Who gave you your love for camping! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...To me camping is sleeping on the ground in a tent , cooking over an open fire , using a log as a bathroom , getting up and going to bed with the sun, and taking a bath in the closest stream or pond.
C'mon Steve... a tent? Surely that's cheating! Build your own shelter.

If that's camping, then it's illegal or restricted in much of the developed world.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #22

Name: Pamela
Trailer: 2010 13 foot Scamp
Minnesota
I grew up camping. We had a large canvas tent we used for years. Graduated to an old Shasta camper we all loved. Mostly camped in the mountains of Montana and Northern Idaho. Lots of family fun. Fishing, hiking, ghost stories around a campfire. When we weren't camping, the canvas tent was set up in the back yard at the base of the mountain all summer. All 5 of us kids slept out there all summer.
PamelaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
New three sided outhouse for deer hunting. Much better than our old log. Perfectly legal , functional and rather homey !!!
Almost like REAL camping .
Attached Thumbnails
20171114_162931.jpg  
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #24

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
It was definitely my dad. Like many of you, we were unable to take expensive vacations, so every summer, my parents would load all five kids into the van, hitch up the pop up and head for the Rocky Mountains. We would spent ten days, camping our way around the Rockies. My mom HATED camping, but my dad took us hiking and kayaking and rafting to give her time to read her books. I absolutely loved it. Out of five kids, three of us still camp regularly and two would rather cut off their own arm then camp
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Sure that's hunting and not just sett'n?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
C'mon Steve... a tent? Surely that's cheating! Build your own shelter.

If that's camping, then it's illegal or restricted in much of the developed world.
You need to find somebody to take you one an extended backpacking trip. You have no choice, but to do as Steve said.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #27

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
You need to find somebody to take you one an extended backpacking trip. You have no choice, but to do as Steve said.
Been there, done that, Byron. Spent a week backpacking in the Grand Canyon and a week (several times) kayaking on Lake Powell where I not only had to do business in the wild, but pack it out. All of it. I did several sections of the Appalachian Trail when I was a teenager and college student. Cat holes were allowed there. Once my brother and I were sleeping under a tarp- no tent- and I slid downhill about 30 feet while I slept and woke up with a raccoon on top of my legs.

I'm done!
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Been there, done that, Byron. Spent a week backpacking in the Grand Canyon and a week (several times) kayaking on Lake Powell where I not only had to do business in the wild, but pack it out. All of it. I did several sections of the Appalachian Trail when I was a teenager and college student. Cat holes were allowed there. Once my brother and I were sleeping under a tarp- no tent- and I slid downhill about 30 feet while I slept and woke up with a raccoon on top of my legs.

I'm done!
I am truly surprised , I never expected you to be a quitter !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #29

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
started young

When I was four months old my family went to Yosemite (we lived in San Francisco). They popped the trunk lid on the Plymouth (this was in 1950 and made a bed for me and my twin brother in there. They hitched up their army pup tent to the trunk lid and put my two year old sister and four and a half year old sister to sleep inside the car. This was the beginning for me. Over the years we camped in many parks with our final family vacation a three month trip from S.F. to the Montreal Worlds fair and then down through Maine, New York (okay we stayed in a hotel there) and Connecticut and back through the states. We traveled through 34 states. My father had a very generous vacation plan. The last time I camped with my mother (my dad had passed away) she was pushing 80 and it was back to Yosemite. I raised my kids as campers and they love it too. Now my husband and I camp. I had to teach him to love it too.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #30

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I gave it to myself The family I grew up in did not go camping. Never slept in a tent until I was an adult. My family did not own an RV during my childhood years. My mother eventually bought a travel trailer but that was after I left home. It was her purchase and her trailer and it was not my father's idea although he did travel in it with her once in a while.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #31

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am truly surprised , I never expected you to be a quitter !
LOL... lets not call it quitting, eh? I prefer to think of it as transitioning to a different kind of camping. A back injury made backpacking difficult- too much bending and working on the ground- so now it's the Scamp- if you still want to call it camping...

No more cat holes and no more finicky white gas backpacking stoves, but I still cook outside, sometimes over wood.

Happy camping, with gratitude to those who taught me how!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #32

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
For the love of the great outdoors

Wow! So many great stories. So many wonderful memories...

My story started as a small boy in a family of six children. My mom would insist that my dad take "the boys" with him when he went hunting/fishing/etc., as a means of survival on her part, so that she could manage the remaining four girls and everyone would/could survive.

As a result, my dad introduced my brother and me to the outdoors on our many adventures. I fell in love with those adventures and over the years my dad showed us so many things: how to clean a fish, gut a squirrel or build a deer stand. I remember vividly standing in the far north woods of Minnesota when my dad told me to step over a tiny trickle of a stream. When I asked why, he told me that some day I would be able to tell someone, "I walked across the Mississippi River." Was it the actual head waters of the Mississippi? It was to me!

We slept in the back of a station wagon and fished all day for sunnies that were bigger than my dad's hand! (His hand was huge back then!) We hiked through woods, pre-hunting for the coming deer season and we learned gun safety while learning to shoot.

