who carries 20,000 cash???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Traveling from camping a man in a big red pick-up honked up a storm. I assumed he was trying to merge as the lane was in such a manner. So I pull off my exit heading home and he pulls up beside my vehicle. Say's "hey Im an elk hunter, you selling that trailer." I replied no, no thanks. He holds up a four inch wad of cash and say's "even for this." All I saw was a hundred wrapped around a whole lotta cash. I said "how much you got there?"...his reply $20,000......I was ready to pull over sell him my tow vehicle and car and make the kids walk the rest of the way home. He said how about 2,300 for the trailer......I said....I was thinking of a number a lot higher than that? *cough, cough 6,000* for that I would have signed the title right there and walked away to find my next project. So needless to say he bid me farwell and the traffic light changed. Afterwards I was thinking..who carries 20,000 cash...hummmmmm
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Traveling from camping a man in a big red pick-up honked up a storm. I assumed he was trying to merge as the lane was in such a manner. So I pull off my exit heading home and he pulls up beside my vehicle. Say's "hey Im an elk hunter, you selling that trailer." I replied no, no thanks. He holds up a four inch wad of cash and say's "even for this." All I saw was a hundred wrapped around a whole lotta cash. I said "how much you got there?"...his reply $20,000......I was ready to pull over sell him my tow vehicle and car and make the kids walk the rest of the way home. He said how about 2,300 for the trailer......I said....I was thinking of a number a lot higher than that? *cough, cough 6,000* for that I would have signed the title right there and walked away to find my next project. So needless to say he bid me farwell and the traffic light changed. Afterwards I was thinking..who carries 20,000 cash...hummmmmm
Sorta sounds like the old line, "Hey, little girl want a piece of candy?" Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ive had that happen to me before to buy my truck. The only thing that crossed my mind was That wad of cash could be a bundle of lazer printed paper
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I replied no, no thanks....I said "how much you got there?"...his reply $20,000............I said....I was thinking of a number a lot higher than that?
My approach to crazy guys has recently become this: Look straight ahead, Marv. Don't roll down the window. Don't acknowledge the guy. Look straight ahead. OK, light is green. Proceed with caution. Whew! Another crisis averted!

MarvonW.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 12 ft Chariot (Stealth Egg) and 1987 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Talking

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">I have built / drove Hot Rods and collector cars my whole life, I always get the "how much for that" or I'll buy it" comments. My pat response has always been : You don't have enough.

One time in the mid 1980's I repeated my usual comeback to a guy in a suit who had just interrupted my lunch to ask if the "55" outside was mine and how much would I take for it.

I told him "You don't have enough" and he stood there dumbfounded for a minute or so then just said very quietly "I think I do"

I wrote a ridiculous number on a napkin, handed it to him, and he paid cash for my 55

Anymore I wouldn't do a sale on the spot as chances are the bills could be counterfeit. </span>
DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Sorta sounds like the old line, "Hey, little girl want a piece of candy?" Larry
........l...a...r...r...y..
Old 08-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Larry and Carrie may not be so far off---my first thought was "what if this is the new way to get close to a victim?" YIKES
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Larry and Carrie may not be so far off---my first thought was "what if this is the knew way to get close to a victim?" YIKES
True , just 'cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean their not out to get you!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Afterwards I was thinking..who carries 20,000 cash...hummmmmm
I agree Brandy, I've been carrying $50,000 for a number of years now, $20k was just never enough....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Larry and Carrie may not be so far off---my first thought was "what if this is the knew way to get close to a victim?" YIKES
True , just 'cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean their not out to get you!
Who knows maybe they hate redundancy!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #11

Quote:
I agree Brandy, I've been carrying $50,000 for a number of years now, $20k was just never enough....

Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
that is how I sold my Element..sort of. I had no intention of selling it *that day*.. I had only mentioned in a car wash to someone I was sort of thinking about selling it. They said "really?" They gave me cash on the spot.. and a ride home
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #13

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
a few years ago when my company was on strike I did some fill in work with a door company i used to work for.
One of the jobs we did was at a huge house and garage being built for a fellow near moonstone ontario, the garage was 40x60 with 16 foot ceilings, no posts inside. The house was about 5000 sq, feet, and had a 3 car garage attached. All the doors were custom painted, and special order he paid us cash, out of a paper bag. Had us wondering at first, but it seems he was just a bit eccentric, and believed in cash only. He even paid the guys delivering transport-loads of angelstone in cash.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
a few years ago i was at a gas station filling up my harley and a man walked over to me and asked if it was for sale,
I replied back " everything is for sale if the price is right"
He asked how much, I told him a price
He payed me in cash and followed me home, and then we loaded it up in the back of his truck and drove off.
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... To check American banknotes for authenticity...smudge them on a white kleenex/paper. The ink never dries, so they should leave a green smudge
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Drug money
Click image for larger version

Name:	customs_16.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	22855
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I just scrubbed and scrubbed a US dollar bill back and forth on a paper towel, and no smudge. And it's even humid here. So I wonder if that really works? I've also never noticed any green rubbed of onto anything where I've carried US money.

Unless you're joking and I didn't get it (Has been known to happen! )
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #18

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
In the early 80's while stopped at a gas station in my Austin Healey 3000, a young fellow came up and asked me if the car was for sale. I gave him a price and my business card. Two years later he shows up at my office with $10K cash. The largest bill was a $20 and all looked like they'd been buried for some time. We went over to my bank and a teller confirmed they were all legit. He then said he'd moved to the west coast and asked if I'd hold the car until he returned in a few weeks. It was over a year before I saw him again - and I still had the title in my name. At the time I thought this kid had to be truly dumb but, if the car is in anywhere near the same condition today that it was then, he was a lot sharper than I.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
Quote:
Hi: All... To check American banknotes for authenticity...smudge them on a white kleenex/paper. The ink never dries, so they should leave a green smudge
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
As my wife and I stood in line to see a boat called "Riva" and Italian made boat at the Miami boat show in the mid eighties...they only allowed 6 people on baord at a time....this guy in line asked as many of us had how much?....he went in to tour the boat came out and told the guy with the white gloves that he wanted everyone off of his boat!....he bought the boat on the spot for 110,000 thousand!!!!!!!!!!!.....My wife and I were next in line to see the boat and never got on it.....
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

DRUGS - DROGAS - see photo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	070322money.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	22963

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/pressrel/205_million.wmv

It's unbelieveable! How much do these guys need?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote