Why did you buy the trailer you have? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Buying my Trillium was a complete surprise really. I'm retired and travel a lot and frequently to far flung destinations. I would regularly sleep in my car at rest stops. As I get older that was becoming less fun. I decided to build a teardrop trailer. I could pull it easily and it would serve as a bed on wheels. While prodding my local garage for build materials one of the mechanics said there was a local man that has a tiny trailer that had previously been offered for sale but he could offer no details other than directions to his home. Behind the man's house, beside the barn and covered with a tarp, was my Trillium. It had been there for a few years. I had never seen one up close and couldn't believe how much was packed into such a small, light package. He said he would sell it but wanted to get at least $1,500. for it. OMG... really! I bought it, (he had it safety inspected) registered it and took off for a 3 day camping trip the next day. I am grateful for my good fortune.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #22

Trailer: Boler 1984
Buying this little trailer came as a complete surprise. I came home after work and was told that we had to pick up our trailer the next day. Seems that the other half saw it at the back of a RV dealers lot and paid for it on the spot, with my credit card. We got there and found out that it was a Boler and had been freshly painted. After sixteen years of being hauled around the countryside, it has now been re-furbished again and hopefull, it will stay here with us for a while yet.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #23

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
We bought our Oliver after having seen one in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I drove to the factory, looked at them, and was VERY impressed. We gave them our down payment two weeks later. We had casually talked about buying a trailer of some sort and had even looked at some "stickies". At the time we bought, I had never really heard the term fiberglass RV, never heard of a Casita and the only one of this type I knew by name was the Scamp. I had actually thought we would eventually buy an Airstream as the only trailer-owning member of our family owns five of them. We have had the Oliver over 3 years now and have been extremely pleased with it. We've pulled it over 15,000 miles so far with never a problem.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We had a C-Class MH, but after the kids has moved on in life, we found we were not using the MH much. We wanted to be able to easily go, travel & camp and not have such a large unit and to save some gas mpg as well.

Wanting to downsize & having a Ford Ranger, we wanted something it could tow. I remembered ordering Scamp info years earlier, found the phone # and ordered information. They had a DVD as well.

Decided the Scamp looked like what we would like to have and ordered a 16' Scamp with side dinette and a front bath/shower. Sight unseen, never been close to one, never in one. But we did get to visit the factory in Backus....later in the summer. We liked what we saw there. Liked the trailers.

My son & his wife were living in Minot at the time. They picked it up for us and drove it midway down to Loveland, CO where we met them. Over a Labor Day weekend. We ordered it in March and it was completed in August. The wait is always the hard part.

After ordering it in March and after discovering Casita TTs, I order info from them. Rice is closer to us, my sister lives within 60 miles of the place, but to tow with the Ranger, the better size of the 16' Scamp over the 16' Casita plus being able to get a larger fridge at the time in the Scamp and it being lighter and less expensive than the 17', we stayed with the Scamp. The Rest is History.

The only downside has been the narrowness of the rear bed. Side bed is very narrow as well. Ha! We have adapted and have enjoyed the Scamp greatly.

2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Retired the 2003 Ford Ranger in 2009
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Adrian, what year did you get your scamp? You sure have gotten a lot of great miles and memories out of it. I always enjoy the photos you share (thanks for posting them over the years).
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Adrian, what year did you get your scamp? You sure have gotten a lot of great miles and memories out of it. I always enjoy the photos you share (thanks for posting them over the years).
Thanks! 2005.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #27

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Thumbs up Happy campers!

We bought our first trailer, a pop-up in 1970 when the 4 kids were small. We used the heck out of that thing even spending 60 nights in it one summer. After the kids were grown, we really didn't camp until 1993 when we bought our first diesel motorhome. We're now on our 3rd motorhome which we use to "snowbird" every winter in the South visiting our kids and friends.
In 2007, we decided we needed a 'camper" to use in the summer for visits to National parks, weekend trips, etc. We discussed a small trailer and were prepared to start visiting the RV dealers close to home looking a 'stickies". Before we even made our first trip, my wife mentioned that "she always liked those lil trailers called Scamp".
We got on line and found out Scamp was still in business--yeah! We called and they sent us the requested brochures, etc. Once we had the information we wanted, we called Allen at Scamp, set up an appointment and shortly thereafter headed for Backus. After getting a factory tour and discussing all the options with Allen, we placed our order for a fully loaded 13' deluxe.
We have never regretted selecting our Scamp and are getting ready to take off very soon for a month trip early in July. As they say, "we're very happy campers"--thanks to Scamp!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
HEADROOM! I always wanted a fiberglass trailer and when I found out that there was finally one that I could stand up in without having to hunch over or duck around things hanging from the ceiling, we bought a new EggCamper sight unseen - and over 1000 miles away.

BTW, I'm 6'4"
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile How we obtained and use Homelet

We had tent camped for years with a Laacke & Joys Wildwood cabin tent:

Laacke & Joys is Milwaukee's oldest and most experienced outdoor store

As you can see by the price, it is a quality tent.

We were camping in it at Fort Worden SP near Port Townsend in September 2008, when I told my wife that I just couldn't do the tent scene any longer. Lo and behold, a fellow pulled into a nearby space with his Ford Ranger pulling a 16' Casita! One look and I was hooked. I had never realized such compact trailers were available. We wanted one that could be pulled by our 2000 Subaru Outback so it had to be under 2000 lbs.

We got on the internet, found FGRV, and Scamp, Casita, and Trillium. Since the Trilliums were made at that time in Sacramento, only 600 miles vs 2000 for Scamp and Casita we decided to go with them. I also liked the way they looked and how they are built. Although we thought of driving to Sacramento, Tom was working with Escape at the time and was able to give us a good deal on a delivery on one of his trips to Chilliwack.

http://trilliumrv.com/

We love our Trillium and have taken one 4000 and one 5000 mile trip with her, for 58 days in the last one, along with numerous trips to FGRV NOGs and with our Good Sam Hitch N Go chapter. On another thread on this site, I figured that in the first 905 days of owning Homelet, we spent 170 days in her.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #30

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We had tent camped for years with a Laacke & Joys Wildwood cabin tent:

Laacke & Joys is Milwaukee's oldest and most experienced outdoor store

As you can see by the price, it is a quality tent.

We were camping in it at Fort Worden SP near Port Townsend in September 2008, when I told my wife that I just couldn't do the tent scene any longer. Lo and behold, a fellow pulled into a nearby space with his Ford Ranger pulling a 16' Casita! One look and I was hooked. I had never realized such compact trailers were available. We wanted one that could be pulled by our 2000 Subaru Outback so it had to be under 2000 lbs.

We got on the internet, found FGRV, and Scamp, Casita, and Trillium. Since the Trilliums were made at that time in Sacramento, only 600 miles vs 2000 for Scamp and Casita we decided to go with them. I also liked the way they looked and how they are built. Although we thought of driving to Sacramento, Tom was working with Escape at the time and was able to give us a good deal on a delivery on one of his trips to Chilliwack.

trilliumrv.com

We love our Trillium and have taken one 4000 and one 5000 mile trip with her, for 58 days in the last one, along with numerous trips to FGRV NOGs and with our Good Sam Hitch N Go chapter. On another thread on this site, I figured that in the first 905 days of owning Homelet, we spent 170 days in her.
I enjoyed that story Roger!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #31

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Once the slaves stopped camping with us we decided to go hard sided but wanted something that wouldn't be a burden to pull. Looked at used and decided for the money and the distance we would have to drive went with new in 07 with a 13' Scamp. We graduated to the 5th Wheel Scamp to be able to live in it. So last summer it was Wisconsin, this summer North Dakota.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
When I was young, my parents took me traveling in a truck camper, then car/motel, then in a 22' motorhome. The MH was a great way to go, but expensive.

In my "family man" years I could not afford an RV and motels get pretty costly, too, so we tented. But I always pined for an RV. A trailer seemed most sensible: not as expensive as a motorhome, not requiring a pickup for truck camper, and easy to change tow vehicles when one wore out.

In 1999, kids about grown and doing their own thing, Sherry and I bought a popup. Affordable, low profile, easy to tow with minivan. But I quickly tired of jams and splinters from the pull-out platforms, cranking up and down in heat or rain, lack of a bathroom, and the sound of canvas in the wind. And Sherry had the willies about bears when in Wyoming... afraid they were going to get her through the canvas. So after one summer we sold it. Finally got a hardside trailer in 2005, now on our 3rd (much smaller) trailer.

Why did I buy the one we now have? Price and layout were the best IMO. And when I climbed into it and sat down, I felt like I belonged in it.
-------
P.S. Cyndi B, I just noticed that you and I currently have the same number of posts at 538! Funny how that worked out. I'm sure it will change momentarily, but what the hey...
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #33

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
I just bought a '79 Ventura. I didn't even know what a Ventura was but found it while searching for a Boler or Trillium (I am familiar with them ). I found that the prices for early Bolers were quite high and compared to The condition and price of the Ventura (I ended up payin $2700) a Boler or Trillium would be little more than a mouldy shell. Now saying that the rather flat features of the Ventura don't really appeal to me and probably after a bit of a fix/ clean up I'll be looking to trade up and now that I've decided to tow with my pick up I'll probably be going the 16'+ route. No buyers remorse as everything works as advertised and we have yet to take it camping. It has the apparently typical for a Ventura spyder cracking in the gel coat, the window Cranks are worn out and the door weather stripping has had the bisquit and white duc tape was thought to be an adequate substitute. The PO admitted he was not the handy sort and his wifes uncle got stuck with most repairs. It is very clean inside too. Interestingly enough it does not have the typical 70s woodpaneling it appears to be more modern type panels with wall paper type covering or perhaps someone papered over the wood pannel. If they did they did a fantastic job because it looks factory and extends down under the benches and into the storage compartments. It is well equiped and came with 2 propane tanks, batery and awning and poles. All in all its a good little unit I'm just a little flakey and tend to buy and sell and horse trade stuff all the time.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #34

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I used to go to Fiddlers' Conventions as well as shooting competitions of the American Single Shot Rifle Association and the North-South Skirmish Association and over the years camped out in my various vans, a Suburban, and my little Blazer S. None of this was all that convenient because of the equipment I needed to have with me for the events. When I joined N-SSA, a friend gave me what was left of an old aluminum camper that had been handed down through the unit for years... camper=good, old aluminum=bad! I had been thinking about a FGRV for a while, and this decided it for me, especially when the Al unit began to fall apart after this past Winter!

I talked to a man who restores Airstreams for a living and he said he bought a 13' Burro for his daughter because she didn't want to take care of a 'stream and to him the combination of size, construction style and features made the Burro the most appealing FGRV. I had been leaning that way already, so I put on a big push and found one in the Chicago area, which was OK, except that I'm in Central VA. Since I'm retired, I was able to drive to Chi-town and check it out, then haul it home behind my Chevy Astro. The PO had done a frame-off and had just gotten to the rewiring and decorating stage when he got transferred, so I got it at the perfect time for me... all the heavy lifting done, but I get to finish it to suit myself! I used it for the first time last weekend and even with jury-rigged wiring and no water or stove it did great. I'm well pleased with my choice.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #35

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Motorcycles and tents were getting to our hips and the older we get the more of a fair weather camper we've become. Saw a Scamp one day and actually looked at a 13 Scamp w/o bath and decided that was too small. Sold the motorcycle and had just enough to buy used Scamp. By that time we had Scamp literature and thought the 16 SD would be great. Went 5000 miles around the western US and decided the rear bed was not wide enough for us. Found out the 17 Casita's bed is 10" wider. (didn't realize the deluxe Scamp was wider too then) Sold the Scamp for more than we bought it for and found a slightly used Casita but had to drive 1000 miles to get it. Overall, we feel the Casita is nicer and the bed is definitely better but fond memories of the Scamp remain. It was lighter but little things like caulk at the bellband and cabinet latches that I had to rubber band down. I miss the sink window but enjoy my current outside storage door. The Scamp's door gave more headroom but it seemed to be loosing it's shape and may have been a problem before too long. The overhead cabinets are definitely smaller in the Casita due to the outside shape but it has a rear large cabinet (which I believe you can get with a Scamp). Never did understand why Casita's roof isn't round like others. The A/C is over the bed now which makes sense and not have to go around it in the center. we love to travel and see what we can see and this is perfect. It goes where ever our truck can go. If I wanted to sit at a beach or whatever for a length of time, I'm sure there are others that are bigger for the same money.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #36

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
We went from a tent (about 25 years separate and together) to a Casita FD when we got tired of cooking, eating, living in the rain. Kept that for 5 years and loved every minute we were in it. But the grandchildren are now old enough to visit and there is no way that trailer sleeps four. So we sold Cassie last fall and ordered an Escape 5 after looking at one. Picked it up at the factory Monday and are breaking it in as we visit BC and head home.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #37

Trailer: 2007 Casita
For us the purchase was due to my Dh's illness and my willingness to keep him camping and fishing. But my hesitation to maintaining our 35ft Class A. So we sold the Class A and the first camping trip without it (sleep in the camper shell) was a horrible experience. My main issue with the Class A was dealing with the motor and the roof. So I figured a small bumper pull would do the trick. Only requirement was a bed, bath, air conditioning and fridge. Other than that I didn't care.

Then after looking at some of the small bumper pulls and not caring for the quality and the weight! Wow some of the stickies are heavy! I google searched Light weight bumper pull travel trailers. Well I found this site. Totally got hooked for first few days of exploring this site.

Much to my dismay I found my favorites like, Willerby and most other old ones are near impossible to find much less purchase. So I needed to find a currently produced trailer. At the time I called Casita they had a backlog of 8 months, Oliver was 6 or so months out and Scamp was something like 3 or 4 months, Trillium at the time didn't come with bathrooms, Escape was in Canada. (That is a whole camping season and in my world a whole life time of memories) So used market was where I searched next. Frankly I would have bought any brand as long as it was a newer trailer.

But then I got frazzled (I bought old Casita in need of a lot of TLC) because used egg/glass sales at the time were crazy. They were being sold within minutes of being posted on craiglist. But the glass gods shined on me one day. Despite my purchase of the 85 Casita I was still addicted to the search....... And one morning I found a year old Casita listed in Vegas. I called (I was the first) and everything came together (Glass Gods) and I bought it site unseen! It was a Freedom Dlx, not my favorite model! But it was only a year old and in great shape and the price was right!

Funny thing is, at the time I posted 5 or 6 referrals a day of egg/glass that I found for sale. I didn't post that one and prayed that no one found it till I could get there to pick it up. I couldn't head out for a few days so I was on pins and needles.

Thankfully GregA was on vacation with his family ( he use to post to the referral forum before starting his own referral website he was always posting them as I was trying to buy them. So then everyone was trying to buy them). So I knew I had some time before it showed up in the referral forum. I made it to Vegas and actually got home to Colorado with it day Greg posted it!!!!!! LOL.......... I was able to post, SOLD< TO ME!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #38

Name: Angela
Trailer: 1981 Burro
Texas
We just bought our first RV yesterday, an ancient (1981) Burro. We bought it because we have been looking for months for ANY 13-footer that was within a day's drive that we could actually even LOOK at before it was sold and gone. We live in the middle of nowhere, obviously. So, we finally got our chance to get inside one, and it was way bigger than we thought it would be, so we brought the lil guy home. It's in rough shape, but I have two months before we have a week-long annual camping trip, and I AM STOKED! I'm just glad to finally have a chance to camp in an RV instead of a tent in cold, possibly snowy, bear & cougar territory. WHAT a relief! BUT, I still have a lot of work to do....
Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #39

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip T. View Post
...I'm just glad to finally have a chance to camp in an RV instead of a tent in cold, possibly snowy, bear & cougar territory. WHAT a relief! ....
I hate to break it to you, when it comes to bears the FG egg is pretty much like a regular egg. Little bit of crunchy shell but the soft stuff inside is still good to eat once you peel the shell off.

I think cougars just avoid campers as rule. Been in bear country never been bothered but then camp is clean, no food scraps or trash to draw animals. Raccoons are a whole different story they freeking haunt campgrounds and are persistent buggers!

Really is more comfortable than a tent, especially setting up and breaking camp in inclement weather. Being in a snug little cocoon in bad weather is nice.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #40

Name: Angela
Trailer: 1981 Burro
Texas
HA! Roger, No doubt about it, man vs bear, bear probably wins, most likely. I guess it's mostly psychological...something about something more fibrous than mosquito netting between me and wherever a bear "might"... "possibly" appear.