Who knew? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Some LEDs do cause interference with reception on nearby AM radios. The only solution is to try another brand.

Charlie Y
I think the regulators are all switchers and that's what causes the RFI?? Raz

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I think the regulators are all switchers and that's what causes the RFI?? Raz
Many LED bulbs have a regulator electronic circuit which controls the current. The LED's will work off almost any voltage but the current has to be within a specific range. And yes, these circuits are usually switchers, which are very efficient. The circuitry is continuously switching between an off state and and an on state and the frequency of the switching can be anywhere from 50 kHz – 1 MHz. If the circuit isn't very well shielded, then the switching frequency (or one of its harmonics) can fall right in the middle of a radio band. In many instances the Chinese electronics manufacturers can turn out well-engineered, high-quality goods. And sometimes it's absolute crap. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
In the old days, current to LEDs was controlled by a resistor in series with the LED. But that was a waste of energy, as the resistor also consumed current. With the advent of itty bitty little switching transistors (IGBTs) and supporting circuits, the power consuming resistors are replaced with the switching transistors. As you've noticed, the switching action can cause electrical noise. In my day job we have to deal with this, as folks are changing out regular bulbs for (sometimes) noisy LEDs. In our case it is usually more annoying than a radio making strange sounds, sometimes it is a networked device not working correctly. Like a door not opening at the right time, or such. It took us a while to identify the culprits but now it is one of the first things we check for... a newly added LED circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #18
Name: Evelyn
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon Coast

I probably should've mentioned first time around that the solar calculator I have is close to 30 years old (but up until switching out the old light fixture bulbs for LEDs, it's worked like a champ). I tried it again today indoors under the LEDs, then outdoors in the sun. It worked outdoors, but not indoors.

Also, the radio I was trying to listen to is about 6 mos. old, & I had it tuned to an FM station (NPR). I didn't try AM.

Boy, there sure are a lot of well-versed folks on this forum. I've learned a lot; now if only I can remember it all for longer than a couple days. Thanks!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #19
Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Who knew?

Also you can't wire in series most LED lights. They don't pass enough current. You need to wire them in parallel. Keep this in mind if your installing led strip lighting.

On a side note if you have an iPhone. Try using the flashlight function on a calculator. The LED is powerful enough to run mine. Even moves those dancing desk ornaments.

Sent remotely
EcoHeliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:35 AM   #20
Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 13 2014
Michigan, Blue Water Area
iPhones have a built in calculator. It's two icons to the right of the flashlight on the quick access slide up screen.

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #21
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
The plot on this thread thickens... it seems that my story may just be my story. But, does anybody know about the difference between the 30 year old and new solar cells? I bet there is a lot, but what is it? And that calculator, no matter how old, might just be as comfortable to use as an old pair of slippers. No need to get rid of it!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #22
Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Diet Coke just shot out of my nose
Go down to sickbay and ask Dr. Crusher for this instead:

Don & Teresa
Tow: 2011 Honda Pilot
Trailer:2015 ESCAPE 17A
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #23
Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
"Diet Coke just shot out of my nose"

I quit drinking diet coke when that happened.

Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote