Why are Bigfoot Trailers Getting So Popular? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2018, 08:24 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We’ve owned three FG trailers , a 1999 Scamp , a 2013 Casita SD and a 2018 SOB and we are looking at a Bigfoot

The reasons
1) More Room
2) Walk around bed
3) Better insulated for cold weather
4) Layout
5) Quality
6) Standard features
7) Construction methods employed

At 70 years old I no longer wish to spend my time continually fixing stuff due to poor construction or shoddy parts . Money is not the issue for us as long as Bigfoot gives us what we paid for , that’s acceptable
Steve is that SOB trailer made in Chilliwack.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
We just upgraded our 2017 Honda Ridgeline that we pull our Casita with to a new 2019 Ram 1500, 4x4, Crew Cab. We wanted to be in position if the right trailer comes along to be able to handle an Oliver, Bigfoot, or Escape. Were in no hurry to get rid of the Casita, but we will keep our eyes open for what's out there. We could also go new, but for the time being were just coasting along and see what happens.

trainman
We currently own 2 FG trailers ,a 2013 Casita SD & a 2018 SOB
If we sold both FG trailers it would not be that big of leap to a Bigfoot .
Our 17 ft Casita is too small for our needs and our 2018 has other issues.
We’re at the age where we just want to travel and enjoy life .
Spending hours making constant trailer repairs has lost it’s appeal .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #23

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Lower prices for gas/diesel may have made the necessary 3/4 ton trucks more attractive to potential Bigfoot/Oliver owners.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #24

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
One of the most attractive advantages that Bigfoot has is the width, open the door step inside on paper it does not seem like much till you walk in.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
I bought a 2007 17' Casita recently but never even used it because I discovered the Bigfoot 17G. I bought a 1994 which is 1' wider and 2" taller than the Casita, has windows on all four walls so it has more and longer lines of sight, quite a bit more storage and counter space, and weighs just 100 # more dry. I'd rather have a 2007 or newer Bigfoot 17 but the 1994 seems to have held up pretty well overall.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #26

Name: Denton
Trailer: shopping
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
Bigfoot is heavier than our Oliver, about a thousand pounds. Tongue weight on our Ollie was 680#. On our Bigfoot is around 1,200#. We towed our Ollie with a 2015 Chevy 2500 Duramax. Tow the Bigfoot with a 2018 Chevy Duramax. Don’t really notice any difference, both tow like on rails.
Hi there. I'm curious about the hitch weights you quote. We're still a year or two out from a purchase but we've been paying a lot of attention to the Airstream 23D/CB, the Oliver, and the Bigfoot 25. We're leaning away from the AS cuz of quality control and lack of insulation. We love a lot of things about the Oliver but lack of a queen bed is a problem. We love a lot of things about the Bigfoot, especially the room, but wish it looked like the AS or Ollie on the inside.

But back to the hitch weights... factory spec on the Ollie unloaded is 460 lbs, and 610 on the BF (both less than the AS btw).

So I assume your 1200 lbs is well loaded. We have a 2018 F150 with all the tow goodies and a max payload of 1650 lbs. 1200 lbs hitch weight would be pushing the limit, I think. My wife keeps insisting on coming and consuming valuable payload :-)
denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A Bigfoot 17 may not be heavier than a Casita 17 (newer 2500-series units excepted), but it will tow harder due to aerodynamic drag from the added width, height, and boxy shape. An 8' wide trailer also requires towing mirrors and greater care negotiating turns and back roads.

All that has to be weighed (pun intended) against the advantages of the extra space.

The same could be said of Oliver vs. Bigfoot. The Oliver has the towability advantage, while Bigfoot has the liveability advantage. Depends to some extent on how you plan to use the trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #28

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Ah these are all good points that I think add up to what I'm seeing. Along with the fact that a few more posts doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.

Bob, the Bigfoot is only 1" wider and 2" taller than the Casita? I really question the width number. How wide is a Casita? I think my Bigfoot is 8' wide, measured from the outside. I guess even if it's only 1" wider, that doesn't really give the sense of how much more space there really is. A Casita is a certain width at the center, then tapers above and below. Having the boxy shape of the Bigfoot means that whatever extra width it has, it has that width from floor to ceiling. So the width difference would be more like 1" at the mid-point, growing to probably over 4" at the ceiling and floor. The space difference, once you're inside, between a Bigfoot and an egg shaped trailer, is really night and day.

Looking at the trailer weights thread, it's true that especially the older Bigfoot trailers aren't heavier than Casita. They're often lighter, with quite a bit less tongue weight. But like Jon points out, they aren't very aerodynamic, and that makes a very noticeable difference, especially in a headwind.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:10 PM   #29

Arizona
Registry
A Casita is 80" wide and a Bigfoot is 8', so the difference is 16". That's significant.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #30

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
Weights from manufacturers are part of their certification, but neither our Oliver nor our Bigfoot reflected those numbers (hence “Trailer weights in the real world”). With a WDH, our Bigfoot tongue weight is around 800#. I would encourage every new owner to visit a CAT scale and find out your actual TV, tongue and axle weights. You might be surprised.
Towed by 2018 Chevy High Country Duramax
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #31

Montana
Just re-read Bob's post and it says 1' wider. I saw 1" when I first read it. That's a lot closer to accurate.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #32

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Or why do they seem to be, based on recent posts? I've been around this site since 2016, which isn't very long, but my experience was that Bigfoot owners and posts about the trailers were pretty rare. In the last few months there seems to be a large uptick in people asking about buying them, especially the big ones (25'). What's up with that?

Are they doing more marketing and so people who normally buy stick built are realizing there's a fiberglass option in the size they want? Or are fiberglass trailers getting more popular in general and people who don't want an "egg" but want fiberglass are looking at them?

Or what? It seems like every week there's a new post about wanting to buy a Bigfoot.

If any of you folks who are asking those questions read this, let us know! What got you interested?

They've just always seemed to be in background. There, but not on the tip of anyone's tongue when fiberglass trailers are brought up. More like "oh yeah, and there's also Bigfoot". Maybe I just joined during a lull in popularity?
Hi All,

Enjoying this thread. I just read it to Laura (DW). I have been telling her for the last couple of weeks that I have been reading more and more about Bigfoots over the last several weeks, then ZachO starts this thread. I guess it is anecdotal, but it does “seem like” that I have been reading a ton about Bigfoots lately.

I am a fan of molded fiberglass, including all “maintstream” brands as well as the smaller “boutique” brands AND vintage egg campers. Heck, after three years of camping with our ‘05 Casita 17’ FD and averaging nearly 50 nights a year, I love the RV/Camping lifestyle.

In my humble opinion, I could see where the Bigfoot would appeal to an audience beyond the egg camper audience. Of all current molded fiberglass egg campers, the Bigfoot “looks” like most “SOBs” yet its superior four season design and quality construction eclipses SOBs. For many, 25’ is a “small” to “medium” sized trailer. Most SOBs are 7.5’ to 8’ in width, so similar to the Bigfoot. Bigfoot also has a variety of flooplans in a variety of lengths.

I can see Bigfoot appealing to a broader audience than most other egg camper brands for the above reasons. Of course, many folks not familiar with Bigfoot quality will be put off by the price (new and used). Of course, many folks not familiar with egg campers are put off by the price.

I think Laura and I could full-time or do extended camping in our Casita. We love the towability of the Casita. We have toured the Oliver plant, attended two of their wonderful rallies, and only live 2.5 hours from the plant. We also are fans of the Escape 21’. IF we decide to go bigger at retirement in 4.5 years, it will be an Escape 21, Oliver 23.5, or perhaps a Bigfoot 21’. However, I am a fan of the Bigfoot 25’ Twin Bed floorplan or the rear walkaround queen. I just don’t know that we want to tow that much trailer. But, the dry baths in the 21 and 25 along with the bed options of the 25’ makes the Bigfoot a very attractive trailer.

As mentioned by another forum member, we also love “the look” of the Oliver and of Airstreams. We probably would not buy an Airstream, particuarly a new one. We really wish that Bigfoot would have a more contemporary look, particularly with their interior decor.

In any case, love reading this thread!

Happy camping to all in ‘19!!!

Dean
Old 12-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #33

Montana
I go both ways. Wait, I mean...never mind.

There are times I consider downsizing to a 13' Scamp, and other times I think if I just had a Bigfoot 19 or 5th wheel, I'd have all the space I ever need. Too bad they don't make the 19 anymore. Basically the exact trailer as mine, with 2 extra feet, allowing a full size fridge with no loss of counter space. Just enough extra space. And a Bigfoot 5th wheel? Basically my exact trailer but with a separate "floor". A separate bedroom. Same size footprint.

But yeah, both would require a larger truck than I want to buy, and I really use the space under my truck topper so a 5th wheel won't work for me. For now my Bigfoot 17 is just the right compromise.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:31 PM   #34

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by denton View Post
...But back to the hitch weights... factory spec on the Ollie unloaded is 460 lbs, and 610 on the BF (both less than the AS btw).

So I assume your 1200 lbs is well loaded. We have a 2018 F150 with all the tow goodies and a max payload of 1650 lbs. 1200 lbs hitch weight would be pushing the limit, I think. My wife keeps insisting on coming and consuming valuable payload :-)

That figure from the factory of 460 unloaded pounds of hitch weight on the Oliver is useless (unless you're planning to travel unloaded.) Ours is just shy of 700. All Oliver's I've ever seen (Elite II's) were between 600 and 675 pounds. Traveling weights on most Oliver's are between 5000 and 6000 pounds. Ours is 7200 pounds.

Quote:
...We love a lot of things about the Oliver but lack of a queen bed is a problem...

The bed in the standard floor plan of the Oliver is 79" wide x 75" long (or vice versa depending on how you'd rather sleep.)

A queen bed is 60" wide and 80" inches long. I'm missing something here.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 AM   #35

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
We have a 2018 F150 with all the tow goodies and a max payload of 1650 lbs.
A fine tow vehicle for most FGRVs, but given the real world tongue weights that have been reported, not a good choice for the three you've mentioned.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #36

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...We love a lot of things about the Oliver but lack of a queen bed is a problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
The bed in the standard floor plan of the Oliver is 79" wide x 75" long (or vice versa depending on how you'd rather sleep). A queen bed is 60" wide and 80" inches long. I'm missing something here.
I think he probably meant the Bigfoot has a walk-around queen. That, the dry bath, and the larger dinette seem to be the commonly-mentioned liveability advantages of the Bigfoot. Maybe storage too, though I don't hear that mentioned as often.

I do get it. I spent last week with family sharing a double bed against a wall. I got the wall side, and the antics I went through to exit the bed without disturbing my wife challenged my declining agility.

I'm not trying to disparage the Oliver, just to be objective about the reasons people choose one over the other.

We solved the problem in our small Scamp a different way, but that's another story.

Have to agree with Dean's observation as well. The Bigfoot is much more likely to appeal to a crossover buyer coming from a conventional trailer to molded.

And another... The larger Bigfoot models have been around long enough that it is possible to find one used for significantly less than new. Of course, as more people become aware of them, used prices are likely to trend upward.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #37

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
That figure from the factory of 460 unloaded pounds of hitch weight on the Oliver is useless (unless you're planning to travel unloaded.) Ours is just shy of 700. All Oliver's I've ever seen (Elite II's) were between 600 and 675 pounds. Traveling weights on most Oliver's are between 5000 and 6000 pounds. Ours is 7200 pounds.

The bed in the standard floor plan of the Oliver is 79" wide x 75" long (or vice versa depending on how you'd rather sleep.)

A queen bed is 60" wide and 80" inches long. I'm missing something here.

Could it be the fact that the King bed is also the dinette? The permanent bed option is the twins beds but they are 75"X30" so they should really be called cots.

According to Oliver the GVWR of the Legacy II is 7000 Lbs so it looks like you might be slightly overloaded at 7200 Lbs if that measurement is correct. Adding heavier duty suspension does not change the GVWR only Oliver can do that. If they did not do so and you’re in an accident and your RV is overweight, you can be found liable. So you could be held responsible for higher awards in a lawsuit for damages to other people, vehicles or property even if they were at fault. If you were at fault your insurance company could refuse to cover you.

Oliver's are nice trailers, their build quality is better than the majority of other trailer out there but are not the only option. If you want a lighter fiberglass trailer and are not interested in a 4 season unit Escape, Scamp and Casita and others are a good choice.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #38

Montana
Good to know that if I ever do decide to sell, and keep my trailer well maintained, I'll be able to get enough money out of it that I'll have a lot of options on what I can buy to replace it. That goes for all fiberglass trailers but the Bigfoot probably has a larger market.

I agree with Shelby, watch that payload limit! My trucks limit is around 1,200, I think. I did the math one day on a thread on this forum (really loose approximate math), and I figure I'm probably sometimes as much as 100lbs over my limit. That's with a trailer which I'm assuming has, at most, a 350lb tongue weight.

Myself and all my gear, fiberglass topper etc. It's amazing how fast it adds up.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #39

Arizona
Registry
A WDH distributes some of the tongue weight to the trailer axle(s). I assume you would be using one with an Oliver Elite II/F-150 combination. That may or may not make it right, but it's no longer a simple addition problem.

Only way to be sure is to hitch up and take it to the scales for an axle-by-axle weighing. If you're within all GAWR's, GVWR's, GCWR (and tires)- fully loaded, hitched, and tensioned, wife on board - you're good to go. If not, don't blame it on the wife!

There are issues to being overweight, and potential civil liability is among them. It could be a good thing to have a weight ticket for your loaded rig on file as evidence of due diligence on your part, just in case. It's also good information for those that care about safety because it's the right thing to do, not merely from fear of liability.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #40

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
For me the Bigfoot was a process of elimination. Intending to retire in a few years and either full-time or very extended trips needed to have the following:
1.) Shower (dry)
2.) Full size fridge
3.) Not have to fold-down/make bed for Wife and I
4.) Very well insulated for late trips up North
5.) Pull with 1/2 ton truck

We looked at the Scamp's and Casita's and liked them but they're just too small for us to full-time in. I also really like the idea of dual axles.

21 Bigfoot's have been made for a long time (1995?). I think the used market is just a lot better for Bigfoot's as compared to the Oliver's and Escapes. I had to look for a year and a half to find my 2003 21RB but got it in the low teens $. If I was going to spend more I would probably have looked closer at the Oliver's and Escape's - they both look like really nice trailers. I wouldn't spend the $$$'s for a new Bigfoot.

I thought for a long time I wanted an Airstream or similar. I was looking at restoring an older one to build the layout I wanted. However, I lived in an old Silver Streak and the condensation/insulation problems with aluminum trailers are not good.

I think in general there is an uptick in people wanting trailers to use in retirement. We are seeing the tail end of the baby-boomers retiring (like me). The layout of the 21RB is perfect for us. Did a round trip to AK this summer (8k miles). Bigfoot worked great for three of us. Only casualties were a shower fixture, string on skylight blind and one tire. Plan on going again in 2021 when I retire (hopefully!).
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot