Who in the world would want to look like... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
that is very populear down under with the aussies

Old 11-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #16

Name: Patty
Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Texas
I wonder which municipality got their trash truck ripped off??

Old 11-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #17

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
I wonder which municipality got their trash truck ripped off??
Hi everyone...........now I am not sure about this ,but it looks like the camper I saw on Discover Channel special about Rv Life Styles. IF it is the same one ......it is an old trash truck ..........and it was special built by the owner for his wife(,she is in a wheel chair because of a wreck I think ) but had always loved to camp because of all her special medical needs he designed and built this unit. They call it Draco( stands for something) anyway it will go anywhere and allows her to still do all the things she likes to do and have all her medical equipment with them. The show never said their names but did show them both and said it took him 4 years to design and build it.

Like a said not sure if that is the same one,but it does look like it.......if it is it does not have a pop up top but does have a elevator for her wheel chair and a dark room because she is a photographer ( I know bad spelling)
Old 11-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Not the same MH. Draco, name after the constalation Drac the Dragon is made using a garbage truck. You can read about and see it here
Old 11-03-2006, 12:24 AM   #19

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Draco is not a garbage truck conversion, it is an airport fire truck.

That show was on again recently. I love his description of "Woodpecker" syndrome. People come up to it and "Knock" on it's sides. They hear it all nite long in some places they park.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape
I'm having a hard time with these pictures. In the top 7 pictures you see a blue couch and the end of the container with a window above it. On the other end it appeares to be a bunk bed with a window above it. Now looking at the pictures below of the kitchen I can't figure out where in the first 7 pictures this would be?? Also the computer table with what appeares to be an air conditioner above it is where at in the above pictures ??? confuzzzed in Idaho.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
2 years ago something very similar to this was in Nova Scotia.
It was from Germany but the inside was not as fancy as this one. The only similarities were the drawers, and beautiful appliances. They told me they had the basic model (cost of over $100,000) but there were many other higher end models. The extreme hight was to aid in security and the big wheels to travel anywhere.
Embarassed to admit that they gave me a brochure of the entire line that I cannot get my hands on at the moment (and maybe never)
It was amazing to see -and try to climb up to have that private viewing.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Keep thinking about this (some things nag me) ...so I went to trusty Google
Check this out

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/25/top-10-...with-your-home/

It not only shows the vechicle we might be talking about, but other wild and wooly possibilities. Makes the VW van look amazingly old fashioned.
But give me my wonderful Trillium any time!!!!
Donna
Old 11-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
I'm having a hard time with these pictures.... ??? confuzzzed in Idaho.
It's a clever configuration, but not obvious. Since there is some interest in the layout, I will try to draw it up and post it, probably tomorrow.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
... http://www.autoblog.com/2006/07/25/top-10-...with-your-home/

It not only shows the vechicle we might be talking about, but other wild and wooly possibilities. Makes the VW van look amazingly old fashioned.
But give me my wonderful Trillium any time!!!!
Donna
Great find Donna, thanks.
The truck-based RV (the "Wothahellizat" - sound it out!) in the link is not the one in this topic, but is of the same general type - camper bodies mounted on high-mobility cab-over-engine truck chassis. They are basically unknown here, but there are lots of European (and Australian) examples. They have the trucks there (6x6 cabovers are virtually non-existent in North America), and apparently some people have a need for extreme mobility in an RV. The Wothahellizat is kind of opposite to our trailers in some ways, but I guess it would be great as a mobile wildlife observing platform in open country, such as the African plains or even for polar bear watching near Churchill, Manitoba (even a polar bear couldn't reach that platform).

At an RV dealership in central Alberta, I saw a camper body on a Pinzgauer, which is a very small European 6X6 truck built for military use. I knew of the Pinzgauerhad, but had never seen or even heard of one here in Canada, so the camper was a surprise. It was brought here by a European couple to tour North America, and left in storage.

The Top 10 list does have trailers, but no moulded fiberglass trailers! It isn't a serious survey of the best in RVs, but it would have been nice to see a classic egg in the mix.

The C-Liner was the most interesting entry in the list to me (I had heard of most of the others). It seems to me to the motorhome equivalent of our trailers - compact, efficient, and a bit unusual. It is unusual in that it is a Class A (full purpose-built body) motorhome in a size range which is filled with Class B (van conversion) and Class C (truck cab and chassis) designs. The 60,000 euro price is not surprising (you can pay that for a camper van here), but still too much for me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #25

Trailer:
Anyone who wants to see some old (British) motorhomes might like to visit this web site that contains the first chapter of a book: Motorhomes - an illustrated history

The 'upper deck' of the current Airstream Skydeck is anticipated by some 70 years by the (much smaller) front sun deck of the 'Protos' double-decker motorhome (page 12) - though I think this one could be used on the move, which would be a rather wonderful place to sightsee from.

The idea that someone built motorhomes in the 1900s (as in 1900-1909) amazes me.

Andrew
Old 11-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #26

The company that makes these is UNICAT, here's their
web site http://www.unicat.net/en/ They've got some good videos on their site and some used ones for sale.

I saw one of these parked in the sand dunes of baja, mexico a few years ago (about 3/4 of the way down).

these are the ultimate off-road self-contained campers and luxurious to boot.

They are awesome to behold if you ever get the pleasure.

Now if I win the lottery.....
Old 11-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #27

also looks like they use this site:

http://www.terracross.com/en/
Old 11-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #28

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Now we know its not really a garbage truck!!