Why did you buy the trailer you have? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #71

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
That is such a cool setup Rova, nicely done!!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #72

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Thx Rob!

Old 08-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #73

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rova View Post
6. To have a trailer that would match my father-in-law's antique 1953 Mercury pick-up truck (which we also use as a tow vehicle, but one that is free to us!)
Looking good doing it is very important. And that is a good looking setup inside and out!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #74

Name: T&K
Trailer: Boler
Manitoba
Thx Timber. If you imagine you will use it for 25 years, putting in a bit extra up-front so you are feeling good about your rig makes a lot of sense to us.

Tom

Boler - putting the egg in Winnipeg since 1968.

Rust never sleeps. - Neil Young
Fiberglass never rusts. - Boler
Old 08-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #75

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Why did you buy the trailer you have?

Yep, rova - beautiful combo. The shape of the Boler perfectly echoes the fenders on the truck!

Afraid our own reasons for buying our Scamp were a bit more prosaic. We love spending time at the beach, but the rising price of hotels pushed us further and further inland, which rather defeats the point. We tried S. Carlsbad Beach State Park in a tent, but my back no longer enjoys sleeping on the ground. We were in the market for a small tent trailer in the $3-4K range. I knew about FGRVs (friend had a Scamp 16' and had visited their website) but thought the 13'ers would be too small for the four of us and the 16'ers too heavy for our vehicle. Several nice tent trailers were sold out from under us in Phoenix when this Scamp 13' showed up on the side of the street in nearby Show Low. First time I'd ever been in one, and I was amazed at how much room there was inside! I grew up with a tent trailer, and the idea of NOT having to fold up wet canvas appealed to me a lot. Brought the family to see it, did some research online (and discovered this site), and bought it the next day. Being late October, we got a great deal within our budget. Right place, right price, right time, right trailer!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #76

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

I guess i'll chime in since somebody else resurrected a three year old thread

Like many of you, my wife and i started out car campers when first married. Our first rig was a 1975 Toyota FJ40 set up for tackling the Rubicon Trail in our (then) backyard of Reno Nevada. We had a nice tent setup and a chuck-box set up accessible from the rear of the FJ.

Moved to Oregon and tents had to go! and were replaced eventually with a folding solid wall A-Frame trailer we towed behind a Tacoma 4x4 and hit the forestry trails.

That got to small and we got the AWD van...but found ourselves toting and setting up a screen-room for the outside kitchen/table/chairs. After a few to many rainy June/July camp trips we said the "Tent has got to go" one more time and i looked for a trailer to tow.

We knew we wanted something small and light (under 3K if poss.) We also believed we would continue to sleep on our Froli Sleep System inside the van conversion that also had a nice bathroom for use at night. So all we were really after is a conversation area with a table, a functional galley, and a shower. And since we were in the Pacific Northwest and have rarely had a completely _dry_ adventure, we wanted Jalousie style windows so we could open them up rain or shine. We would not need an A/C unit. We would not need a fridge (our 7 to 10 day coolers in the van were working fine), and we did not want propane on board.

With those _wants_ in mind i began the research and contacting various small fiberglass trailer manufacturers. The one that stuck out that said "Yes" to every one of my perceived needs (to camp in our style) at that time (fall of 2012) was Chandler of Parkliner in North Carolina. I went in eyes wide open knowing they were a start up, but i liked what i saw in a prototype (#2 or #3 hull i think). If i were to do this all over knowing what i know, now in our second season (we got our #35 in April 2013), i would do it all again with another Parkliner.

Happy Trails in the trailer & rig of your _choosing_.
It's what makes the world go around

Thom

Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 PM   #77

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Much of the beauty of Oregon is in the back country. Some of the best swimming lakes are small lakes 2 to 5 to 10 miles from the nearest road. Some of the best views are from peaks that you have to walk 2 to 3 miles sometimes with 2,000 to 3,000 ft gain. Spending a night with stars as a ceiling, nothing like it. We carried a tent, but didn't always use it. We found car camping a pain with noise and the crowds.
Things changes as the years rolled on. First we started going to events that required camping to attend. This started to cause a problem with the backpacking tent. In the out back, you get in the morning step outside stretch look around and enjoy the sights and smells, then put on your pants. At events when you woke up you had to get dressed lying on your back. So that the first excuse to buy the trailer. It took two years of looking before buying new. It took another 2 to 3 months going over and over the options list until we got right. Then the almost perfect new trailer was delivered. Short trips on the week-ends year around were now the norm. Longer trips for vacation weeks. Once retired two week vacations and traveling 300 to 400 miles turned into 3 to 4 month trips with travel distances closer to 6,000+ miles. I consider us fortunate to have camped, backpacked and knew mostly what we wanted.

As the years of backpacking wore on we upgraded our equipment, but did not dispose of the older replaced gear. As a result most of it went straight into the trailer. The backpacks are still packed with the upgraded gear. Would like to get back into shape enough to take at least a mile hike to a little lake I know and spend a couple days there. I'm sure it would be real quiet Monday - Thursday.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #78

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Connecticut
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories on here.

Me?
I was getting ready to buy an aluminum one with a guy I was dating. He turned out to be a total liar.

Bottom line: I wasn't sad about losing him, just the camper!

No, really! I was totally bummed. "Geez! I really wanted to buy it!!!."

So then I got thinking, if there was some way for me to do this alone, and something that would fit in my narrow driveway (I live in a small city.)

The eggs are 1 +1/2 feet narrower than the aluminum, and I started reading these forums.

One was listed on the Penn/Jersey border used, and I ran right over with a rented uhaul. It had a 4 pin plug! I found a local rv guy who built me the hand-made adapter on the spot and hauled my Puppy home. That was 3 months ago, and now I can even back up!

Living in the bustling northeast, right on the I95 corridor, I need the state parks for a refuge. As soon as I pull into the gate, the advertising stops. No one is asking for my money. No one selling anything, except firewood and marshmallows. I already had the kayaks going, so this gives me a home base to travel alone, high and dry, bathroom included. No more wet tents.

Now, I have the whole coast, the cape, R.I., and I'm looking at the jersey shore this weekend. I'll use it in my retirement, and to visit my future grandchildren. "Grandma's here!!!"

The Casita Patriot 13 is so easy to tow, and I can even wheel her around by hand a little. Anything bigger would be beyond me. She just fits, and the quality is great.

My rv guy said the 2005 needed nothing but new tires. Great value retention.

Loving my Patriot!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2741.JPG   DSCN2959.JPG  

Old 08-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #79

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
I've been in Teardrops and Vintage trailers for more than a few years and a Burro was on my bucket list for when I sold my other TT's, still have the teardrop and now I have a Burro that I restored and use.

PS: I guess I need to get a pic of the Burro behind my '56 F100

Old 08-26-2014, 01:42 AM   #80

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
NICE looking big window Gage and I agree about the pic, would look so sweet
Old 08-26-2014, 02:37 AM   #81

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
NICE looking big window Gage and I agree about the pic, would look so sweet
If I can talk the wife into it, I'll have it at Lake Casitas in October. Be a good time to take a pic.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #82

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
My uncle had a Trillium 1300 when I was a kid. I was amazed that such a small trailer could sleep four. I also saw them all over Ontario while traveling the 8 hours to the cottage.

So when tenting in our Safari mini van became dangerous for my family of seven, I decided to get a larger van, and a fibreglass trailer. I was very close to buying a 19' Bigfoot tandem axle trailer for $4500, when a Trillium 4500 came up for $2000. Later the next day I had it.

Stuff is not usually my thing, cloths are for comfort, cars are just transport, but this little trailer, and the awesome deal I got made me giddy happy for like six months. In an attempt to recreate the experience, I have since purchased five more. One, arguably two, of them were an even better deal then the first one. But, my first 4500 is still my favorite. Probably because I have put so much into it since I bought it.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #83

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Gage, that is really a nice job. How about some interior views? Would love to see those as well.

rob
Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #84

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
I guess i'll chime in since somebody else resurrected a three year old thread
A good thread never has an expiration date.