Why did you buy the trailer you have? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 AM   #81

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
NICE looking big window Gage and I agree about the pic, would look so sweet
If I can talk the wife into it, I'll have it at Lake Casitas in October. Be a good time to take a pic.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #82

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My uncle had a Trillium 1300 when I was a kid. I was amazed that such a small trailer could sleep four. I also saw them all over Ontario while traveling the 8 hours to the cottage.

So when tenting in our Safari mini van became dangerous for my family of seven, I decided to get a larger van, and a fibreglass trailer. I was very close to buying a 19' Bigfoot tandem axle trailer for $4500, when a Trillium 4500 came up for $2000. Later the next day I had it.

Stuff is not usually my thing, cloths are for comfort, cars are just transport, but this little trailer, and the awesome deal I got made me giddy happy for like six months. In an attempt to recreate the experience, I have since purchased five more. One, arguably two, of them were an even better deal then the first one. But, my first 4500 is still my favorite. Probably because I have put so much into it since I bought it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #83

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Gage, that is really a nice job. How about some interior views? Would love to see those as well.

rob
Rob Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #84

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
I guess i'll chime in since somebody else resurrected a three year old thread
A good thread never has an expiration date.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #85

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
Gage, that is really a nice job. How about some interior views? Would love to see those as well.
rob
Thank you. You can see the complete restore at: Restoring a 1981 Burro Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #86

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Originally posted by jazzjunkysue
"Loving my Patriot!!"

That's a nice looking Patriot Sue! It appears your refrigerator is on the door side. Do you have any interior shots? All we see around here are the Casita 17's. We considered the Casita 13 when we bought the Scamp; but heard they dropped the standard (no bath) models. The tongue weight is a little more than Scamps too it seems. Nice trailers though.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #87

Michigan
Quote:

rob
I second that request Gage. Beautiful rig though. Sharp looking paint job

Tom
Old 08-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #88

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:

rob
+! (or several more than one! ) If the outside looks that great, I'm sure the inside is really something special too. Pix with the TV and pix of the interior are now absolutely required... don't be a tease, please!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #89

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Patriot pics!

Hey, Tom. I really think you're better off with the bigger rig. This is perfect for me alone, and I can tow it with my volvo wagon, and it doesn't sway at all. I wanted the bathroom, so, I snapped this up as soon as I saw it for sale. It didn't need any work, so it was perfect for me. I paid half what I would have for new, but it's as easy as if it were new.

I like the fridge next to the door so that when I'm off hookup, I can keep checking the lp burner to see if it's hot. It's so silent, there's no other way to know it's on!

I carry the propane inside (ducking under the camper for incoming warnings) to take the 70lb off the tongue. But an expert recently told me the 265 tongue would be ok with my volvo, despite their ridiculously low 165 stated in their manual. I weighed it with a scale and it's 194lb, so I think I'm ok. I make sure to drive empty for that reason. I want the weight in the volvo.

As requested, pics!!!
Attached Thumbnails
20140601_083507.jpg   DSCN3068.JPG  

DSCN3070.JPG   DSCN3071.JPG  

DSCN3073.JPG   DSCN3065.JPG  

DSCN3067.JPG  
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #90

California
Well gentlemen, just click on the wording 'Restoring a 1981 Burro Fiberglass Travel Trailer'. The inside was kept pretty basic with just a couple ideas incorporated. Oh, the inside also got a fresh paint job.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #91

Pennsylvania
Gage,
A-hem. AND ladies!

I love the tail lights and the paint job! How'd it get so silvery? Looks like an air streamer!! Gorgeous!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #92

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
OK, I went to your website and saw the pix there... just enough to really get me cranked up on how well you did! I really like your use of chromed checker plate on the tongue and the blue panel theme carried out all the way to your propane tank was absolutely GAW-JUSS! I would like to know about the wood you used instead of carpeting on the ceiling. Was it just the thin layer of a laminate, or some sort of thin plywood?

Frog
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #93

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
A good thread never has an expiration date.
YOU said it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #94

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjunkysue View Post
Hey, Tom. I really think you're better off with the bigger rig. This is perfect for me alone, and I can tow it with my volvo wagon, and it doesn't sway at all. I wanted the bathroom, so, I snapped this up as soon as I saw it for sale. It didn't need any work, so it was perfect for me. I paid half what I would have for new, but it's as easy as if it were new.

I like the fridge next to the door so that when I'm off hookup, I can keep checking the lp burner to see if it's hot. It's so silent, there's no other way to know it's on!

I carry the propane inside (ducking under the camper for incoming warnings) to take the 70lb off the tongue. But an expert recently told me the 265 tongue would be ok with my volvo, despite their ridiculously low 165 stated in their manual. I weighed it with a scale and it's 194lb, so I think I'm ok. I make sure to drive empty for that reason. I want the weight in the volvo.

As requested, pics!!!
Sue, looking good! I'm not sure, but you may even have more storage area than we do. Looks like some pretty big compartments from here, especially above and below your frig, and that huge door below your stove! It's a mighty fine looking rig. Like Donna always says, "love the one your with".(or words to that effect) We have the 54" bed, so next to no counterspace, and the curbside closet is so narrow; they call it a pantry. We're all about adapting and overcoming. It sure is fun, huh?

Tom
Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #95

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
Well gentlemen, just click on the wording 'Restoring a 1981 Burro Fiberglass Travel Trailer'. The inside was kept pretty basic with just a couple ideas incorporated. Oh, the inside also got a fresh paint job.
Nice job Gage! I used to follow your work on the t 'n ttt forum some time ago. I like your old school style. Thanks for the link.

Tom
Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #96

Pennsylvania
Dear Tom,
Well, thank you. I've got 5 storage areas, and 4 of them can hold large plastic bins. The one over the bed is large but the access is only 4" or so high, so I use those huge zip loc vacuum bags and put small clothing items in them. I pull them down, search around, and stuff them back up there. My dirty clothes wind up in there, too.

I have 2 big plastic bins over the fridge: Basically bathroom/kitchen goos and liquids. I like to hang my clothes in the closet after unhitching. That's a wonderful luxury when camping. In tents, I got so tired of all my crap on the floor. Under the sink and bed is the garage: Hoses, parts, funnels, etc.

There's only counter space when the stove is not in use, but that's the same for your 13' Scamp. They do have the same layout. I find I have to have my own folding table just outside the door, or my mind freezes up completely. You need some big, empty space to put things down and think!

It's part of the fun!

Works for me alone!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #97

Michigan
Hey Sue, my log in timed out as I typed a reply to your post. When I re-logged in, the reply was lost in cyber space. I just said that I was used to making do with little equipment, and nowhere to put it. Working out of duffle bags or packs in the Army, bicycle touring with little panniers and small bags, portaging canoes and packs in the Boundary Waters, and traveling cross country on my motor cycles with saddle bags all helped me prepare for life in a 13 foot camper. My wife is taking the crash course. You're right, it does reduce the stress level if you can organize your stuff, and have a place to put it. It takes discipline, no doubt. A good life's lesson for all. Just remember to have fun and be able to laugh when things don't go according to plan. Enjoy that awesome little trailer of yours.

Tom
Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #98

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Gage, that blue looks fabulous on the Burro! I really like it. That might be the best looking FG egg exterior I've ever seen.

After selling the KZ recently, I haven't seen an egg that was just right for me yet. And I have a real problem with being trailerless, I guess (am I a trailer-holic?). And, well... a reasonably priced 4 year old Aliner popped up on CL less than 50 miles from home. I went to look at it and couldn't help myself. It followed me home that day, and I was very pleased with the 21 mpg I got while towing it. Y'all please forgive me, I'm weak!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #99

Pennsylvania
Miiiiike!!!

An impulse buy. It's like seeing a puppy in the window.

Shame!!

Pics, please.
Sue
Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #100

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
And, well... a reasonably priced 4 year old Aliner popped up on CL less than 50 miles from home. I went to look at it and couldn't help myself. It followed me home that day, and I was very pleased with the 21 mpg I got while towing it. Y'all please forgive me, I'm weak!
You're forgiven Mike, just let us know when you've traded that thing for a proper trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote