Which Trailers Have A Double Shell? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Gathering Details
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Snoozy is not a double Hull as described above.
Sorry wrong word. Double SHELL not double Hull.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Sorry wrong word. Double SHELL not double Hull.

What the heck is the difference between a "shell" and a "hull"????

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #17

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
As John mentions "The Escape is a single shell....The Oliver is a double shell." So Snoozy is a single shell to him and me. I don't know what Cathy would call it. I get a kick out of Semantics It's a shell game in this forum.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Gathering Details
Illinois
The Oliver site said Double Wall Insulated Fiberglass. The snoozy has double fiberglass walls with insulation between them. Ins't that the same thing? just asking....
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
As John mentions "The Escape is a single shell....The Oliver is a double shell." So Snoozy is a single shell to him and me. I don't know what Cathy would call it. I get a kick out of Semantics It's a shell game in this forum.

The Escape has a single fiberglass surface...the Oliver has two (one inside and one outside).

Doesn't the Snoozy have two fiberglass surfaces, one on the inside and one on the outside? Is the distinction that the Snoozy has foam between them whereas the Oliver doesn't????

Francesca
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #20

US
Now we have 3 words, shell, wall and Hull LOL. There is a cross section photo of the Snoozy in the archives. Someone took it at the factory. We need Brian B-P in here, he will get everything in order for us. Brian if you are out there, help
Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #21

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Floyd is my living testament for keeping Scamp near the top of my list even after seeing the video. OK, what I saw in the video was the outer flimsy pieces, shell (?) and then they sprayed it, combed it around, stuck the Reflectix insulation (this is good as I used to line a pop-up for desert summer camping) and then glued on the headline/carpet. Would that be the standard for Escape and Casita also, more or less. I am torn between the beautiful Scamp cabinets and the clean cut molded in cabinets of Eggcamper and Trillium. I would have to admit if I find a nice used unit that I would have more wiggle room in my decision making. I'll go to the manufacturer's website and see if I get a clearer idea of what I am talking about. Thanks! ***I have just realized that most of the websites don't do a "cut-away" view of the construction. They mostly don't give you a lot of info before they get you really interested?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #22

Registry
Hoo boy I know what you mean.

In my opinion, the main division in the molded fiberglass trailer world is the fiberglass versus wood interiors. I much prefer the utility/longevity of fiberglass cabinetry, especially if shopping for older units. (Less wood= fewer opportunities for water damage)

This may not be as big a consideration when choosing among brand new trailers. In nearly all cases, the interior cabinetry forms part of the supporting bones, and for that purpose wood is as effective as fiberglass.

After that, it's more a matter of "feel" and maintenance ease than anything else.

Speaking of fiberglass interiors, though: Have you taken a look at the Parkliner? Sure is purty! ( link to site)

Francesca
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #23

US
I thought I read a while back Casita has no R value on their lining material they use. Didn't know if that was important to you or not in your further reading/research.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #24

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
In the 2008 Oliver's there are two layers of fiberglass each about one half inch thick with about a half inch dead air space between them that is sprayed with a product called LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation on the inside surfaces between the two shells. Their website states that heat is reduced by 30F or more. I don't know how it would be without it, but we've never been cold in it sleeping many times when the temps dipped into the 20's. After speaking to the Oliver's at the rally in Townsend, I think the plan is to use thinsulate in the new 22 footers. It was also used in the older models under the holding tanks that are located between the floors.
The molded interior is both structural and functional forming all the spaces needed for storage (overhead cabinets and under seating areas) and the two sinks (kitchen and bathroom) plus the niches for the fridge and the microwave.
The roof is made up of the two fiberglass shells each bonded to about an inch thick layer of a fiberglass honeycomb looking materiel. The combined thickness of the roof is nearly 3 inches with the two shells and about a half inch layer of glue between them. It can easily withstand the weight of someone standing on it with zero give.
There is NO structural wood anywhere in the coach. There are a couple of decorative trim pieces in ours but the new models offer the option of Corian to replace even that.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
In the 2008 Oliver's there are two layers of fiberglass each about one half inch thick with about a half inch dead air space between them that is sprayed with a product called LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation on the inside surfaces between the two shells. Their website states that heat is reduced by 30F or more. I don't know how it would be without it, but we've never been cold in it sleeping many times when the temps dipped into the 20's. After speaking to the Oliver's at the rally in Townsend, I think the plan is to use thinsulate in the new 22 footers. It was also used in the older models under the holding tanks that are located between the floors.
The molded interior is both structural and functional forming all the spaces needed for storage (overhead cabinets and under seating areas) and the two sinks (kitchen and bathroom) plus the niches for the fridge and the microwave.
The roof is made up of the two fiberglass shells each bonded to about an inch thick layer of a fiberglass honeycomb looking materiel. The combined thickness of the roof is nearly 3 inches with the two shells and about a half inch layer of glue between them. It can easily withstand the weight of someone standing on it with zero give.
There is NO structural wood anywhere in the coach. There are a couple of decorative trim pieces in ours but the new models offer the option of Corian to replace even that.
An inch thickness of fiberglass wall on a trailer the size of an Oliver would likely result in two instant blowouts!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #26
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Thanks Steve for the detailed description of the Oliver construction - very interesting.

Do you know if the new Oliver models will retain the aluminum frame?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #27

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
Do you know if the new Oliver models will retain the aluminum frame?
GPJ:

The new frames will be the same as in the older models. They are welded from 2 x 5 inch box aluminum. The only steel is the bulldog hitch that has to be thru-bolted to the tongue.

floyd:

As far as the inch of fiberglass blowing out the tires, we've been lucky so far, but you are perceptive about the weight, ours will weigh right at 4000 pounds when it is loaded up and ready to travel. In the beginning the Oliver's were built outfitted with 3500 pound axles. After a couple of near failures, the company retrofitted all the 17 footers with 5200 pound axles each with three new 15 inch wheels and tires to match the now 6 bolt pattern. I further upgraded ours to 16 inch wheels with light truck tires so I feel like we are good to go.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #28

US
Remember Cherie & Chris damage (bent?) frame Jeep