Years later, I thanked my dad for the gift he gave me, the love of all things outdoors, and told him that I hoped I could be half the father that he was to me and give that same gift to my son.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:37 PM   #33

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Sailing to Hiking to Canoeing to Trailering

Since my father was a shipwright I grew up in a sail boat. We camped on the small boat or on the beach. Later with younger siblings we camped in an old green canvas umbrella tent. It always smelled at the beginning of the season from the waterproofing solution he applied. And "Don't touch the sides!" was a refrain heard when it was raining. We cooked outside, sometimes on a fire, sometimes on a Coleman type stove. Also a noisy Coleman lantern. We travelled for a month at a time all over North America. This was in the '50's when campground weren't so numerous and the Trans-Canada Highway was still gravel in parts. So we would often camp at the unused one room schools that were empty for the summer. They always had an outside pump for water from the well. And an outhouse. The price was right. My parents thought nothing of taking me out of school for a few months of travel and camping. My father built a roof rack box that looks much like the Thule ones of today - all stream lined.
With a larger family he built a pop-up/tent trailer in his basement workshop one winter. He had to take it all apart and rebuild it in the driveway that spring. This was a big space expansion for all of us.
Also enjoyed going to summer camp, Girl Guides, canoeing, and hiking that all involved being out in tents. Years of backpacking and climbing in the Rockies later. Then canoe expeditions. Still paddling - a 2 week wilderness ocean trip for my 65th birthday with friends most recently.
Over the last few years I discovered that I was the last one of my friends sleeping on the ground. Even though I was comfortable in my bomb-proof tent, down sleeping bag and pad, they wouldn't work for travelling down South in the winters with them. So I started looking for a small fiberglass trailer. Having owned a fiberglass sailboat, I knew the value in having a low maintenance, repairable unit.
Still travelling. Last trip was 3 months to the Arctic. Just love going North. Next trip, across Canada. With a stop in Winnipeg for the 50th Anniversary of the Boler Trailer production. See some of you there.
So lots of influences over the years, but mostly family.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 AM   #34

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
love of camping

i have ran the gamut in camping or rving i don't think we can really call using a camping rig camping really. we tried the 32f 5th wheel, the 40f converted bus frankly i hated them. they just seemed to be a lot of work to me first driving them, then setting them up and finding that park!

one year we decided to barebone it our son-in-law loaned us his 50.00 coleman tent and off we went. First stop Amarrillo Tx got the tent out no poles i had left them home. what to do we went to walmart explained to the manager what i had done he said no problem buy this tent don't use it use the poles and return it when you get home.

we have flown our cabelas alasken guide tent to ak., Hawaii and all over Europe 4 times! what experiences we have had and we have learned many shortcuts to real camping! with tenting we have met so many people, watched how the pros do things and made some lasting friends all over the world. oh don't think Europeans aren't friendly we get on subways and ask if anyone speaks English you should see the hands go up to get help and instructions to get around places.

now at 75 and 3 back surgeries a 13f scamper has came into the picture and we must accept our new lifestyle of luxury camping? we still have no shower no b/r don't want one as first we are cheap with the scamper we can boondock, we use water spareling now you know military baths and such. we are usually at a walmarts or somewhere close there are b/r facilities!

No one in our family does camping no one still does not one of kids either. we plan to continue until there is no go in us!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #35

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
It was my father, although strictly speaking we weren't "camping" as my father felt there was no security in a tent, probably due to WW2 experiences in the aleutions.

But he had liberated 4 of the eiderdown sleeping bags the Army used in the aleutions and when we bought our weekend lot to build a cabin on at the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, we slept in the uninsulated farmhouse with a roaring fire in the fireplace. Only did winter camping and after the farmhouse burnt down he put up a cabin she'll with a 12 by 12 foot screened porch. Once we had the screened porch we also started sleeping there in summer weekends.

It was wonderful to range the woods that marched down to the bay, finding all kinds of shells, fossils, intriguing plants, bonfires on the beach at night, watching stars because there was no light pollution.

When my DD was born I started camping, first without a tent, then with tiny lightweight tents.
I joined the Florida Trail Association as a life member and served as an assistant Scoutmaster in my son's Boy Scout troop.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #36

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
Old timer returning

I have been gone from here for many years but I hope that I can come back. I still have my Love Bug that I resurrected from near death. Unfortunately, the Bug is now 43 years old and the fiberglass is brittle.
I got my love of camping just like many others, as a kid we camped because it was cheap and the only way to travel with my parents and 4 kids. We live in Wisconsin and every year went on a two week vacation covering everything between the Atlantic and the Grand Canyon. My dad kept telling us that we should travel while we could because there is no telling what can change in your life and travel would no longer be possible.
When I was single, I took off every year on my motorcycle and never planned anything. People would ask where I was going and my response was always-On this date I will be home, between now and then, I don't have a clue where I would be tomorrow.
When I got married, my wife and I took our kids all over the country by tent and then a pop-up camper. My kids were n 43 states by the time they were 16 years old.
3 of my kids still camp and the other one thinks the Sheridan is roughing it.
I bought my Love Bug when the kids grew up thinking it would be good for my wife and I without the kids. My wife had a stroke at age 43 and that postponed her camping. After a couple of years, we decided that a Toyota RV would be what we needed. The RV was like a new life, it changed her thinking about what was possible. We have spent the last 7 years driving the wheels off of the RV. She loves travel again and we are planning many future trips. We have been to 48 states and 6 provinces in Canada so far. Alaska is on my bucket list.
I still have the Love Bug and use it and use it when I go kayaking or bike riding.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #37

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I am told I first went camping at 6 mo old, and I have been loving it ever since. I grew up in Eastern Washington and my father's work schedule had a 4 day weekend once a month and we went camping on many of those weekends. A lot of it car boondocking with tent or tarp. It seems in those days (50s) you could go just about anywhere in the mountains and camp wherever you wanted.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
I had 4 brothers and we were all Boy Scouts. Camped a lot. The only vacation we could afford, other than visiting grandparents, was family camping - first in a canvas tent then a used pop up we pulled behind the red Ford Fairlane station wagon. 30 years in the Army enabled me to “camp” at various exotic places worldwide while deployed. I’m not sure what we do now is the same kind of camping with all the comforts of home in our “camper”! Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote