Which trailer do you regret selling? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Which trailer do you regret selling?

I have 3 trailers.
1) 1992 13' Scamp standard. It has the front sofa, 3-way fridge, awning, stove, no heater, no A/C. Very sentimental as it is my first egg.

2) 2017 17' Casita Independence. It has a lot of bells and whistles. 3" lift kit, 15" tires, solar, Honda generator, A/C, heat, full bath/shower, awning.

3) 2008 16' Scamp Deluxe. Birch cabinets, heat, A/C, stove & oven, side bath/shower.

I don't have to sell any of them, I have the space for them at my home. It just feels a little excessive.

I should probably sell one of them, but at this time I'm having a hard time deciding which should go. I thought I'd ask the forum which trailer any of you have sold and regretted. I don't want to have seller's remorse and it helps to read other's opinions.

Thank you.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I have 3 trailers.
1) 1992 Scamp standard. It has the front sofa, 3-way fridge, awning, stove, no heater, no A/C. Very sentimental as it is my first egg.

2) 2017 17' Casita Independence. It has a lot of bells and whistles. 3" lift kit, 15" tires, solar, Honda generator, A/C, heat, full bath/shower, awning.

3) 2008 16' Scamp Deluxe. Birch cabinets, heat, A/C, stove & oven, side bath/shower.

I don't have to sell any of them, I have the space for them at my home. It just feels a little excessive.

I should probably sell one of them, but at this time I'm having a hard time deciding which should go. I thought I'd ask the forum which trailer any of you have sold and regretted. I don't want to have seller's remorse and it helps to read other's opinions.

Thank you.
Regret Selling = 2013 - 17 ft Casita SD
Regret Buying = 2018 - 21 ft SOB
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We haven't had a fiberglass egg yet, but 10 other RVs. I have no regrets on selling any of them, but in your place, I would not sell the first one as I think you may have a sentimental attachment that would cause buyer's remorse.
With houses that we sold, I have always regretted selling was our first home where memories with the kids were made, although because of jobs, there wasn't a choice.

If one doesn't need the money and has the space to store a "collection", I wouldn't see any reason to really sell, unless one was intent on becoming a minimalist.

Rhetorical question, but I can't help but wonder why you consider owning 3 (a collection) excessive.

Good luck with your decision.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I have 3 trailers.
1) 1992 Scamp standard. It has the front sofa, 3-way fridge, awning, stove, no heater, no A/C. Very sentimental as it is my first egg.

Thank you.
If I had your wonderful dilemma I would first consider what use you plan for each.
If it is commonly as guest house then keep the Casita and the Scamp16D.
If you take both weekenders and longer trips then keep the Scamp13 and the Scamp16D.
If you decide on only one trailer with no regrets keep the Scamp16D.

Ultimately you must decide which you would miss the most.

I have owned and built lots of cars and trailers and have had strong sentimental attachments to several of them. Keep what works best.

Sentiment often manifests itself better as a memory than as a reality.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #5

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Just a couple cents here. I haven't sold a trailer yet.

Keep the newest one. It has the features that make camping nicer in the modern world.
Keep the oldest one for nostalgia, and maybe some historical value in the long term.

Also, consider selling prices, what you paid, and what to do with the funds from selling... Would it be another trailer to do some refurbishment on?
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #6

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Any particular reason you regret buying the SOB?
Old 01-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #7

California
Registry
Thank you all for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Rhetorical question, but I can't help but wonder why you consider owning 3 (a collection) excessive.

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you for your reply. I guess I think it's excessive as a few friends have asked, what I need 3 trailers for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
If you decide on only one trailer with no regrets keep the Scamp16D.
I do love the Scamp 16D the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
Also, consider selling prices, what you paid, and what to do with the funds from selling... Would it be another trailer to do some refurbishment on?
Luckily, I bought used on all three, so a lot of the depreciation has been accounted for, exception is the 2017 Casita. I think this makes me think I'm going to try and hold onto them a while longer.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #8

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Assuming #1 is a 13 footer. In that case, one of either #2 or #3 is redundant. So sell one of the redundant ones (your choice, which one to you like the least). Think of recent vacations with #2 and #3, which one did you prefer?
Thank you for wondering if #1 is a 13 footer, it allowed me to change the text in that first post to reflect that it is.

I was looking for a 16' Scamp Deluxe when the Casita came up for sale. Of course, once I bought the Casita, my dream 16 Deluxe came up for sale, so I had to buy it or regret not buying it.

Basically, I thought a 13' and 16' Scamp duo would be ideal for whichever type of camping/traveling I was going to do.

The Casita is the odd duck for me, but it has sooooo many improvements and boondocking features that it's hard to let that one go.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
More than one trailer. More tags, more taxes, more insurance, more tires to buy, more bearings to pack, more shells to wax and more stuff to buy, and each year they get one year older. I speak from experience. When you get older you don't own stuff, the stuff begins to own you.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
What's an SOB? (In this context...)
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post

Dunham's SOB is an Escape 21 that he bought used and now complains about, without ever disclosing that he didn't buy it new.
He also doesn't disclose that ETI has gone out it's way to help him. He chooses to use that to complain that service centres are too far away from his home in the wilderness.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:33 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
In this context, SOB stands for “some other brand.”

I can understand that someone can be unhappy with any trailer. I find my Escape to be the best trailer I personally have owned. Steve feels different about his. In my case, the absolute worst (POS in my opinion) was a Scamp I purchased new. I would personally never own another Scamp or have any dealings with that company again. I would rather camp in a large cardboard box. But others love their Scamps. Some out of brand loyalty, some because they didn’t have to experience the exasperating and numerous flaws I did every time (and I do mean every time) I used it. But that is what is great about having more than one FG trailer manufacturer; we have choices and we have the right to make them and to formulate whether we made good or bad choices. I am happy for all the Scamp owners who are content with their Scamps, and have empathy for those who are not happy with their choices.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
On this forum SOB normally refers to a non-molded trailer brand. Steve’s use of the term for a molded Escape is pointed, but he’d best be the one to explain his point.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:18 AM   #14

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We had a 2003 Bigfoot 25'. It easily had 100,000 miles on it and was in great shape. A friend wanted to get a Lance 1995 and the dealer had two used ones in great shape. We bought these two in the fall and sold our Bigfoot in the spring. Took the Lance on one five week trip starting the end of May and realized what a mistake we'd made.

As soon as we got home we looked at an Escape 21' and 5.0 fifth wheel. We've had 13 used campers in the past and for the first time bought a new camper, an Escape 5.0.

Ironically, the next spring, after two major trips with the Escape, the owner of our old 2003 Bigfoot called and informed me her husband passed away over the winter. I helped her sell the Bigfoot for $3,500 more than was purchased from us. They had installed a new awning, new battery, new LP and fire detectors, and porcelain toilet.

The couple who purchased the Bigfoot removed the queen bed and installed two twin beds. They also ripped out the dinette and installed a fully reclining love seat in front.

The changes both couples did were going to be done by me. BTW, the friend who purchased the other Lance 1995 sold it the next spring and never camped in it.

We do love our 5.0, and in the first year of ownership put nearly 19,000 miles just pulling the 5.0, with 198 nights of camping. Tomorrow we leave for the SW for three months.

Hindsight is 20/10.

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #15

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Dunham's SOB is an Escape 21 that he bought used and now complains about, without ever disclosing that he didn't buy it new.
He also doesn't disclose that ETI has gone out it's way to help him. He chooses to use that to complain that service centres are too far away from his home in the wilderness.
The original purchaser of our Escape tailer ordered the trailer from Escape , paid for the trailer , picked it up from Escape , brought it home from Escape and never used it because his wife became ill . Escape extended the full two year new owner warranty to us . ( Trailer is still under warranty ) Escape and I consider us as first owners
Mr Baglo again is speaking out of turn with no actual knowledge of the situation but that’s what he seems to do best
We have had problems with leaks , the furnace , plumbing ,lighting , propane ,
system , leaking black water piping , refrigerator , broken framing , screen door fell off ,A/C , , main door way out of alignment , Windows , defective EMS , electrical , range hood , thermostat etc etc etc
I’ve repaired these items on my own time and mostly at my expense
( Escape did furnish a tube of caulk )
The trailer listed new for almost $48,000 CND plus custom flooring , counters , fabric
The majority of the problems with our Escape are directly attributable to three things , sloppy workmanship , cheap parts , cutting corners

No I am not happy with Escape and would not recommend them to others
At the price Escape charges I expected better

Glenn , I wish you would get your nose out of my business and put your head where it truly belongs .
Old 01-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
The original purchaser of our Escape tailer ordered the trailer from Escape , paid for the trailer , picked it up from Escape , brought it home from Escape and never used it because his wife became ill . Escape extended the full two year new owner warranty to us . ( Trailer is still under warranty ) Escape and I consider us as first owners
Mr Baglo again is speaking out of turn with no actual knowledge of the situation but that’s what he seems to do best
We have had problems with leaks , the furnace , plumbing ,lighting , propane ,
system , leaking black water piping , refrigerator , broken framing , screen door fell off ,A/C , , main door way out of alignment , Windows , defective EMS , electrical , range hood , thermostat etc etc etc
I’ve repaired these items on my own time and mostly at my expense
( Escape did furnish a tube of caulk )
The trailer listed new for almost $48,000 CND plus custom flooring , counters , fabric
The majority of the problems with our Escape are directly attributable to three things , sloppy workmanship , cheap parts , cutting corners

No I am not happy with Escape and would not recommend them to others
At the price Escape charges I expected better

Glenn , I wish you would get your nose out of my business and put your head where it truly belongs .
Concerning your last line, Steve, don't post like you do if you can't handle the responses. It seems to go on and on.

Steve is not the most positive person in the world. His posts before he purchased the Escape were negative about Escape and there were many. He did not perform due diligence when purchasing the camper and had no idea what the previous owner did or did not do to the camper. Believe it or not, some sellers do not tell the truth, no matter how nice they appear. However, since Steve was negative about Escape before he purchased this camper perhaps he got his self-fulfilled prophecy.

He seems to relish complaining about his SOB though. Some glasses are half full and others are half empty.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've never sold a trailer, but have purchased two which I still own. I know all the warts on/in both trailers. Neither is perfect, but neither am I so I consider us a matched set! Both trailers function as designed. All the issues I've had were not the trailer manufacturers fault, but bad products from other manufacturers. The same appliances all the all-molded-towable manufacturers use. I'm on my second water pump, third propane regulator and second new furnace in my Escape. None of those products were manufactured by Escape. It can be a PITA at times, but I'm adaptable. When something stops working and can't be repaired while camping... carry on! It's not a first world problem and is solvable at home. Perhaps others prefer to be angry all the time. Not me, life is too short for that nonsense.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
...third propane regulator...
That's not unusual, though, is it? I read someone else post that they don't expect them to last more than two years... I'm new to all this, so that was the first time I ever thought of propane regulators as a wear item.

They are pretty cheap. Do FGRV veterans carry a spare?
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #19

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Concerning your last line, Steve, don't post like you do if you can't handle the responses. It seems to go on and on.

Steve is not the most positive person in the world. His posts before he purchased the Escape were negative about Escape and there were many. He did not perform due diligence when purchasing the camper and had no idea what the previous owner did or did not do to the camper. Believe it or not, some sellers do not tell the truth, no matter how nice they appear. However, since Steve was negative about Escape before he purchased this camper perhaps he got his self-fulfilled prophecy.

He seems to relish complaining about his SOB though. Some glasses are half full and others are half empty.

Enjoy,

Perry
OK Perry

I went out to my Escape one day and discovered that the area under the bed and the floor was covered in black water .
The problem was a result of Escape using the wrong sealant on the drain fitting connecting the drain piping to the black tank . If the tank is empty no problem but if you leave the tank with any liquid in it , it slowly leaks .
It took me 8 hours to cut out the bad sewer line and make the repairs

These types of problems and there were numerous others are not detectable with a normal visual inspection . I think it is unreasonable to expect the trailer purchaser to perform a pressure test on the plumbing system of the trailer
One should be able to expect that the trailer manufacturer build a product suitable for its intended usage .

We have no faith in the reliability of our trailer so it makes it difficult to plan longer trips with the threat of what will fail next hanging over our heads
I’ve owned a Scamp and a Casita but I feel no obligation to defend them when others state they have issues.

My bitch is with Escape and not with you . After owning both an Escape and a Casita , I think Casita builds a better trailer than Escape
Both of us should learn about the ignore feature on this forum and USE IT !!!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Personally, when something conks out or wears out on most anything I own I shrug it off and either replace the item with a better one if available, replace with the same unit and either hope it lasts longer or as long as the original. Or on small items throw it away and promise myself I won’t “have one of those again”. Maybe this is all a flawed philosophy because my attention span and drive to “get on with it”, doesn’t allow me to dwell on these things. I had a poorly built Chevy pickup ,no more Chevy pickups, same with one Ford I had. So as the man says
“You pays your money and you takes your chance.” I do not knock other people’s choices of equipment. It’s hard to judge someone else’s experience without knowing all the details. And there are always exceptions. Enjoy the sun, the snow, sunrises and sunsets. Alway remember you’re vertical and the alternative is not so good. I wish the guy who plows our association road would quit nicking up my turf grass at the top of my lot. Guess I’ll have to offer him a lesson in snow plowing but he will probably decline.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp