Who'd a thunkt - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #21

Name: Jaydeen
Trailer: Burro 13'
California
Registry
Whoa ! This started out as "What are the odds of a pair of Canuks on a weeks holiday in Harrison Hot Springs resort"

And now all of this. What happened to Happy Campers ?
Jaydeen A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's called "Sideways Topic Transference" it happens all the time when we are bored..... LOL

As a side note, it's not any more unusual to see Oregonians in Canada (and vice versa) than seeing Los Angeles campers in the Redwoods. The distances are about the same.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydeen A. View Post
Whoa ! This started out as "What are the odds of a pair of Canuks on a weeks holiday in Harrison Hot Springs resort"

And now all of this. What happened to Happy Campers ?
LOL ok I will take a stab at answering the original question.

The odds are actually pretty high!

For example on the last long week-end there were 7 trailers all in the same campground at Harrison attending the Bands on the Beach. It happens every year.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #24

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Bob, We drove down the 101 yesterday to San Mateo. Maybe it's my eyesight or age but I failed to see any positive attributes. Possibly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Steven, my goodness. If you're from Minnesota and wanted to see California, did you try the Redwood Highway? and if so, were you wearing your glasses?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Steven, my goodness. If you're from Minnesota and wanted to see California, did you try the Redwood Highway? and if so, were you wearing your glasses?
NO--YES
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:51 AM   #26

CA
Quote:
NO--YES
So you didn't see the redwoods, but you were wearing glasses?
Old 09-16-2015, 05:36 AM   #27

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
There are positives in every state if you look for them. If we all loved and appreciated the exact same thing, the world could get to be pretty boring with everyone agreeing with everyone else.

Someday, a trip to upper NorthWet of US and up through BC is in order for this Mid-Western gal. Happy Camping!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #28

NW Wisconsin
I do not find that California is "Inferior" to any other state. nor do I find it "Superior" as some have suggested. Where I live the closest 4 lane highway is 50 miles from my house. and I don't feel deprived by not having a 12 lane freeway in my neighborhood . Maybe my Midwest upbringing has blinded me from seeing how truly disadvantaged I am by not living on the coast. As I posted earlier , we enjoyed Oregon and the "understated" pride
Oregonians have for their state. Going home soon to a place that actually has 4 distinct seasons and where I get to pump my own gas.

Best Wishes
Steve D
Old 09-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Going home soon to a place that actually has 4 distinct seasons and where I get to pump my own gas.

Best Wishes
Steve D
I have always enjoyed my trips to Oregon but admit if there is one negative its having to let a gas station attendant pump your gas!

Actually do not mind them doing the pumping but its the frequency that they don't put the gas cap back on tight enough resulting in a Check Engine light or Tighten Gas Cap message appearing on the dash shortly after filling up that gets a bit annoying! When towing its a bit of a pain to try and find a safe spot on the freeway to pull over to fix the issue!
Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I've been watching his thread with amusement for several days. I know it's (mostly) in fun, but I'll venture an observation.

Attacking a man's home is akin to attacking his wife. The fact that he knows her faults better than anyone is inconsequential. He loves her for her excellent qualities and will not stand any man to point out her flaws in public. And that is as it should be.

The observation applies equally to women, I know, but in this case, gender-neutral language weakens the force of the analogy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #31

I like the 4 seasons weather we have in SoCal as well; Summer Camping, Fall Camping, Cool Camping, Spring Camping and then Summer Camping again.

It's unfortunate that so many see California in terms of the built up urban areas and overlook the 90% of the state that isn't in the Los Angles and San Francisco metro areas.

And, unless there is a pressing need to get somewhere, I too will go out of my way to avoid freeways. If you drive Highway 395 for some 645 miles, from Hesperia, CA to the border near Goose Lake, OR, while there are a few sections of (relatively deserted) 4 lane highway, most of it is the same two lanes that were first laid out in 1926, There are no freeway sections except for the miles that it dips into Nevada along the way. And it takes you to the entrance for Mt Whitney, and the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite High Country. I solo towed this last May and it was great.

As I am now sitting in WA I can, as always, confirm that the northwest is a great place to visit as well. And if I should get lonely for those CA freeways and need a fix, all I have to do is spend a day in Seattle.... And if I miss big construction projects I can always go look and see if "Bertha" has been fixed yet....LOL

BTW: Todays news, Forks, WA, with about 118" of rain a year, just went onto severe water restrictions with fines for washing your car or watering your lawn, go figure.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Where is pumping gas on the scale of important events in one's life? Is it even worth a thought?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I've been watching his thread with amusement for several days. I know it's (mostly) in fun, but I'll venture an observation.

Attacking a man's home is akin to attacking his wife. The fact that he knows her faults better than anyone is inconsequential. He loves her for her excellent qualities and will not stand any man to point out her flaws in public. And that is as it should be.

The observation applies equally to women, I know, but in this case, gender-neutral language weakens the force of the analogy.

I agree, now take my wife... Please.... take my wife!....
(Henny Youngman?)

Old 09-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:17 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

BTW: Todays news, Forks, WA, with about 140" of rain a year, just went onto severe water restrictions with fines for washing your car or watering your lawn, go figure.

Having a green lawn is not really something I would base the livability of where I live on!

Having a green lawn in these parts does nothing to elevate your personal status - in fact the opposite is true. Water usage shaming has become a popular pass time for many. Yup even for the owners of the $10 million dollar plus homes that we have plenty of in this area.

Here in a better part of southern BC we have been facing severe water restrictions & fines for washing cars and watering lawns and gardens for months. For some of this summer we could not even use a hand water jug to water a tree in some parts of the province. Although we finally did get some rain in recent weeks and water reservoirs are back to normal levels we are still on total lawn watering restrictions to protect the water levels we have, should the dry weather trend continue into the fall and winter once again.

We actually have had water restrictions of one kind or another here in Vancouver for years EVERY summer, starting in early May and lasting until the end of September - regardless of how much rain we have had or not had. Anyone who has ever spent a winter in Vancouver knows all to well - that it rains here. A lot! How much the water use is restricted each summer has to do with how dry the winter weather was or how cold it failed to get and how low the snow pack is & how hot & dry the summer is. Way better to give up on having a green lawn to ensure we have plenty of drinking water should the dry hot weather last longer than expected.

During times of total ban on watering lawns the lawns do go brown for months but historically all it takes nothing more than a couple of days of rain & they are a lush green once again. Nothing lost.

Not being able to water the lawn has little to nothing IMO to do with the liveability & enjoyment of any given area. In fact some might suggest that not having to mow the lawn for a few months due to its browning up, makes an area all that much more attractive to live in
Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #36

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 17A
Washington
The branches grow clear to the ground. Makes you wonder how anyone ever found their way to the west coast over the Oregon trail.[/QUOTE]

The trees were smaller back then.
John M R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #37

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Good one, John, wish I had thought of that.

A review of the path of the Oregon Trail shows that due to the thick, impenetrable forests, it went all the way up to the top of Oregon to The Dalles, then they had to raft down the Columbia River to Portland. Later, there was also a much longer overland route circling down around from The Dalles to Sandy and then back up to the other side of the forest. They should have called it the Out Of your Way Trail instead of the Oregon Trail.

I find it hard to believe that the Indians had to travel all that way also to get to the western side of the thick forest. They must have known shortcuts through the forest further south based on earlier animal trails. They probably had a policy of “Chief not show shortcut to palefaces.” In the iconic paintings of the Indians up on cliffs watching the wagon train pass through, they should be showing them laughing their asses off having sent the pioneers hundreds of miles out of their way to get around the forests and across the mountains.

And then there was the ongoing dispute with the British and the Hudsons Bay Company regarding ownership of the Oregon territory. They insisted that it was their land but gave up claim to it when they found out all the beaver had been trapped and they figured there would be nothing but trouble with the Spotted Owl. I’m not sure who made out better on that deal. The forests are so thick that the squirrels forget which one is their home and the deer can’t even get up to a good jog before they hit a tree.

It’s worth visiting just for its historical value.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #38

CA
Quote:
I do not find that California is "Inferior" to any other state. nor do I find it "Superior" as some have suggested. Where I live the closest 4 lane highway is 50 miles from my house. and I don't feel deprived by not having a 12 lane freeway in my neighborhood . . .

Best Wishes
Steve D
Ah, it is as I expected. Too many people think that California is represented by what they see on TV and in films... freeways and concrete. L.A. and San Francisco represent about 5% of the state (I bet Bob will come up with the exact statistic AND references), although very dense in population. (Which is why the populations of these two metro areas dominate in elections, even though much of the rural population is *conservative*.)

Few people even realize that the REST of the state is agriculture-intensive, or forest, or mountains, or desert.

Where I live two active volcanos are nearby and majestic to view: Mt. Shasta

and Mt. Lassen:

I live in the valley and the Sacramento River runs through it.

Thirty minutes in either direction and we enter the mountains. We have two beautiful lakes (although Lake Shasta has nearly given nearly its all to the water users south of us), and Whiskeytown is as pure and full and pristine as any lake anywhere.

Drive west along the Trinity river

and find the north coast.

Travel deep into the Redwoods and appreciate the astonishing grandeur.

And we have Yosemite.

And I'm only getting started, but then, I'm probably biased.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #39

NW Wisconsin
I solved my issue. I went to Nevada.
I am amazed with the telepathic powers of Californians. They are able to make turns and change lanes at 70 MPH. without signaling yet everyone evidently knows what they are about to do (except me).
We did see Mt Lassen ,Mt Shasta , the Sacramento River ,San Francisco , The Golden Gate and Bay bridge and many lovely sights in Northern California.
The traffic is a little disconcerting. I saw more vehicles in one day on the 101 then I see in a whole year in Wisconsin , discounting farm tractors and The Amish on horses.
The only real problem we had besides the traffic was that they don't sell
Leine's beer in California which greatly disappointed. my wife .
Old 09-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #40

CA
Quote:
I solved my issue. I went to Nevada.
Oh.
Now THERE'S a gorgeous state.

Quote:
The only real problem we had besides the traffic was that they don't sell
Leine's beer in California which greatly disappointed. my wife .
That's because we have Sierra Nevada beer, brewed near my Alma Mater of CSU Chico, which fulfills the needs of any informed beer aficionado.