Why Did You Buy a Casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Keeping in mind advice posted by current owners for us "newbies" about buying too much before we actually take delivery of our egg, I decided to visit one of my local RV supply stores yesterday to just take a look around. Well, I have to admit, I bought the 30 amp to 20 amp plug so when I have my 17' FD in the driveway, I can use house plug-ins. I even bought a 30 amp to 50 amp pigtail so I could plug into the newer 50 amp plug-ins at the RV parks. And I also admit to already buying a Honda EU2000i generator. As I was leaving the store, the owner asked me "why did you buy a Casita?". I had only seen three Casitas before placing my order. I saw the quality, bought into the easy to tow, economical for TV gas idea, and realized the practicality of what a Casita has to offer. Without explaining all that to the guy, my response was just this...
"it is no more than what I need".

Merry Christmas everyone.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
"Less is more."
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Well, I didn't buy a Casita. Why? 3".
I wanted a 13' rather than a bigger heaver trailer. We're used to a very small backpacking tent.
Casita's head room is 3" less than Scamp's in 13' versions. I can feel the ceiling in my Scamp. 3" less and I'd be ducking all time. I'd rather stand up than be hunched over all the time.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I looked at a 13 footer at the Scamp factory in Backus MN. Told the factory rep that I couldn't stand straight inside because the ceiling was too low. He said, "That's okay - you'll get shorter."

Got a UHaul instead - what a difference an inch or two can make!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I looked at a 13 footer at the Scamp factory in Backus MN. Told the factory rep that I couldn't stand straight inside because the ceiling was too low. He said, "That's okay - you'll get shorter."

Got a UHaul instead - what a difference an inch or two can make!
Yup, Head room does matter. I can just stand up in my 13' Scamp.

I think the question Ron was asking was why we purchased a small fiberglass trailer rather than a larger sticky.

The reasons I chose to go this way are.

1. Been a backpacker for many years so the minimalest type of camping is appealing.
2. The ease of towing was another consideration.
3. When camping I prefer to spend my time enjoying the area I'm camped in, instead of spending all my time setting up. Same way with cooking.
4. Some of the areas I like to go into a larger trailer would be difficult to tow into. Boondocking in the back country is the plan.
5. Another use for my trailer and was taken into consideration. We like to hike, but at times a selected trail is far enough away that half the day is spent getting to the trail head. With the trailer we can leave the evening before we want to hike, spend the night, get up and on the trail early in the morning. Some of the places get quite hot later in the day, and it will be nice to be back at the trailer before it gets too hot.
To sum it up, the simplicity of a small, easy to tow, easy to maintain trailer was main appeal.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
1. They're cute
2. I could afford a good used one in great condition
3. Doesn't turn my tug into a fuel hog trying to get somewhere.

4. See number 1.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
The reason that I posted this question on this site, and on the Casita Club website, has nothing to do with the fact that I bought that particular brand fiberglass trailer. It was the way the question was asked of me by the guy in the RV store about why I bought a Casita. He was really asking me why did I buy a small, practical trailer instead of some huge 25-35 footer. He forced me to express the real reason I bought it...just as Byron said...I don't NEED a big stick built trailer. I bought what I think I needed. I was a motorcycle camper with all the expensive backpacking equipment (lightweight, packed small, quality gear). For many years I loved to camp in primative areas in my tent. Well, these old bones are getting too sore to wake up on even the finest of air mattresses. I second Byron's reasons about getting into and out of the more primative areas to get to those beautiful, out-of-the-way places. I absolutely cringe at the idea of spending the night in an RV park next to a 40 foot motor home with it's dishwasher going, A/C humming, TV blaring, kids screaming, generator grinding, well, you get my drift... It's just me and the Lab. What more could I possibly need?
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita