Why an egg?... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Hi again Jane,
I retired after 35 years in the trucking industry. Safety is a primary issue. The Jetta has ample power to pull my egg. The Trillium is incredibly well balanced with just the right amount of tongue weight. With the brakes on the egg the stopping ability is fantastic. I have never had any sway while towing it. Last November I towed my motorcycle to Florida and back with the Jetta and towing the Trillium this year was, by far, an easier trip.
Cheers,
Barrie
Hey Barrie,

I didn't mean to suggest that the Jetta is unsafe with your Trillium. I was trying my hand at some humor. I interpreted the previous quotes regarding your Jetta as a lighthearted bit of envy -- that you could have such a nice SUV pulling your rig. Lucky guy!

I seem to be putting my foot in my mouth in this thread. Sorry about that.

Getting ready to have some wine while waiting for dinner.
So ... Cheers back at you!

JMP

Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Hi Jane - sorry to hear you did not get to use your tailer when you most wanted to. I see yours is the same age as mine. As such they do start to need a few things redone so they can last another 20 years without problems. Mine needed the roof vents and a window resealed last year. Suspect this spring I am going to redo a few other things before it actually leaks, Through this form I was able to learn that fixing it myself was not really hard at all (including pulling out and putting a window back in) or at least no where near as bad as I thought it might be. Just ask here for help and I am sure you can avoid some of the expensive help.
Thanks for the thoughts. I plan to reseal my windows next month. I'd love to learn how to do that stuff myself ... save money for my travels.

It is good to know that it isn't all that hard!

Thanks again.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #17

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
While not nearly as handy as many of the ladies on this forum, I also have replaced the ceiling vent myself, put up a new headliner, and just installed my own awning rail. The hardest part was deciding to (ooooo!) drill holes in my shell!! I'm not so much into creature comforts (i.e. electronics and plumbing) as I am getting away from the ratrace. I figure that the more stuff I have on the trailer, the more things I have to fix/maintain. So I chose simple (13 footer with stove/sink/portapotty). But I also cannot easily shower unless I am in a campground with facilities, so it's a tradeoff and that's fine with me. Its nice that there is so much to choose from in these little FG packages, eh?? and so much FUN!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 AM   #18

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Hey Barrie,

I didn't mean to suggest that the Jetta is unsafe with your Trillium. I was trying my hand at some humor. I interpreted the previous quotes regarding your Jetta as a lighthearted bit of envy -- that you could have such a nice SUV pulling your rig. Lucky guy!

I seem to be putting my foot in my mouth in this thread. Sorry about that.

Getting ready to have some wine while waiting for dinner.
So ... Cheers back at you!

JMP
No offense taken at all Jane. A few more creature comforts would be nice for sure. I'm not as concerned with the esthetics as some and also have a few issues to attend to. I re-caulked the windows before my trip south and thought I had resolved a leak problem with my front window. Apparently, with no rock shield, the force of the wind on the slat windows must allow the rain to seep in and on my first day south through a rainy Maine I found my front bench soaked. After drying the foam pad in Georgia I just moved it to the back of the trailer when I hit the road and put a towel on the front bench in case it rains while driving. I don't have any leaks when just parked. I'll figure it out at some point. I'm sure we all have issues with the oldies.
Again, good luck with yours. Enjoy.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #19

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Well, here's one reason why not not-an-egg:

sleeping beauty update!! What's this??? - iRV2 Forums

Scroll down past the big banner if you're not a member.

Tags
eggcamper