Who camps in cold weather this time of year? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
One foot note: You have not lived until you have enjoyed a couple weeks with -48C (-54.5F) for the daytime highs. Lots of layers and hot co-co and even that can be fun; hope you have a lot of fun.

Have used two 20lb tanks up in just one night the colder it is the more you use. Get really good winter sleeping bags best available in your area two that zip into double bag is always fun.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I camped about 20 miles from my home in a Fire safe area in the Forest at 8200' elevation last Saturday.
I finished up putting a 60w panel on my slide in pop up camper on Friday so I thought I would try it out.
I didn't have a thermometer, but it was cold enough that night to freeze a bottle of water I left on my ATV trailer.
I also installed a programmable thermostat so I set it for 50 degrees sleep time and to come on at 6:30 am and 70 degrees.
I'm an old guy and forgot about getting up in the middle of the night.
That was cold.
I was nice to be able to get up in a warm camper at 6:30.
I've camped in the same area in my Scamp in a blizzard and was quit comfortable.
The town I live in is surrounded by the Sequoia National Forest and it's about 30 miles from here to the Mojave Desert so I do quit a bit of winter camping.

I was camped in some tall trees so my panel only had filtered light.
The battery was topped of when I came back for lunch at about 1 pm.

John

Old 12-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #17

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Looks like Missouri has and northern low of only 18F you will have to go north my friend to really enjoy winter camping.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:11 AM   #18

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
One foot note: You have not lived until you have enjoyed a couple weeks with -48C (-54.5F) for the daytime highs. Lots of layers and hot co-co and even that can be fun; hope you have a lot of fun.

Have used two 20lb tanks up in just one night the colder it is the more you use. Get really good winter sleeping bags best available in your area two that zip into double bag is always fun.
We had 2 full 30 lb tanks of propane on our trailer for the opening weekennd of deer hunting .Sunday morning we were almost out of propane .Drove around for 4 hours trying to find anyone with propane to sell . Ended up having to buy a 100 lb tank . There is something to say for wood heat especially when the electric power goes out or you run out of propane . We have cooked several Thanksgiving dinners on top of our woodstove and eaten our Thanksgiving meal by candlelight
Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
jck

Name: James
Trailer: Big Foot
Colorado
I am an avid hunter and do most of my camping in the fall and the winter. I have a 21ft 4 Season Bigfoot and routinely boondock in the mountains of Colorado and the farm fields of Colorado and Kansas in temperatures below freezing. I travel with a full fresh water tank enclosed in the trailer but with the fresh water lines and drains winterized. When I reach my destination I start the furnace, fill the lines with fresh water, and fill and start the water heater.

Most of my trips last a week to 10 days and quite often the temps will have daytime highs in the teens and nighttimes as low as -15F. I take two 30lb propane bottles and have never run out. The furnace cycles frequently so I run my generator for several hours each evening to keep my AGM battery charged.

If the temps are below freezing on my return trip I isolate and empty the hot water heater and winterize the water lines and drains.

The black and gray tanks are enclosed and the air ducts from the furnace have always kept the tanks from freezing. I dump at the nearest dump station on my return trip.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #20

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
It's 80 degrees in South Texas. I'm in shorts and a tee shirt! Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #21

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Glad I can look at the Jayco out the front window and not living in it this winter.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #22

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
camping in Winter

Luckely, I have a nice grassed 7 acre field up hill from the house 150 ft. a 15 amp circuit 10 ft. away, so My 13 ft. Patriot Deluxe Casita is sitting on wood blocks, so I can camp "out" any time I want.
I have a nice metal fire ring sitting on metal for better fire safety,
a nice Picnic table also on blocks,& a Umbrella bolted to the southern end of it.
I don't need water up there being so close to the house.
last weekend 4 friends from Richmond camped out there, they slept in their tent But Cassie was there for cooking support.
I have a portable Radio inside for Entertainment if wanted.
I really love going to Virginia State Parks, But Having my Own place (essentially Free) is nice too.
sparky1 in southern, Va..