Who'd a thunkt - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Wink Who'd a thunkt

What are the odds of a pair of Canuks on a weeks holiday in Harrison Hot Springs resort ( in Harrison B.C. ) running into a Glass Egger from coastal Oregon with her trailer in tow!!! Boy, we sure have a trailer full of stuff to catch up on in the morning over Breakie.....! .
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I understand that Oregonians prefer travel to B.C rather than going south to California out of fear that, after experiencing the Golden State, that they won't want to go back to Oregon.....LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
It's probably more like they prefer BC because they know if they experience the Granola State their minds will turn to mush. Or maybe they prefer fresh air to smog. Or the availability of water to drought. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
In Oregon the entire Pacific Coast is publicly owned so the beach campgrounds are fabulous and you can stroll for miles. The state campgrounds also have electric, water, dump stations, trees for shade and firewood for sale - all at around half the price of California parks.

Left California for Oregon in 1978 and am quite happy in the Pacific North Wet.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
This is our first trip west of the Mississippi and Oregon is the true gem of the West Coast.
Oregon's parks are beautiful ,well maintained ,reasonably priced and the park staff is very friendly and helpful. IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:37 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
This is our first trip west of the Mississippi and Oregon is the true gem of the West Coast.
Oregon's parks are beautiful ,well maintained ,reasonably priced and the park staff is very friendly and helpful. IMHO
Looks like you were able to find a way around the smoke. Good for you. Enjoy, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It's probably more like they prefer BC because they know if they experience the Granola State their minds will turn to mush. Or maybe they prefer fresh air to smog. Or the availability of water to drought. LOL

Well, Let's look at that:

Portlandia has had more bad air days this year than Los Angeles.
Vancouver, BC has more severe water restrictions than Los Angeles.
Granola is a healthy food choice.
Oregonians, with a nearly 50% higher rate than California, must think that smoking is a better health choice.
Percent of Adults Who Smoke | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Now, I love visiting the northwest, I spend 3+ months a year up here. Every state has positive life quality attributes and negative life quality attributes. That said, it would take a lot of positive attributes, that I haven't been able to identify, to balance sinkholes, hurricanes, constant uber high humidity and the perfume of swamp gas found in a certain state, and I once lived there for over a year.

And yes, CA State Parks are expensive, but CA has a balanced state budget, plus a surplus for those bad times.

AND.... CA has lots of IN n' OUT's. Can't beat a Flying Dutchman, Animal Style, and a large Neopolitan Shake for a weekly food binge treat

Old 09-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Oregon, my story

Oh Yes, Oregon. The first time I crossed the state line into it a few years ago, I stopped for some gas out in the middle of no where and started pumping the gas. Very quickly some crazed guy came running out all worked up about something. I though I maybe turned into the Bates Motel by accident! Turns out you can’t pump your own gas anywhere in the state.

Then on to Brooks where on a Sunday morning I was driving north on I-5 and saw a HP car on the right with lights still flashing so moved to left land and then back into the right lane. Took no time at all and he was on my ass. Said he though I was weaving, but told him I changed lanes as per the law in most states. He said he didn’t see me turn out but saw me turn in. Asked what I was doing there all the way from CO. It’s only 1,250 miles, those people must not get out much. Just ran my license and on my way.

Later when relating the story from some county workers from the area, they asked if it was a real young guy who looked like he just graduated from the academy two months ago. I said, hell, he looked like he just reached puberty two months ago! They knew the trooper and planned to tell him that the next time they had coffee.

One really interesting thing I experienced in Oregon is how dense the fir trees are in the national forest when driving from Bend over to I-5. They come close to the road and if you walk in more than 25 feet, you will be totally lost. The branches grow clear to the ground. Makes you wonder how anyone ever found their way to the west coast over the Oregon trail.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post

Have you ever been to BC? Trust me the Golden State is far to up city for the Gortex wearing, granola eating tree huggers of BC.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There's no doubt that Oregon is on the Left coast, but of the Left states it's the one I like best. It's coast is wonderful, reasonable and open.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Well, Let's look at that:
Vancouver, BC has more severe water restrictions than Los Angeles.
Granola is a healthy food choice.
Yup perhaps LA should put the same in place and it might help to solve some of the lack of water issues.

The Governor of Calf. has visited Vancouver many times in the past to see how we do things here in regards to living Greenier - mostly looking at our transit and recycling programs etc.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #12

No question about it, all of the Northwest is a great place.

According to WA state locals, the easiest way to recognize an OSU graduate is that the first words out of their mouth is usually either "Fill it Up Sir" or "Can supersize that for you sir?"

LOLOLOL..............................

Old 09-14-2015, 01:28 PM   #13

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Have you ever been to BC? Trust me the Golden State is far to up city for the Gortex wearing, granola eating tree huggers of BC.

Yea, Carol. I've been to BC. I also lived in the so-called Golden State for a period of time. My post was really intended to rile the individual I quoted. Wanted to see if I could get a rise out of him which I easily did! All just in fun.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #14

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
...it would take a lot of positive attributes, that I haven't been able to identify, to balance sinkholes, hurricanes, constant uber high humidity and the perfume of swamp gas found in a certain state....

LOL!
Old 09-15-2015, 05:26 AM   #15

Florida
Registry
Who'd a thunkt

Quote:
That said, it would take a lot of positive attributes, that I haven't been able to identify, to balance sinkholes, hurricanes, constant uber high humidity and the perfume of swamp gas found in a certain state

Well, you can give all the thumbs up you want, but I would have to wonder if any Californian can identify positive attributes to balance earthquakes, wildfires, probably the highest sales and income tax rates in the nation, the high cost and low reliability of the electric grid, high gasoline prices, the fewest number of emergency rooms per 1,000,000 million people in the nation, the California Legislature, and some of the highest crime rates in the nation. Yup, keep giving those thumbs up and believing California is such a great place. I think the Pink Floyd song Comfortably Numb may be applicable here. No state in the USA is perfect, and many residents will "defend" their state of residence for whatever the reason, but will complain and gripe about it to their spouses, friends, or neighbors. I've lived in California and it is the last state I would choose to make my home again. Well, maybe tied with Nevada.
And lastly, rebut all you want. I am done and will say no more on this topic, unlike some here who say they are done (sawdust toilets), but just continue to post over and over again.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 AM   #16

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Hi gang, Live in California and on a trip to BC I found something very troubling with that area! Clean air, great food and coffee but the most troubling thing I found, ( wait for it ! ) Nice people!!!! Who do they think they are?
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our travel has included all of North America including 6 loops of the USA and all the Canadian Provinces. One of our most asked questions is "Where would you prefer to live?".

Our answer is that there are 1,000s of places we could live happily scattered throughout the country, many places most people will not visit or ever here of in their lives. Most of or favorites are not in the known big cities like San Diego, LA, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver, just too much of everything.

We do find CA a little insane for us, particularly the San Francisco and south.

We do recognize that people get use to where they are and gradually accept their environment, climate, social and political. Many people rarely spend time looking at their situation from afar and comparatively consider alternative possibilities, most just plod through their live accepting where they are.

Of course our favorite place is in our Scamp where ever we happen to be.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:51 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Bob, We drove down the 101 yesterday to San Mateo. Maybe it's my eyesight or age but I failed to see any positive attributes. Possibly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #19

Actually I was and am still done on the topic of sawdust toilets.... But does that somehow mean that I can't comment on different topics that appear in a thread???
I think not.

In response, just maybe, California has fewer ER's because our residents don't depend on ER's for routine medical care due to the wide, and less expensive, availability of urgent care facilities. I went to the ER in a large hospital a few months back, had immediate attention, got about 16 stitches in my leg, got x-rays done and was gone in less than an hour. Cost? $25. That too was Golden.

Total earthquake fatalities recorded in Riverside County in the past 150 years> "1".

Last use of rolling brown outs and black outs in So Cal, 9 years ago.

The five states with the highest average combined state-local sales tax rates are Tennessee (9.45 percent), Arkansas (9.19 percent), Louisiana (8.89 percent), Washington (8.88 percent), and Oklahoma (8.72 percent).

And while our income tax rates appear high, our property taxes rates are very low, never more than 1% (and mine are currently about .33%) of value.

As there are about 18 states that can all fit inside California at the same time, we have a very wide diversity of people. places and stuff. Using any one experience in such a large state isn't any more accurate than comparing FL to IL.

It's OK to bash, but at least it should be kept in context, and one individuals experiences may not reflect the majorities.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Bob, We drove down the 101 yesterday to San Mateo. Maybe it's my eyesight or age but I failed to see any positive attributes. Possibly beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Urban areas are seldom the poster child of any state, and driving on the main commute freeway certainly isn't a good way to get a positive impression of any states urban areas.

BUT: Redwood City, just a few mile south of San Mateo on the 101, has been billed as having the most temperate climate on the planet, "It's City Motto has always been "Climate Best by Government Test".

Try driving the same distance (San Francisco to Redwood City) about 8 miles to the west, on the I-280, named "The Most Beautiful Freeway (?) in the United States" the vistas and views of the San Andreas & Crystal Springs Lakes would have been much more typical of the state.

Or you could drive a few miles further west to Highway 1 and enjoy the California coast all the way through Big Sur and further south.

Again, snap-shot views, especially of built up urban areas, are not a fair way to judge an entire state.