CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Who'd a thunkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
That said, it would take a lot of positive attributes, that I haven't been able to identify, to balance sinkholes, hurricanes, constant uber high humidity and the perfume of swamp gas found in a certain state

Well, you can give all the thumbs up you want, but I would have to wonder if any Californian can identify positive attributes to balance earthquakes, wildfires, probably the highest sales and income tax rates in the nation, the high cost and low reliability of the electric grid, high gasoline prices, the fewest number of emergency rooms per 1,000,000 million people in the nation, the California Legislature, and some of the highest crime rates in the nation. Yup, keep giving those thumbs up and believing California is such a great place. I think the Pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb may be applicable here. No state in the USA is perfect, and many residents will "defend" their state of residence for whatever the reason, but will complain and gripe about it to their spouses, friends, or neighbors. I've lived in California and it is the last state I would choose to make my home again. Well, maybe tied with Nevada.
And lastly, rebut all you want. I am done and will say no more on this topic, unlike some here who say they are done (sawdust toilets), but just continue to post over and over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 09-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #16

Name: Monte
Trailer: Perris Pacer
California
Registry
Hi gang, Live in California and on a trip to BC I found something very troubling with that area! Clean air, great food and coffee but the most troubling thing I found, ( wait for it ! ) Nice people!!!! Who do they think they are?

Old 09-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our travel has included all of North America including 6 loops of the USA and all the Canadian Provinces. One of our most asked questions is "Where would you prefer to live?".

Our answer is that there are 1,000s of places we could live happily scattered throughout the country, many places most people will not visit or ever here of in their lives. Most of or favorites are not in the known big cities like San Diego, LA, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, just too much of everything.

We do find CA a little insane for us, particularly the San Francisco and south.

We do recognize that people get use to where they are and gradually accept their environment, climate, social and political. Many people rarely spend time looking at their situation from afar and comparatively consider alternative possibilities, most just plod through their live accepting where they are.

Of course our favorite place is in our Scamp where ever we happen to be.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #18

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Bob, We drove down the 101 yesterday to San Mateo. Maybe it's my eyesight or age but I failed to see any positive attributes. Possibly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Actually I was and am still done on the topic of sawdust toilets.... But does that somehow mean that I can't comment on different topics that appear in a thread???
I think not.

In response, just maybe, California has fewer ER's because our residents don't depend on ER's for routine medical care due to the wide, and less expensive, availability of urgent care facilities. I went to the ER in a large hospital a few months back, had immediate attention, got about 16 stitches in my leg, got x-rays done and was gone in less than an hour. Cost? $25. That too was Golden.

Total earthquake fatalities recorded in Riverside County in the past 150 years> "1".

Last use of rolling brown outs and black outs in So Cal, 9 years ago.

The five states with the highest average combined state-local sales tax rates are Tennessee (9.45 percent), Arkansas (9.19 percent), Louisiana (8.89 percent), Washington (8.88 percent), and Oklahoma (8.72 percent).

And while our income tax rates appear high, our property taxes rates are very low, never more than 1% (and mine are currently about .33%) of value.

As there are about 18 states that can all fit inside California at the same time, we have a very wide diversity of people. places and stuff. Using any one experience in such a large state isn't any more accurate than comparing FL to IL.

It's OK to bash, but at least it should be kept in context, and one individuals experiences may not reflect the majorities.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Bob, We drove down the 101 yesterday to San Mateo. Maybe it's my eyesight or age but I failed to see any positive attributes. Possibly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Urban areas are seldom the poster child of any state, and driving on the main commute freeway certainly isn't a good way to get a positive impression of any states urban areas.

BUT: Redwood City, just a few mile south of San Mateo on the 101, has been billed as having the most temperate climate on the planet, "It's City Motto has always been "Climate Best by Government Test".

Try driving the same distance (San Francisco to Redwood City) about 8 miles to the west, on the I-280, named "The Most Beautiful Freeway (?) in the United States" the vistas and views of the San Andreas & Crystal Springs Lakes would have been much more typical of the state.

Or you could drive a few miles further west to Highway 1 and enjoy the California coast all the way through Big Sur and further south.

Again, snap-shot views, especially of built up urban areas, are not a fair way to judge an entire state.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #21

Name: Jaydeen
Trailer: Burro 13'
California
Registry
Whoa ! This started out as "What are the odds of a pair of Canuks on a weeks holiday in Harrison Hot Springs resort"

And now all of this. What happened to Happy Campers ?
Old 09-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #22

California
It's called "Sideways Topic Transference" it happens all the time when we are bored..... LOL

As a side note, it's not any more unusual to see Oregonians in Canada (and vice versa) than seeing Los Angeles campers in the Redwoods. The distances are about the same.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydeen A. View Post
Whoa ! This started out as "What are the odds of a pair of Canuks on a weeks holiday in Harrison Hot Springs resort"

And now all of this. What happened to Happy Campers ?
LOL ok I will take a stab at answering the original question.

The odds are actually pretty high!

For example on the last long week-end there were 7 trailers all in the same campground at Harrison attending the Bands on the Beach. It happens every year.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #24

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Steven, my goodness. If you're from Minnesota and wanted to see California, did you try the Redwood Highway? and if so, were you wearing your glasses?
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #25

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Steven, my goodness. If you're from Minnesota and wanted to see California, did you try the Redwood Highway? and if so, were you wearing your glasses?
NO--YES
Old 09-16-2015, 02:51 AM   #26

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
NO--YES
So you didn't see the redwoods, but you were wearing glasses?
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 AM   #27

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
There are positives in every state if you look for them. If we all loved and appreciated the exact same thing, the world could get to be pretty boring with everyone agreeing with everyone else.

Someday, a trip to upper NorthWet of US and up through BC is in order for this Mid-Western gal. Happy Camping!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #28

None
I do not find that California is "Inferior" to any other state. nor do I find it "Superior" as some have suggested. Where I live the closest 4 lane highway is 50 miles from my house. and I don't feel deprived by not having a 12 lane freeway in my neighborhood . Maybe my Midwest upbringing has blinded me from seeing how truly disadvantaged I am by not living on the coast. As I posted earlier , we enjoyed Oregon and the "understated" pride
Oregonians have for their state. Going home soon to a place that actually has 4 distinct seasons and where I get to pump my own gas.

Best Wishes
Steve D