Why did you buy or sell your Fiberglass RV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 AM   #1

Name: Kerry
Trailer: Currently looking
California
Why did you buy or sell your Fiberglass RV?

I follow this forum and I see a number of folks that buy a Casita, Boler, or Scamp (and others) and turn around and sell within a short time? Maybe 2 to 3 years or less.

Why did you buy?

Were you the first owner?

Did the purchase meet your expectations?

If you sold, what caused the sale?

Lack of use?
Age?
Health?
Too much work?
Family growing larger?
Not as much fun as you thought it would be?
Etc.?

If you sold and are still here I would like your thoughts. It will help me with my decision to buy.
MoTownDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTownDog View Post
I follow this forum and I see a number of folks that buy a Casita, Boler, or Scamp (and others) and turn around and sell within a short time? Maybe 2 to 3 years or less.
Why did you buy?
Lack of use?
Age?
Health?
Too much work?
Family growing larger?
Etc.?
If you sold and are still here I would like your thoughts. It will help me with my decision to buy.
Interesting question Kerry, don't think I've seen it before. I'm sure there will be many answers. You don't say your age, kids ect which would probably get you more direct answers. Example, I bought a bunkhouse class C so my young girls had a "room" to call their own, worked well. As empty nesters, I bought the SD 17 used because I liked the layout and wanted the flat door. It has worked fine but being around and in many other eggs, there is another egg in the same size with a layout that would work better for me if and when the time comes. The layout/floor plan is probably why most folks move up or down along with how/where they camp or travel. I've had everything but a 5er and popup in over 30+ years, none were perfect but did the job. Experiencing different layouts and rigs is how you learn what works best for you. The one thing about FG is they hold their value so well and if/when you decide to try a different one it a can be pretty much a wash to the wallet . As to the last few questions, none are a concern to me. Even if it should only get used once a year it is always ready to go and makes a great bug out or emergency shelter. I live in the desert, our central air was out for a week....guess where we slept . It will be interesting to see what others have to say.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Why did you buy?

Casita Liberty Deluxe

No.

No. See below.

Floorplan did not work for us, mainly the lack of an adequate spot to sit down. Had I been solo, or had our trips been shorter (week long) it would have worked. We tend to take month long trips. In general, I think newbies focus too much on size and brand, and not enough on floorplan. Now for weekend campers, I don't think floorplan matters as much.

Depending on how important camping is to your lifestyle, I think people should also be more open to buying a new tow vehicle, rather than picking a trailer that their current vehicle can handle (or wishing it can handle based on dreamland dry weights). We have two vehicles right now. If I picked a camper based on what my one car (Honda Element) could handle, perhaps the only trailer I could buy would be a basic, no options/no plumbing Scamp 13. Its a fine trailer, but would not fit our camping plans. Fortunately, our V8 F150 can handle almost any molded FG trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Bought a Uhaul CT13 that we just happened to see at a little RV place. Obviously we are not the first owners. Worked OK for us for a few years after many repairs and mods. Next bought a Casita SD17 from friends that were selling it. Again obviously we are not the first owners and they weren't either. Works better than the Uhaul, which we still own and use. No plans or desire to sell either one. The Casita needed nothing but I did do the bearings and a few minor mods.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
We bought our Casita, NEW, from the factory and picked up there. No issues, we got what we paid for and expected. Still have it and hope to for a long time. Only reason to sell would be to upgrade to a larger FG, assuming our health remains.
Mark
Old 09-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #6

Name: Sherry
Trailer: 2016 Casita FD 17
Arizona
Bought and sold many

I bough my Casita new and added all upgrades. I love it but because of my COPD I need to sell. I’ve had 2 trailers, 2 5th wheels and now the Casita. Perfect for a solo or couple. I LOVE the lifestyle.
WestwardHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #7

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Great question and I'll be eager to see the answers!

We bought a Casita 17 LD as an upgrade to our teardrop because we were tired of having to do so much outside in bad weather. Plus we could tow it with our Tacoma and we aren't willing to go to a bigger truck. And fiberglass trailers are just so darned cool!

We love the comfort of having a bit more space without it being overwhelming to tow, and don't feel the need or desire for anything larger. We love having a full bathroom and kitchen indoors. But we aren't sure it is a good match.

The learning curve from the simple teardrop to the fully equipped Casita is huge and it seems that small errors have large consequences. We blew out the city water intake because we didn't know you need to moderate the pressure. We blew out our battery because we forgot to switch the fridge from DC to propane during a lunch stop...spent our whole vacation without hookups, therefore no running water or lights. We've bent the weight distribution hitch hinges because we didn't know that 4 chains is unacceptable, needs to be at least 5. I dodged a bullet when I ran both the fridge and the AC plugged in to 110. OK, so we're learning all these things that won't happen again, but...

Also, we find we are driving past places that would be fun to stop but we choose not to because of the hassle of finding parking. Plus, we live in central OR where the season is very short. It's only mid September and we're already dipping below freezing at night and feel we need to winterize soon.

We're coming to the conclusion that we may really be van people and are thinking of buying a tall van and converting it ourselves into a functional and simple rig we can park in a regular parking spot. Also, we really like to tour more than we like to camp, so not towing sounds good. But it's a big decision, as we'll also need to sell one of our cars to swing it financially. Round and round our brains go!
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
We've bent the weight distribution hitch hinges because we didn't know that 4 chains is unacceptable, needs to be at least 5.

Not sure what you are saying here, and in any event, what's required would depend on the WDH and the installation.
If by "chains" you mean "links", my ProSeries WDH, installed as it is installed, is correct with three links left hanging.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTownDog View Post

Why did you buy?

Lack of use?
Age?
Health?
Too much work?
Family growing larger?
Etc.?

We have had everything in an RV. We've had class A's, class C's, truck slide in campers, van camper, 5th wheel, 2 Casita's, etc. We've liked them all depending on our situation. The class A's are harder to drive. They like to wander on the road and catch the semi's winds. Truck campers can go most places but you need a large truck to handle them. Our 5th wheel my husband couldn't back up good enough and was always cutting corners in gas stations. So I got tired of yelling at him to not hit stuff. I could drive it and park it but he just couldn't. We drove some of our class C's for a long time and just wanted more in them such as A/C. Our first Casita was a 1985 and was a test to see if we wanted to tow a trailer. It was cheap and we did a lot of fixing on it. Got our money back when we sold it. The floor plan had a gaucho couch which we hated. No grey water holding tank and a 5 gallon black water tank. But we didn't mind towing it so we sold it and bought a new 2007 17ft Casita in the floor plan we liked. We still have it and just got home from a 3,316 mile trip in it yesterday. We like the captains chairs instead of the bench seats because they are more comfortable and we use things under the chairs for storage so we don't really lose much storage. We leave the bed made up all the time with a sleep number mattress. Just have to remember if going up a lot in altitude to let air out so it won't overfill and split the seam. We liked having the tow vehicle to run around in on this trip. We also have a 2012 21.5 ft class C motorhome and use it for most long trips when we know we can drive it everywhere. We usually don't stay in one place for more than one or two days so the motorhome works real good. We liked the Casita because it seemed to be of higher quality inside and out. It also seems to have more amenities included in the price than the Scamp. We hit a lot of wind on our trip and it didn't bother the Casita at all. It bothered the tow vehicle more. We tow with a 2013 GMC Yukon XL. So it has plenty of power and space for passengers and needed gear. We only use a small sway bar and receiver hitch. Our vehicle doesn't need a heavy sway control system. Hope this helps with your decision. Fiberglass trailers get their investments returned usually.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Currently on the road, responding by phone which is difficult.

Bought new 2013 Casita 17’ SD loaded. Took it to Little House for additional mods. Did even more mods myself.

Expect to sell next year. Too small. Need to seat at least 4 adults at table.

May get Airstream 25’ or 28’. Or class c prob not class a but wife likes the class a. I like the Oliver but she says too similar to Casita in size.

We like to go into remote areas, so Casita fits that very nicely.

Darn it, talking myself back into Casita. Maybe won’t sell.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Why did you buy? Retired and could not afford to travel as much as we'd like, staying in motels and eating out. Camping in the Pacific NW can be rainy much of the year. Cheapest alternative was a used tent trailer, which we realized would only see summer use (would be put away wet, then have to be opened under cover somewhere). Next up were A-frame trailers (Chalet, Aliner, etc.). They were expensive, did not have much storage, not sure they would seal completely in driving rain. Then we reviewed stick/tin and fiberglass composite trailers, discovered the maintenance and quality issues. Finally arrived at fiberglass; our neighbor has a Casita, which we looked at and fell in love with. We wanted to use a 4Runner for towing, to get reasonable mileage; the conventional trailers, while roomier, had too much surface area for our liking.

Were you the first owner? No. We looked for a used Casita for a couple of months. We found an older one, but the owner had recently bought it, and could not vouch for its condition. We were new to trailering, and wanted something we could count on. So we bought a 4-year old 17' Liberty Deluxe, from about 250 miles north of us.

Did the purchase meet your expectations? Yes, with minor exceptions. The frame was already a bit rusty, which I used converter on, then painted (trailer lived near salt water); the spare tire had rubbed onto the body and damaged the gelcoat, the toilet flush stuck, a couple little things broke. I would expect this in a 4-year-old trailer.

If you sold, what caused the sale? We have NOT sold. Sometimes we think we want something bigger, but realize the tradeoffs in expense and accessibility. If for some reason we did sell, we might get something the same size or 2' longer, probably Escape or Bigfoot. Our Casita was well-optioned, though, and in our first year of ownership, we've dialed many things in to our liking.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We bought our 13' Scamp after missing out on several small tent trailers and the Scamp turned up locally. I was open to anything under 2000# with beds for 4. Molded fiberglass was not a requirement, but it turned out to be a big plus.

Six years and no plans to sell or trade up. Use has declined somewhat as kids are teens and have a busy calendar, but I'm expecting it to pick up again as they leave the nest.

Why did we buy? Motels had become too expensive in our preferred vacation spot. Tenting was okay, but we wanted to get off the ground, and I wanted something with less set-up.

Were you the first buyers? No. Our budget at the time limited us to used units.

Did the purchase meet your expectations? Yes. It has held up well, much better than several other RV's I had owned in the past. It is far more comfortable than a tent trailer would have been, though not as roomy. The wiring has been troublesome, but it has not inconvenienced us much. Resale value was the unexpected bonus. I have no plans to sell, but it is nice to know if the need arose I could sell it easily and get back every penny I paid.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #13

Name: J
Trailer: Shopping puck or scamp
Massachusetts
Escape 17B. First fiberglass TT.
Personally matches our list of required features. Great pricing, plus can to USA conversion.
I
Love it
J Selleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I will be selling my U-Haul CT-13 about a year after I bought it, simply due to a desire for a bigger bed as I am 6'3". I'm not giving up on camping, in fact I have already purchased a different camper (Lite House TfT) with a bed that suites my needs a little better. I could have lived with the U-Haul as there are many things I like about it, but I figure why not get it right.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #15

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
It's been fun reading all the responses!

I don't know anyone who is currently vacationing or living in the first (or second, or third) RV they bought. Like many have commented here, you'll probably buy one or two before you settle on the RV that works for you.

The original owners of my 1988 17' Bigfoot were my parents. I bought it from my Dad in 2002, a few years after my Mom passed away. For the past 4-1/2 years, it's been my permanent home after selling my sticks-and-bricks.

I agree that the floor plan is important. You can tour the interiors of fiberglass RVs on YouTube or this forum & get a good idea of what might suit your needs.

Stuff I've come to know: I don't need a 4-burner stove, 2 would be sufficient, but my oven is a real plus; a decent amount of counter space is invaluable; give the furnace a test run before you buy because some can be very noisy; if you are able, install extra insulation (there's never enough); if you camp in winter, get Dry-Z-Air or a similar product to soak up interior moisture caused by cooking and people just breathing normally; CARRY EXTRA PARTS of everything ; don't leave your awning extended when away from the RV (don't ask how I know that); and most importantly, have fun!

The very best of luck to you, and come back to visit us often.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's not just about finding the ideal RV. Life has seasons, and sometimes what was once the "perfect" trailer no longer is. Kids arrive and kids leave. Weekend trips give way to longer trips or snowbirding or full-timing and back again. Grandkids arrive. Health issues happen. Spouses pass away.

And some people just like a change. A reason is not required.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
Tested waters first

When the boss said no more tent camping, I bought a stripped out 1988 Scamp to determine if trailer camping and/or fiberglass trailers were for us. Over two years we attended several FG Trailer rallies as well as camping at other locations. This experience led us to buy our 2018 Spirit Deluxe in May and then have LHC perform some mods right away. I still have a short term and long term list for future mods. We have logged 8 weeks and 9000 miles so far loving almost every minute.

Dave
Cajun Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #18

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Why did you buy?
While I loved tent camping, my significant other did not. After a week long tent camping trip to Glacier, where I was unable to do any of the camping chores due to an injury just before we left, combined with a bad back and my SO said he was done with the tent. Originally we purchased a tin can "sticky" that we intended to remodel. After realizing how much rot it had, we switched our focus to purchasing a fiberglass RV. We bought a 1982 13 foot Scamp,with front bunk, because it was within six hours driving distance and met our requirements of sleeping four and being able to tow with our Highlander.

Nope.

It met and exceeded our expectations! We loved our little Scamp 13

We sold it after three summers of use, because our boy grew to be 6'2" tall and outgrew the bunk. We also thought we might like having a full time bed and full time dinette. So in October we bought a used (We are the third owner) 2005 Scamp 16 layout 7. It fits our family perfectly and we intend to keep it even as the little (bigish) people leave the nest.

Lack of use?
Nope. We camp roughly 20-25 nights per season, but intend to be part timers when the kids are grown.

Too much work?
Not too much work at all. It's SO EASY to take it out, even if just for one night!

Family growing larger?
The only reason we bought a bigger Scamp was for this reason. The 13 was so cute and so easy to tow...but the 16 is super easy to tow as well.

More fun than we thought it would be! We love our Scamp!!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I sold my 17' Burro after a couple years because I regretted not having a shower and brakes and furnace and a good fridge (it had a little AC dorm fridge) . Leaning toward getting an Escape, if I can swing the payment.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
FIRST:

What did we buy: canopy for truck, with double mattress.

Why did we buy?: relative was selling it cheap, and my family used to camp when I was a kid. (for about two years until my dad bottomed out on it.)

Were you the first owner?: no.

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: yes, I expected little, and that's what we got.

If you sold, what caused the sale?: we ran out of money when Paul got laid off from Todd shipyards.

SECOND:

What did we buy: tent

Why did you buy?: cheap; thought we'd love it.

Were you the first owner?: yes.

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: yes. It was fun.

If you sold, what caused the sale?: discovered a deep fear of bears and setting up and taking down became exhausting and so did sleeping on the ground--also tiresome was waking up to discover the entire inside coated with ice.

THIRD:

what did we buy: Aloha trailer

Why did we buy?: neighbor was selling it and it was cute; also just like the one my parents used to have.

Were you the first owner?: no.

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: yes.

If you sold, what caused the sale?: Paul got laid off yet again from Todd Shipyards and we needed the money.

FOURTH:

What did we buy?: Taos tent-trailer.

Why did you buy?: Fell in love with it at an RV show. Thought it would be easy to tow.

We were the first owners?: yes.

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: No.

If you sold, what caused the sale?: Combo of total lack of storage space, cold as a witch's mitt inside, set-up was a pain in the beyonce. Also, I got sick and we needed the money. (we had paid cash for it.)

FIFTH:

What did we buy: Get-Away Van

Why did you buy?: Friend of Paul's was selling it cheap.

Were you the first owner?: No.

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: No.

If you sold, what caused the sale?: Had to un-camp every time we wanted to do any sightseeing near a campground. It was incredibly small inside. Got 8 miles to the gallon. Our son kept borrowing it and changing things including installing his stuff and taking down ours--so we gave it to him. He immediately sold it.

SIXTH:
What did we buy?: 1973 Amerigo FG-16

Why did we buy?: After all our failures at finding an appropriate camping set-up, we had spent the summer looking at new trailers in our area and researching them online. We discovered FGRV online and began haunting that. We went and saw several used all-molded fiberglass trailers including a Boler, a Trillium, and a Scamp, all 13-footers, all too small for the two of us. We each need our own bed for several reasons involving health/age.

We saw the Amerigo on sale on FGRV and after a lot of discussion and e-mails and calls to the owner, drove to the next state to look at it. The space inside was reasonable, the layout was great (two separate beds, one in front, one it back configured so with a simple added curtain we can each have our own sleeping schedule and some privacy), room for a port-a-potty and what looked like lots of storage. We liked the weight, the space, the windows. We had the money, Paul was retired so we had the time, and we had enough financial reserves so we'd be unlikely to sell it any time soon due to needing the money.

Were you the first owner?: No.

Did the purchase meet your expectations?: No. Owner said it was "camp-worthy" but instead it took Paul seven days a week, 10 hours a day for nine months to gut it and redo the entire inside as well as having the frame redone at his old job, a machine shop. BUT--the space was still very good for us. We were able to redo it to suit our needs even better. We liked being able to customize pretty much everything. We wanted it convenient but also very simple, and that's how we did it.

If you sold, what caused the sale?: 2015 - 2018, owned it three years, longer by a year than any other camping set-up we've had. Intend to keep it for years yet. May never sell it. We have promised it someday down the line to our grandson if he's ready for it when we're too decrepit to get into it any more.

Even if we aren't away camping, Paul uses it most days as a little man-cave in our driveway, watching the neighborhood and visiting with passing neighbors who see him out there and stop for a chat. We have fans, a ceramic heater, and he makes himself cocoa and reads and has some "me" time by himself and enjoys it very much. I like going out there for a nap away from the dogs and the phone.

The 16' 1973 Amerigo has fulfilled our hopes at long last. It was the floor plan, the space (we narrowed the galley by 2" so we had more room in the center of the trailer to walk past each other) the height, and what with a full-height shelved closet, fabric bins, wall pockets, and the front "putin" storage niche, we have lots of room for necessities to be stowed neatly. We love the double walls--molded fiberglass outside and beautiful molded ceiling and paneling inside.

Having rebuilt it ourselves; there are no dark corners where we don't know what's in there; we know what and why everything is in there. We can repair anything that's in there (knock wood!)

Good question. Thanks for asking! Good luck finding your ideal trailer!

Happy camping!

BEST

Kai

"K"

Kathleen
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg