Who vets the safety issues on these little campers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
thank-you Robert.

I would imagine that the manufacturers of many of the individual components that go into a fiberglass trailer as complete "units" would have their own safety organizations that they belong to and which govern their design/manufacture (i.e. fridges, stoves, a/c, water heaters, etc.).

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #16

Name: Linda
Trailer: Chinook
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Partee View Post
With our back ground in manufacturing we understand the importance of partnering with other entities for their expertise/guidelines/suggestions and resources to protect our customers (and yes this does also provide some protection to the company as well) and provide the safest possible product to our customers.
Thanks for your information, Robert! I, for one, certainly appreciate your attention to safety in the production of your trailers!

Can you tell me what you know could or would happen with any trailer manufacturer if their product was found to be deficient by the DOT? Since apparently most molded fiberglass trailer manufacturers do not go through the certification process, is there any accountability for them to provide a safe and legal vehicle? Or is the accountability only the result of some problem on the road which brings the issue out in the open? When a manufacturer produces a trailer for sale, do they have any sort of inspection before the trailer can be licensed or receive a vin number? We have only purchased Bigfoot and Escape molded fiberglass trailers, and they have the certification, so we have not had to deal with this. I believe that most buyers presume that a newly manufactured trailer would meet all safety standards, but this is obviously not necessarily the case. I do know there is a way to report a safety concern, as a consumer, but most of us are not aware of the specifics of all of the standards. I know that the NHTSA sets the safety standards, and it is surprising to me that there would be no reassurance for the consumer that their purchase meets these standards.
While I know that many forum members are adverse to increasing government regulations, it does seem that there could be a great deal of non-compliance with important safety regulations concerning travel trailers.

Thanks again for your help with this!
Linda

Old 10-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
thank-you Robert.

I would imagine that the manufacturers of many of the individual components that go into a fiberglass trailer as complete "units" would have their own safety organizations that they belong to and which govern their design/manufacture (i.e. fridges, stoves, a/c, water heaters, etc.).

Yes they do. Mostly UL for electric and for plumbing IAPMO just to mention 2.(There are several others as well as Canadian cert's that cover the same things).