Who's been orphaned by a trailer manufacturer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
I think that over the past years that the o.p. must have bought a DeSoto, then a Checker, then an Oldsmobile, then a Plymouth, then a Pontiac and is now looking for parts for their Saturn, and may have has a retirement plan based on GM & Kodak stock.... LOL

"Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me 7 times, shame on me."

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
Thanks for all the helpful replies and comments. As it happens, the two trailers I'm most interested in just happen to be made by the newest companies, so, I thought I'd see if anyone had been there/done that and had any observations on the experience.

The tip about NADA/Blue Book values and insuring is invaluable. I didn't know that, but with insurance companies, I guess I'm not surprised.

I really didn't figure being orphaned to be a "problem", and thank you all for assuring me it most likely won't be. I just wanted to go into this with my eyes wide open.

LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
I was just gonna say, but someone beat me to it, that being orphaned probably upped the value of used Bigfeet, Maybe even upped Burros and UHauls. My trailer has been orphaned so long that it's origins are lost and to me the only downside to that is not being able to do things like buy stock cushions (like Scamp owners can) or decals and- worst of all- not being able to buy a brand new one. (Though I'd really like an Escape or Bigfoot.)

I think if the trailer were under warranty and issues arose, and the maker was out of business, that's where you'd most likely be unhappy. I can see a scenario where quality got lower and lower and then the maker closed up shop, so the last buyers were stuck with lemons.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote