Which trailer to buy. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #15

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Thanks! So do you have the Pett brand, or a different one?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Bruce, I just weighed my 16' Scamp SD with the bath and it weighed 2400 pounds on the nose. Thats with a full water tank, full dual propane tanks, clothing and bedding and no A/C.
It's ready to go camping except for food in refrigerator and other odds and ends.
When it's fully packed I would guess the total weight will be no more than 2500 pounds at the most.
I tow with an automatic transmission 07 Toyota Tacoma with a 2.7 L rated at 159 hp. and rated to tow 3500 pounds. It's very rare when I cannot comfortably drive the speed limit or a little faster.
Last month I took a 3800 mile trip from Central California to Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP. The only time I could not maintain the speed limit or close to it was over the Teton pass which was a 6 or 7 mile 10% grade to the 9000 Summit.
I don't know how your 2.7 L vehicle compares to mine but maybe this will give you something to think about.
John

Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #17

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
I think it's the Pett Brand. Folds up and you put that funky stuff in it that turns into jelly.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Thanks for that Brian.

Seems a little heavy. I can feel it now when I tow my 2000 lbs. Bonaire tent trailer.

I don't think I would want to go higher than 2000 lbs.

Of course I should say that the BA-700 has no brakes.
I just wanted to comment on this: You should be able to "feel" the trailer back there. Any tow vehicle will accelerate slower and take longer to stop with a trailer in tow. It will feel bouncier and handle differently. This does not indicate a problem... it is just the nature of towing. The new VW Golf is rated by VW to tow 3,300 pounds. I'm sure your Santa Fe can handle at least its rated capacity. My subcompact Scion xD is rated to tow about 1,600 pounds... and I tow a Scamp that weighs about 1,400 pounds once all of our gear is in it. I wouldn't want to drive through the Rockies all the time... but we don't have a problem keeping up on the highway in most conditions. I just went on a 200+ mile camping trip and got 26 MPG. Even in A/C weather, it wasn't even stressing the little 1.8 liter engine enough to run the cooling fan very often. In fact, it usually only came on when I was stopped in traffic (and I did hit some nasty beach traffic on Friday).

Watch the tongue weight, though... a lot of the floor plans have the bathroom in the front of the trailer, which tends to make them quite front-heavy.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #19

Montana
Registry
I can't feel a thing.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #20

Montana
Registry
I would like to add that I did notice our 13' Scamp was "back there" when it was loaded heavy on the Tundra. We took my son and his friend to the Scout Ranch for the summer and loaded the packs into the trailer. You could feel the weight and I felt sorry for the Little White Hamp getting it's nose pulled. You have to be from Iowa to understand that one.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Hello everyone.
My TV is a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 2.7 auto. I love this vehicle and will not replace it anytime soon but, My better half has decided she no longer wishes to camp sans bathroom.
Frankly, My progressing arthritis is also making me dislike the idea of setting up and taking down the whole shebang.

I don't have the money to afford anything too new at the moment and would actually like to do a bit of restoration work on an older Boler or similar.

My question is. What would be a decent older trailer with a bathroom that can sleep 3 (mother may come along at some point in the future) and be tow-able with my current TV?

I should add that when I say bathroom, I mean a toilet. No shower required. (we do bathe but normally stay at campsites with facilities)

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Bruce.
I read this and thought, sure there are 13' Casitas and Scamps with bathrooms, no problem. Then I reread it and it hit me: AND it has to sleep 3 adults. Problem! For a trailer that weighs only 2000 lbs, anyway. Am I right or am I missing something obvious? When you add the bathroom to the 13 you lose the bunk. Some 16s have the layout, but I'm not sure the weight will be as low as desired.

And anyhow, when the needs get this specific the chances of coming across a used trailer of that exact type are pretty low.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
The new VW Golf is rated by VW to tow 3,300 pounds.
Where did you find this info? I've googled and checked msn autos site and can't find a thing. If the Golf TDI has this rating I would have to take a serious look at it... but it may be just the gas model, I suppose.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #23

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
The 13' Escapes can be made to order with bathrooms, but you do lose the front bunk, and you didn't want to have to buy new (don't think they are being made any more anyway). You mention that maybe in the future you would want to take your Mom along, how much into the future? Although buying a trailer is a big purchase, FGRVs hold their value if cared for and maybe getting what you want and need now is a good idea and if the need arises for a larger one get it then.

My husband always says if my Mom would go with us he'd sleep in a tent outside! (we need two beds, one trailer size bed doesn't work for us). She's 89, the idea intrigues her, but she is too frail for camping. We took her on a trip, stayed in a place with cabins and camp sites, she got to have her own cabin. Worked very well.

I agree with the porta potti idea, that's what we used in our first FGRV - a 13' Burro, just slipped it under the bed. There is no privacy, a factor if your Mom is along, but then there isn't much privacy in a 13' trailer anyway.

There may not be a trailer that meets ALL your needs. Perhaps if you find one that needs a lot of restoration you could build in a small, toilet only bathroom, likely you will need to sacrifice something - a closet, a bed, a frig, to create the space.

Good luck!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote