Why are Bigfoot Trailers Getting So Popular? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #85

Name: Robert
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Your question- Bob, the Bigfoot is only 1" wider and 2" taller than the Casita? I really question the width number. How wide is a Casita? I think my Bigfoot is 8' wide, measured from the outside. I guess even if it's only 1" wider, that doesn't really give the sense of how much more space there really is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you check my original post, you'll see that I said 1' (foot) wider and 2" taller so, yes, my Bigfoot is 8' wide just like yours.

bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #86

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Looking to buy first trailer, down to Bigfoot and Casita. A high priority is having easily replaceable parts long term and like that Casita has a parts site. Easy to replace parts for Bigfoot as well? Do they carry parts for older models long term?
That would be the last thing I would worry about. All the molded FG trailer manufacturers buy parts from the same short list of suppliers. The fiberglass "stuff" (which is unique to each manufacturer) doesn't tend to wear out. Wood cabinet doors are easy enough to make. I just made three replacement doors for my 1977 Trillium. 1/2 inch birch plywood, bought scrap pieces for $1 each, so the three doors cost me $3....

Bigfoot tends to have a lot more wood inside the trailer, any local cabinet maker can take care of that. Almost all of the "parts" on the Casita's site are not made by Casita, for example, I highly doubt they make rivets or rivet caps. If its the availability of parts from the manufacturer, Scamp wins hands down IMHO.

My choice would start with: "Do I need four season?" If so, that cancels most brands out, including Casita. If not, then I would look at other brands including Casita as the prices of the four season trailers can be double or even triple their three season competitors.

The second thing I would look at is floorplan. That was the biggest mistake we made on our first FG trailer. The floorplan did not suit us at all. We were in such a rush to find anything, I just pounced instead of understanding the differences. Lesson learned.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #87

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Looking to buy first trailer, down to Bigfoot and Casita. A high priority is having easily replaceable parts long term and like that Casita has a parts site. Easy to replace parts for Bigfoot as well? Do they carry parts for older models long term?
We owned a Uhaul VT before getting the Bigfoot Silver Cloud. The Uhaul had proprietary parts, and as the only family that experienced a Uhaul hub blowout, we were very lucky to fall onto an old Uhaul dealer who happened to have 2 hubs in his stock in the middle of nowhere Wyoming and Montana. We never did find tail light covers during the time we owned the VT and had to jerry rig proprietary door hinges. We were able to find new rims, but they were not matching to the camper. The challenge was both challenging and frustrating.

Next trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud and they only made 12. After getting it, we needed to replace the fridge, the tires, the AC, the door, and some light covers. All were standard RV parts and easily found. Yes, some parts will be tough to replace, i.e. bedroom blinds and repair of sagging couch, but that is doable, not like the years of looking into taillight covers for the Uhaul.

CindyL
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #88

Name: Bill
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
If you read the write up on truck camper mag. It should explain why you are seeing more bigfoot units.
We have a 25rq and its been great. The best of the 6 or so rv's that we have had over the years. Take care.

sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot