which tows best? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2016, 08:04 PM   #29

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
...The 5th wheel trailer setup tow vehicle will ride better than a "Tag" trailer behind the same tow vehicle...
That's a good point that I'd forgotten about. Travel trailers tend to have a 'porpoise-like' motion on rough highways which jiggles the tow vehicle. This can be annoying. A weight distribution hitch will reduce this motion substantially, but not get rid of it completely. However, 5th wheel trailers don't produce that jiggle because they can't get much leverage on the back end of the vehicle.

I'd better watch myself, or I'm liable to talk myself into a pickup truck... so I can get a 5er!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #30

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I'm not sure these statistics. First, I have not attended any FG rallies where tow behinds outnumber 5ers 50:1. Perhaps 10:1 or 15:1.
Carl, It would be interesting to do an official census next year, but at the recent Green Eggs & Ham fiberglass camper rally (Gunter Hill COE campground, Montgomery, AL), there were 90+ rigs registered. We toured the campground several times, and I recall seeing only 1 fiberglass 5th wheeler, and that was a Scamp right next door to us. Interestingly, it was being towed by a Toyota Tacoma, which many people argue can't pull a 5th wheel because of its composite (non-metal) bed. The owner took a standard Scamp 5th wheel hitch to a welding shop, had them weld steel bars to the bottom of it long enough to utilize the factory bed bolts, then weld some angle braces to prevent side-to-side flexing (since it couldn't be bolted to the wheel wells). He camps a lot and said it has worked great for him.

A few observations regarding GE&H attendees (other attendees, feel free to chime in to add or correct):
Dominated by Casitas (made in Texas, so most southern rallies are; and the rally was coordinated by Casita forum members)
Strong showing of Scamps
4 Lil' Snoozies
2 EggCampers
1 Escape
1 Oliver
1 BigFoot
1 U-Haul
0 ParkLiners (made close by in North Caroline! Where are they?)
Small spattering of mostly local stickies, motorhomes, a couple AirStreams, etc., etc.

I'll try to remember to suggest to the organizers that we do an official count in years to come. It would be interesting info...

Dale

PS. It was abundantly clear at the rally that CLAM tents have become an extremely popular camper accessory!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #31

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Being a LiL Snoozy owner I am a bit prejudiced but I counted 7 of our brand on Friday.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #32

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Sorry for the slight, Charlie. Not sure how I missed so many Snoozies - unless there was a bunch of them near the U-Haul, because once I laid eyes on that little U-Haul, I became totally engrossed in it for about the next half hour! I recall 1 Snoozie two years ago, and 2 last year. To have 7 this year is great! Did you get a chance to tour through the Oliver Legacy II that came in from North Carolina? Gorgeous inside and out.... Dale
Old 04-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #33

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
The U Hauls are neat. There were three of us last year. We left on Saturday morning so you may have missed us. I don't get to look at the Ollie. I saw one at Cherokee last fall. They are very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 AM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
a 5er can be easier to maneuver vs a bumper pull of the same length
Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #35
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Our first viewing of the Oliver was when we "toured" the factory. It was extremely interesting to see how they were assembled. It is worth a trip to Hohenwald if the opportunity presents itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV