Why did you buy the trailer you have? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #57

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I'm in Sanborn...short version is about 6 miles from Niagara Falls. Someday if I win lotto I'd like a 16, but for now my little beaner works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #58

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I'm in Sanborn...short version is about 6 miles from Niagara Falls. Someday if I win lotto I'd like a 16, but for now my little beaner works well for me.
LOL! If I win the lotto, I want a new truck and money for gas!

We have kids out that way. Our middle son and his wife live in Fredonia. They have one son, and our DIL is expecting their second child (woohoo!). Our youngest son lives in Buffalo and commutes to West Falls for work. We get out that way often.

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #59

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
That's wonderful! Congrats on the soon to be new family addition! Whereabouts in NY are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #60

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
That's wonderful! Congrats on the soon to be new family addition! Whereabouts in NY are you?
I think it's wonderful too! thanks!

We live in the town of Coeymans, in the foothills of the northern Catskills. I work in the village of Catskill, and the little woman works in Albany. We live about 1/2 way in-between the two.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #61

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Tim, there will be plenty of Scamps and others at Scamp Camp near Sebring, FL this coming Feb. We'll be among them. Stop by if you're anywhere near there. Tom
I really wanted to come but unfortunantely I have to hoard my time off work for when the kid is out of school, and February is not one of those times.<_< Pure luck would be for a Scamp Camp to coincide with her Spring Break.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #62

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I looked at a number of fiberglass eggs, and settled on the Escape 17B, primarily because Reace, the owner of the company was willing to do a couple of modifications during the build including adding a rear view camera & a cell phone antenna & amplifier. I've had the trailer 3 1/2 years, and so far towed it 55,000 miles with a 2010 RAV4.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 PM   #63

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
We have ordered a 13 Deluxe with a front dinette. Wanted the larger rear bed and still have a spot for the wife and I to have coffee in the morning.Also like the birch interior can hardly wait to pick it up.

We did look at the Trillium 1300 and 1500. The Trillium had nice appliances and refrigerator, and Maxx Air fan. The interior was so ..so. The 1300 bed was 48in. the 1500 we looked at had lot rot with rust staining ALL over the outside of the trailer .and the door seal leaked so the floor was damaged.

Scamp will deliver right from the factory a new shiny trailer.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #64

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
Was driving to a high school volleyball match and saw my future fiberglass egg sitting on the side of the road, in horrible shape, with a for sale sign on her. I snatched it up on the way home, and it's been true love ever since.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #65
Commercial Member

Name: Anders
Trailer: 2010 Coleman 325 37' fifthwheel
Arkansas
This has been the greatest thread !

All RV manufacturers should read and carefully digest this cool thread's content. I believe that it would make the consumer's choice so much better. I have posted a link to this thread over on the Oliver Forums.
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #66

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Virginia
When family circumstances enabled me to travel this spring (2014) instead of just lurking on egg sites, I noticed a Casita on the classified section of a Casita site in Illinois. It was a 2007 and the owner's son represented it as unused except for a trip from the factory in Texas to rural Illinois. The gentleman's parents had purchased it in December 2006 and pulled it straight home without stopping. Since then, it had sat in a barn. I've looked at enough used cars and trucks to be wary but it was, in fact, new and shiny, never slept in, cooked in, or 'relieved in'. The remove-when-first-used labels were still in the fridge. So I had a brand new 2007 egg.

I've kept the son apprised of my travels, which he appreciates since his parents never were able to enjoy using the camper.

jack
Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #67

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip T. View Post
HA! Roger, No doubt about it, man vs bear, bear probably wins, most likely. I guess it's mostly psychological...something about something more fibrous than mosquito netting between me and wherever a bear "might"... "possibly" appear.
Considering that a bear can peel the locked door of a car open if it really wants to I figure anything less than a steel shipping container won't keep one out if it wants in.

From what I know (by no means an expert) bears tend to examine the situation a bit before deciding what to do, even if the bear decided to check it out further there would be some poking and prodding on the outside that would hopefully wake one up before any attempt to come inside. Giving you time to react. Bears are smart. Food smell in here, screaming people running that way, think I'll go for the food. Oh look they left the door open for me!

Having some barrier does make you less accessible and interesting than those folks in the next site with cooler sitting under the screen tent. Or the bag of snacks in the tent. It's like that old joke about not having to outrun the bear, just having to outrun the slowest person in the group running from the bear.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #68

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Camping for me was always a way to get out to where the activities were. Skiing, motorcycling, river sports, hiking, etc. I didn't care what the sleeping arrangements were, as long as there was a place for my sleeping bag. My camping stove, utensils, coolers were always ready on their shelf in the garage. Pick up beds and tents were mostly employed for bunkhouse duty.
Years later when I met Kathy we took a couple of camping trips using a tent and air mattress. She was uncomfortable and didn't want to go any more.
A few years went by and we passed a fiberglass egg on the freeway. Kathy said "I want one of those". I didn't think it would work for us, and didn't give it much thought. I am claustrophobic and couldn't see myself being able to sleep in there.
Then one day I saw an egg at a showing outside a REI store and I walked in and was able to acclimate to the tight surroundings. HMMM maybe?
I discovered this web site and started reading about these trailers and began to think seriously about picking one up.
There were none for sale in San Diego County, but I found 3 in LA. One of them seemed like a flakey deal with a lot of red flags about a scam, and the other two had people ahead of me to look. The Casita sold before I could view it, and the Scamp 16 sold before I got there, but I could still check it out. The buyer left to go to the bank and had been gone for a couple of hours. The trailer looked to be very lightly used for a 2003, and I told the seller I would be interested if the buyer backed out.
He called later in the day and said he never heard from the buyer again, so I had a deal.
Now a few years later I find that having the comfort of the trailer is really appreciated. It is nice having conveniences and shelter that is so easy to hook up and go. Kathy loves it and wants to camp as much as we can find time for. All is good.
Russ
Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #69

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
How We Found Our Eggcamper

I came across an article about small campers, which led me to this Forum. I learned a lot about fiberglass campers from reading information and advice from members, and I knew that there were only a few brands with enough interior height for my 6'4" husband....Eggcamper being one brand. So I set about searching ads on this Forum and also CraigsList. Low and behold an ad popped up on CL for a 2011 Eggcamper about a 4-hour drive away....from an RV dealer. Then the ad disappeared. Assumed we had missed out. Then a few days later, the same ad reappeared. Then disappeared. About a week later, the ad was back. This time I decided to call the dealer...yes, he said they had the Eggcamper sitting right there. I was skeptical. 😕 But hopeful. We said we'd drive up on Saturday to take a look. Called back Friday to see if it was still there....yes, they said. Called again Saturday before leaving home...called again from the road. Boy, I sure did not trust that ad!! Pulled into the lot and there sat the Eggcamper! 😄
My husband and I sat inside and discussed making the purchase. A two minute discussion! In the cabinet, we found a 3-ring binder with the original sale contract and the first buyer's name.....which I googled and found out that he was a member!! So we quickly read all his posts to see if there were any red flags, but all seemed fine. We gave the Dealer a check and they let us drive it away😍. Later I emailed Raymond C, the original owner, to tell him we had purchased his camper! He was very nice....said they traded it in for something bigger. So that's how we lucked into our Eggcamper!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #70

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
1. Our kids are grown up and my wife and I wanted to get back into camping, but I don't want to sleep on the ground any more.
2. We want to be a single-vehicle couple, which means the two vehicle must also be a superb in-town vehicle, which means the tow vehicle must be a 4 cylinder, which means the trailer must be very light.
3. To reduce our carbon footprint - more car camping means less air travel; lighter trailer means less gas consumption and less pollution.
4. To save money on purchase price, repairs (the less stuff you have, the less stuff that breaks), insurance and gas for both the trailer and the tow vehicle.
5. To have a project that my wife and her dad could work on together.
6. To have a trailer that would match my father-in-law's antique 1953 Mercury pick-up truck (which we also use as a tow vehicle, but one that is free to us!)

We found the Boler advertised on kijiji. Boler invented and originally manufactured in Winnipeg - nice Canada touch. And we're Winnip - eggers.

You might say that Boler put the egg in Winnipegg.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020610.jpg   Boler 2.jpg  

P1020620.jpg