 50:1. Perhaps 10:1 or 15:1. And there is a easily explained reason for that. Of the many FG manufacturers, only two (Scamp and Escape) currently market 5th wheels, and in both cases the base price for each is higher than any other model in their catalog. If you look at the "stickie" side of the market, where most manufacturers market both tow behinds and 5th wheels, or look around any campground the ratio of tow behinds to 5ers is not all that different. And some respondents have referenced space taken up by the hitch. Having owned both a Scamp and now an Escape 5th wheel, I can unequivocally say that I have no problem packing camp chairs and other equipment around all 4 sides of the 5th wheel hitch. Nor do I find the 5th wheels any more difficult to back into a campsite than any other trailer I have ever owned. And when I owned pull behind campers (3 over the years), I rarely utilized a drive thru, so I see that as a non issue. I personally find parking the 5er and going inside McDonald's, a bank, or whatever far less a PITA than having to make up and take down the dinette twice a day for sleeping. From what I have read here, many respondents are expressing pros and cons somewhat flavored by personal preferences (including me in the previous sentence). In reality, the suggestion that the OP go with the layout and features that best meets needs is the best advice that has been proposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #26

Name: Alida
Trailer: currently looking in CA
Ohio
Smile

Thanks, I do like the idea of the bed tucked away.
arthynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone that's concerned about stairs. Lots of people have bad knees, etc. However, my Escape only has one more stair to the loft than there is to get inside the trailer. In fact, thinking about it... it's the same. I have one outside step (step on that) and step on to the threshold and into the trailer... that's two. There are two stairs to the loft in my trailer too I would worry more about tripping over a dog sleeping in the aisle way... But really, just like everything it's about choice.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #28

Florida
Registry
Agree, Donna. Stairs could be a concern, especially if one has bad knees. I usually back down them whenever exiting the loft. And Dale is right about a bad day camping is better than a great day at the office. I've never heard of anyone on their death bed saying "I wish I had spent more time at the office!"

Old 04-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
...The 5th wheel trailer setup tow vehicle will ride better than a "Tag" trailer behind the same tow vehicle...
That's a good point that I'd forgotten about. Travel trailers tend to have a 'porpoise-like' motion on rough highways which jiggles the tow vehicle. This can be annoying. A weight distribution hitch will reduce this motion substantially, but not get rid of it completely. However, 5th wheel trailers don't produce that jiggle because they can't get much leverage on the back end of the vehicle.

I'd better watch myself, or I'm liable to talk myself into a pickup truck... so I can get a 5er!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #30

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I'm not sure these statistics. First, I have not attended any FG rallies where tow behinds outnumber 5ers 50:1. Perhaps 10:1 or 15:1.
Carl, It would be interesting to do an official census next year, but at the recent Green Eggs & Ham fiberglass camper rally (Gunter Hill COE campground, Montgomery, AL), there were 90+ rigs registered. We toured the campground several times, and I recall seeing only 1 fiberglass 5th wheeler, and that was a Scamp right next door to us. Interestingly, it was being towed by a Toyota Tacoma, which many people argue can't pull a 5th wheel because of its composite (non-metal) bed. The owner took a standard Scamp 5th wheel hitch to a welding shop, had them weld steel bars to the bottom of it long enough to utilize the factory bed bolts, then weld some angle braces to prevent side-to-side flexing (since it couldn't be bolted to the wheel wells). He camps a lot and said it has worked great for him.

A few observations regarding GE&H attendees (other attendees, feel free to chime in to add or correct):
Dominated by Casitas (made in Texas, so most southern rallies are; and the rally was coordinated by Casita forum members)
Strong showing of Scamps
4 Lil' Snoozies
2 EggCampers
1 Escape
1 Oliver
1 BigFoot
1 U-Haul
0 ParkLiners (made close by in North Caroline! Where are they?)
Small spattering of mostly local stickies, motorhomes, a couple AirStreams, etc., etc.

I'll try to remember to suggest to the organizers that we do an official count in years to come. It would be interesting info...

Dale

PS. It was abundantly clear at the rally that CLAM tents have become an extremely popular camper accessory!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #31

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Being a LiL Snoozy owner I am a bit prejudiced but I counted 7 of our brand on Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #32

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Sorry for the slight, Charlie. Not sure how I missed so many Snoozies - unless there was a bunch of them near the U-Haul, because once I laid eyes on that little U-Haul, I became totally engrossed in it for about the next half hour! I recall 1 Snoozie two years ago, and 2 last year. To have 7 this year is great! Did you get a chance to tour through the Oliver Legacy II that came in from North Carolina? Gorgeous inside and out.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #33

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The U Hauls are neat. There were three of us last year. We left on Saturday morning so you may have missed us. I don't get to look at the Ollie. I saw one at Cherokee last fall. They are very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:26 PM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
a 5er can be easier to maneuver vs a bumper pull of the same length
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:23 AM   #35

Florida
Registry
Our first viewing of the Oliver was when we "toured" the factory. It was extremely interesting to see how they were assembled. It is worth a trip to Hohenwald if the opportunity presents itself.