Why did you buy the trailer you have? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Name: Marsha
Trailer: Oliver
We had a 1984 13' Scamp and were looking toward retirement and wanted something a little bigger with a bath. Not sure how I stumbled upon the Casita website, but my original interest was the Liberty because of the king bed option. After seeing one in person and seeing a Spirit, we decided on the Spirit.

Marsha D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
A few years ago a friend recommended a Scamp or Casita so I started the internet search. I found several forums but this one has always been my favorite. Started looking for a 13' and living in NYS you don't see them very often. Well we found a fellow from NYC that had one we made the deal via the phone and he delivered to me in Central NY . He had ordered it with nothing in the front and that's when I started my mods, making a 2 person dinette that could turn into a couch . I got the inspiration from Ken James, he did several of these mods on different trailers. Then I looked for a 13 with a bath, sold it and started looking for a 16 with side dinette. Well sold it and bought a truck camper which was very nice, but we did miss our little trailers. So on June 13th this month we brought home another Scamp 13 my 3rd that I have owned. Its in great shape and won't do to much right now, but I do have some plans in the works. That trailer was only about an hour away which was very nice. This summer we are going to just camp and have some fun.

Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Both trailers were bought for the dogs.

We needed to take a long trip for family matters at the peak of tourist season in a tourist area. Not too many places will allow something over 70 Lbs. in room. Though we had tent camped for years, the old girl would not set foot into a tent because the floors and walls moved. I discovered FGRV and a boler American, the rest was history. As per Donna D's suggestion I considered it a hard tent on wheels for that trip. We even had to use duct tape to keep the rain out of the hole in the roof.

The old girl died and along came a new pup, she took to camping quite well with her own space on the front bench of the boler. A year later, we got her a brother, and they had personal space issues on the front bench. If they were not sleeping, we could not. So along came the Trillium. The extra width and depth of the front bench is all it took for us to remain happy campers. Personally I think the pups preferred the U-haul VT because they could each have their own front bench. But the humans won out over the space issues in the trailers.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I had a Chevy Van for some 19 years which I had converted into a camper. I traded it in on my Jeep. Then I longed for another camper and had always wanted a trailer. So, after looking for nearly a year for a used fiberglass trailer on the west coast I finally decided to order a new one. I'm glad I did because I got everything I wanted on it which might not have been the case with a used one. I bought a Scamp because of the insulation, weight and cost.

I love My Little Marshmallow.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #19
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking Love at 1st sight

Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
First reason, the budget I had to work with. The second reason, the budget I had to work with.
My 1st trailer was a Compact Jr. because it was a gutted out shell that I could get relatively cheap and rebuild. It became pretty much a hard-sided tent with a nice big comfortable bed (We had tent camped before) and room for a porta-potty. A friend I met at another vintage trailer website directed me here to FiberglassRV.

I decided that I really wanted a bathroom with toilet and shower, a kitchen with a 2 or 3-way fridge, and Air Conditioning. While I salivated over ads for a Scamp 16' Side Dinette, it was too expensive to buy one new. While driving around on my rounds for work, I stumbled across the Fiber Stream parked on the street with a For Sale sign in the window.
It had everything I wanted (except for A/C) and a King size bed too!
And the price was affordable!
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #20
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Our venture into fiberglass came as a result of an inheritance from my grandmother and the desire to help the Lakota on Pine Ridge. I had found this organization that housed volunteers on the Rez for a week, so we decided to stay there and volunteer for a week before heading to Yellowstone on vacation. Hubby got the hotels booked. The closer the date came, the less comfortable I got with the housing arrangements on Pine Ridge (just not enough info online), so I started looking on ebay for popups. I stumbled on the Burro on my ebay search that was near us, so we looked at it through the car auction fence and bid on it (Hubby reminded me of the final few minutes of the bid before it ended; I bid more than he said to. Together, we got it.)

Then, I wanted something that had a bathroom, but I loved the design of our Burro. Lo and behold, someone was discussing the pros and cons of a UHaul VT on ebay. Same shape, bigger size, and a bathroom. I followed the link; it had a buy-it-now. After discussing the trailer for 10 minutes (We were driving to a conference in TX. To pick it up in AK was a just a little out of our way.), we hit the buy-it-now.

This trailer has now taken us back to Pine Ridge several times. We take my university students out there to volunteer. Rather than sleep (???) with the college kids, we stay in our trailer. It serves as a cargo trailer on our way out there too, carrying donations for the Lakota from local folks.

And oh by the way, it has taken us every year since we bought it on our vacation trips too (I like to visit genealogy/historical sites. We are going to a conference and two Rev. War sites where I had ancestors in a week). And the fun rallies we see on this site.

CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #21
Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Buying my Trillium was a complete surprise really. I'm retired and travel a lot and frequently to far flung destinations. I would regularly sleep in my car at rest stops. As I get older that was becoming less fun. I decided to build a teardrop trailer. I could pull it easily and it would serve as a bed on wheels. While prodding my local garage for build materials one of the mechanics said there was a local man that has a tiny trailer that had previously been offered for sale but he could offer no details other than directions to his home. Behind the man's house, beside the barn and covered with a tarp, was my Trillium. It had been there for a few years. I had never seen one up close and couldn't believe how much was packed into such a small, light package. He said he would sell it but wanted to get at least $1,500. for it. OMG... really! I bought it, (he had it safety inspected) registered it and took off for a 3 day camping trip the next day. I am grateful for my good fortune.
Barrie Bochoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Buying this little trailer came as a complete surprise. I came home after work and was told that we had to pick up our trailer the next day. Seems that the other half saw it at the back of a RV dealers lot and paid for it on the spot, with my credit card. We got there and found out that it was a Boler and had been freshly painted. After sixteen years of being hauled around the countryside, it has now been re-furbished again and hopefull, it will stay here with us for a while yet.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #23
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
We bought our Oliver after having seen one in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I drove to the factory, looked at them, and was VERY impressed. We gave them our down payment two weeks later. We had casually talked about buying a trailer of some sort and had even looked at some "stickies". At the time we bought, I had never really heard the term fiberglass RV, never heard of a Casita and the only one of this type I knew by name was the Scamp. I had actually thought we would eventually buy an Airstream as the only trailer-owning member of our family owns five of them. We have had the Oliver over 3 years now and have been extremely pleased with it. We've pulled it over 15,000 miles so far with never a problem.
Steve Outlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #24
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
We had a C-Class MH, but after the kids has moved on in life, we found we were not using the MH much. We wanted to be able to easily go, travel & camp and not have such a large unit and to save some gas mpg as well.

Wanting to downsize & having a Ford Ranger, we wanted something it could tow. I remembered ordering Scamp info years earlier, found the phone # and ordered information. They had a DVD as well.

Decided the Scamp looked like what we would like to have and ordered a 16' Scamp with side dinette and a front bath/shower. Sight unseen, never been close to one, never in one. But we did get to visit the factory in Backus....later in the summer. We liked what we saw there. Liked the trailers.

My son & his wife were living in Minot at the time. They picked it up for us and drove it midway down to Loveland, CO where we met them. Over a Labor Day weekend. We ordered it in March and it was completed in August. The wait is always the hard part.

After ordering it in March and after discovering Casita TTs, I order info from them. Rice is closer to us, my sister lives within 60 miles of the place, but to tow with the Ranger, the better size of the 16' Scamp over the 16' Casita plus being able to get a larger fridge at the time in the Scamp and it being lighter and less expensive than the 17', we stayed with the Scamp. The Rest is History.

The only downside has been the narrowness of the rear bed. Side bed is very narrow as well. Ha! We have adapted and have enjoyed the Scamp greatly.

2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Retired the 2003 Ford Ranger in 2009
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Adrian, what year did you get your scamp? You sure have gotten a lot of great miles and memories out of it. I always enjoy the photos you share (thanks for posting them over the years).
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Adrian, what year did you get your scamp? You sure have gotten a lot of great miles and memories out of it. I always enjoy the photos you share (thanks for posting them over the years).
Thanks! 2005.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #27
Name: Ron
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Thumbs up Happy campers!

We bought our first trailer, a pop-up in 1970 when the 4 kids were small. We used the heck out of that thing even spending 60 nights in it one summer. After the kids were grown, we really didn't camp until 1993 when we bought our first diesel motorhome. We're now on our 3rd motorhome which we use to "snowbird" every winter in the South visiting our kids and friends.
In 2007, we decided we needed a 'camper" to use in the summer for visits to National parks, weekend trips, etc. We discussed a small trailer and were prepared to start visiting the RV dealers close to home looking a 'stickies". Before we even made our first trip, my wife mentioned that "she always liked those lil trailers called Scamp".
We got on line and found out Scamp was still in business--yeah! We called and they sent us the requested brochures, etc. Once we had the information we wanted, we called Allen at Scamp, set up an appointment and shortly thereafter headed for Backus. After getting a factory tour and discussing all the options with Allen, we placed our order for a fully loaded 13' deluxe.
We have never regretted selecting our Scamp and are getting ready to take off very soon for a month trip early in July. As they say, "we're very happy campers"--thanks to Scamp!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #28
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
HEADROOM! I always wanted a fiberglass trailer and when I found out that there was finally one that I could stand up in without having to hunch over or duck around things hanging from the ceiling, we bought a new EggCamper sight unseen - and over 1000 miles away.

BTW, I'm 6'4"

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote