Why are there no fibreglass trailers at Toronto RV shows? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
I went to the fall RV show at the Congress centre this past weekend and was disapointed again that there were no currently produced fibreglass trailers on display - no Outbacks, Trilliums, Casitas or any other make. I thought Ontario or at least Canada was the epicentre of fibreglass trailer construction in the 1970's and now we have nothing at the shows. Any thoughts?
Phil H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Casita doesn't sell at RV shows, just straight out of the factory. I guess they don't have to since they have a waiting list of buyers.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think Brian is right. They really have no need to put on a lot to sell. I also know from Canadian experiance that the two units built in Canada are small companies. They are plenty busy.

And i do beleive we Canadians are the FGRV Capital of the World.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
And i do beleive we Canadians are the FGRV Capital of the World.
Yes! I need a flag with that on it -- or better yet, put it on a cool leather jacket (with removable liner).
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
The RV shows in our neck of the woods are used to unload whatever the dealers haven't been able to sell. The theme is usually "Bigger is Better", although you can usually find a few small units. The sales people are definitely more interested in selling the big ones, as there is more money to be made. I usually avoid RV shows and RV dealerships.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Phil

As a manufacturer selling direct, RV shows are great for exposure but not necessarily for selling product. Don't get me wrong...we all (manufacturers) need exposure, but at $4000-$6000 for a weekend RV show, it gets costly. You can only spread yourself so thin and you tend to spend your marketing dollars relatively close to home.

As Bob said, most dealers are there to clear out inventory. People that usually purchase at RV shows have found the trailer they want and wait for the show special. Drives me nuts to see the huge discounts offered at shows but thats the mark-up game.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #7

I too have been to shows in Toronto.

It really is a shame that none of our fav trailers are there.

I personally would like to see some & compare. We currently do not own a trailer, but are considering a purchase. Pictures on the web only show so much. There is nothing like standing there in person & seeing with your own eyes.

The folks at Casita offered to send us some names of owners in the Toronto area, but I would feel awkward just calling someone & saying " Hi we want to come over & see your trailer"

I guess we could try & attend the get together at Emilly, but that to is awkward ... " hi we came to check out all your trailers & snoop "

Paul
Paul Riehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I too have been to shows in Toronto.

It really is a shame that none of our fav trailers are there.

I personally would like to see some & compare. We currently do not own a trailer, but are considering a purchase. Pictures on the web only show so much. There is nothing like standing there in person & seeing with your own eyes.

The folks at Casita offered to send us some names of owners in the Toronto area, but I would feel awkward just calling someone & saying " Hi we want to come over & see your trailer"

I guess we could try & attend the get together at Emilly, but that to is awkward ... " hi we came to check out all your trailers & snoop "

Paul
Don't feel bad about calling those people. They've told Casita that they'd be willing to show their trailer. In return they might get a "finders fee" if you buy after looking at their trailer. I know Scamp does this and I believe Casita does too.
So call and look and ask questions. You'll be amazed at how willing folks are to show off their prized trailer.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Most of the RV show content is displayed by dealers. With Reace's Escape and most of the U.S. producers selling direct, that would leave only Team Trillium (Outback) and Bigfoot represented by dealers... and the one dealer that carried the Outback in Edmonton no longer stocks them, finding them too expensive to be profitable, so they would not likely take one to a show anymore (they did show them a few years ago).

I completely understand the idea of choosing the more appropriate venues for marketing, and not finding the shows a good fit for a small company.

If RV shows are used to clear out stock which has been around too long, the fall shows are an even more obvious example.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Economics plays a very big roll. Don't forget that Toronto is a long, long way and a lot of costly miles for the present manufacturers to ship to. This is a province that's bigger than Texas.
{is it OK to say that?]
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #11

We just attended the Pomona RV show in California, which is advertised as the largest on the West coast, and most of the small molded fiberglass manufacturers were not there. The only exceptions being Oliver, Bigfoot and American Sport (Genesis). Regardless, it was a good opportunity to see the other side of the RV community and the specialty vendors at one event. Oddly enough the salesmen were not that bad and the manufacturer's rep's helpful.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Economics plays a very big roll. Don't forget that Toronto is a long, long way and a lot of costly miles for the present manufacturers to ship to. This is a province that's bigger than Texas.
{is it OK to say that?]
Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
I usually go to the Toronto Fall Trailer show, but missed it this year.

I was expecting that Northern Lite might have their new 16 footer there. The company president is usually at the fall show with their truck campers.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Don't feel awkward about checking out people's trailers at Emily. I would say there isn't anyone there that isn't proud to show off their units and any improvements or mods they have made. This show and tell is standard procedure there.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I assume when you state "bigger than Texas", you mean land area and not population. Ontario is 354,342 square miles and Texas is 268,601 square miles. Ontario has a population of 12 million and Texas has a population of 20 million.

Tom Trostel "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could"
Old 10-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I assume when you state "bigger than Texas", you mean land area and not population. Ontario is 354,342 square miles and Texas is 268,601 square miles. Ontario has a population of 12 million and Texas has a population of 20 million.

Tom Trostel "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could"
What's that in sq. kms.??? The problem with the population figures in Ontario is that 10 million of the 12m. live near ME!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Ontario is 917,741 square km. Texas is 678,354 square km. 94% of Ontario's population lives in southern Ontario.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
Stir the pot
Stir the pot.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
This is a province that's bigger than Texas.
So are Quebec, British Columbia, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories (and Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba are only slightly smaller than Texas)... that's what happens when you split up a big country into only 13 pieces.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote