Why Are Fiberglass Eggs So Popular In Canada? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Why Are Fiberglass Eggs So Popular In Canada?

Just curious. But it seems like fiberglass trailers become more popular the farther north you go, especially in Canada. It seems like there are relatively few of them here in the US Southeast. Any ideas why this might be so?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #2

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Could be the lack of RV parking lots.up here most parks (government run) were never built to accomidate the large RV of taday making spce an issue, also could be the cost of fuel and as gets more expensive as you go north and further away from the refineries.

Less snow birds and more younger couples? We also tend to hold on to things here for a number of years. all hyotheticle guesses of course though. I want one cause they are cool and retro and simple.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I think the majority of them were made in Canada (Boler, Trillium, and now Escape). Perhaps this stems from them being "invented" by a Canadian (Boler).

Some are made in the US now, but many of them started in Canada - for example Scamp started by using Boler molds, as I understand it -- perhaps to make Boler Americans -- and many are still made in Canada.

Other US made brands were more minor and/or are out of business now (Perris/Hunter/various Boler clones).

There are a few made in the US now (Trillium, Egg Camper), but for many years there were sooo many made in Canada.

I think only Casitas are made in the south (Texas), and they seem to be Boler clones (well, not exactly clones, but somehow related guessing by shape).

Anyway, in summary, I think it's safe to say that in the early years the vast majority were made in Canada.

Raya

PS: I have done my part, having picked up my Winnipeg-built Boler in Winnipeg, where it lived for its first 34 years, and bringing it to the SE US
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Burro Widebody (bought in Ohio. Drove home Spring 2009!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
I think only Casitas are made in the south (Texas)...
Oliver. middle Tennessee. (although production is on hold for now due to economic conditions, per their website...)

I've done my part to maintain northern popularity by bringing my Escondido, CA built Burro North to Alaska... via the original owner who lived in 'northern' Ohio...
reinhold m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Yes, Oliver would count as SE; I didn't mention them along with Casita since they have suspended production, and since as far as I know they were made in very limited quantities. Nice trailers.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think due to our higher fuel prices due to high Taxes, Canadians on average buy smaller vehicals so therefore buy smaller trailers to pull around. Of course this is just my own opinion.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
"Why Are Fiberglass Eggs So Popular In Canada?"

'Cuz, like Canada, they're tough, reliable, and smaller than their neighbors.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not really sure they ARE any more popular in Canada than the US. Sure a large percentage of the Bolers and older Trilliums are in Canada because that's where they were made (and sold). I bet most of the Boler Americans are still in the US. Other than Bolerama, ALL of the fiberglass forums are USA-based. That's not to ignore the forums across the pond. But this is a US vs Canada popularity contest . As far as I know Canada is down to two molded fiberglass trailer manufacturers, Escape and Outback (Bigfoot maybe back soon).

But in the long run, popularity by country really doesn't matter. However, the US was a bit slower to catch up!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #9

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Maybe in the Southeast they like to take longer to park the rig.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Maybe because the snow slides off the some what curved fiberglass roof better...
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Hey Doug P.

No one wants to be behind us.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 1976
I know for our family and alot of our friends here in British Columbia, they are a great trailer for small familys and we can take our Trillium everywhere, we go off road, we can fit into small spaces and never have to worry about the weather. We have alot of extremes in weather and can camp at any time of year without the worry of leaks.We also like to camp in the wilderness, we don,t like the bigger rigs as we only sleep in the trailer and do everything else outside
Trish S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #13

Name: Kyle
Trailer: 1979 TM14
Manitoba
Registry
I will tell you when I rolled my trailer into the lot where my old man sells brand spanking new KZ, Palomino and other brands of trailers, the guys in the showroom came out to look and drooled over my new toy. More people will give you the thumbs up dragging a 30 year old egg around the countryside than some dude who just spent $20k on a hunk of aluminum siding and wood with a few fancy decals.

I would rather have my trailer than a payment, just my .02
SurfSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Fiber My Algee Eh is a slow spreading disease. It started out in the Canadian Midwest and hasn't reached into the lower 48 much. It doesn't do too well in the bright sun for long periods of time, but thrives in nice shady spots near running water. This is not to lessen the degree of the sickness as no matter where you are, once contacted, it is incureable!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #15

Trailer: 77 Scamp
just testing to see if my avitar photo uploaded.....don't mind me
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Boler
About 20 years ago, the streetrodders started buying up all the Bolers & Trilliums in Canada, because they are light weight and easy to tow. In the past 10 years, there has been influx of small fiber glass trailers manufactured on the west coast. The reason for the large number dating back to early 70' is the Boler and the Trillium were made available in Canada. Alberta, Canada is still the best source of used small trailers.
One of the nices glass units is the Escape, which comes in several sizes, starting at 13ft and also small 5th wheel.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygal View Post
just testing to see if my avitar photo uploaded.....don't mind me
I see it
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote