Why did you buy the trailer you have? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Why did you buy the trailer you have?

In our case, the Egg Camper factory is less than 50 miles from home so more than one visit was easy. The whole operation impressed us as did the owner, Jim Palmer, and his obvious love and enthusiasm for his "baby." And then, there are no rivets through the shell as on some other trailers. We thought the price was right and the pre-delivery session took about an hour and a half and the checklist and owners' manual were extensive. Also liked the spacious feeling inside. Opted for the all electric option.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
We bought our 1975 Trillium 1300 because I have fond memories of my parents renting one when I was a kid and all the fun we had that summer. When I had the opportunity to buy our own trailer a few years back, I checked out the 13' Bolers but thought that my husband wouldn't be able to stand up in them which was a problem. The Trillium we ended up buying was a case of being in the right place at the right time....That seems to happen alot with these rare gems! We've enjoyed the trailer alot and are looking forward to many more fun camping trips with our boys.
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Storage. We went from a 13' to a 16' after the birth of our daughter. Like keeping all gear permanently stored in camper and out of the way yet easily accessible while camping. We wanted a side dinette since we keep the rear dinette in bed mode. Debated what we wanted in accessories and are happy with no bathroom and like the small port-a-potty.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Had a tent trailer, saw a 13' scamp for sale, super cheap, could not pass it up, so I bought it. Did not know much about scamps at the time.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We originally bought a 1982 Sunline 15.5 foot with side bath planning to use for 2 months for a trip to Labrador. We believed our Motorhome would not survive the Trans Labrador Highway. We choose it because it was light, could easily be towed by our Honda CRV and cost only $900. Our only concern was the width of the bed, thinking we'd have to learn synchronized rolling over.

We loved it and after returning from Labrador made a loop of the USA for the next 8 months. We actually lived in it for 10 months that year. We loved the ability to just pop into a Dunkin Donuts.

We used it for another couple years.

This winter we took our son's Casita 16 with front bath. Our major concern was the inside height, only 5'10". We did make a bunch of mods to it for our 7 month trip, creating more organized storage space. It turned out to be fine, however the height issue never went away.

As a result this winter we bought a 1991 Scamp 16 with side bath built for taller people that we've extensively modified. As well, the Scamp is lighter than the Casita, though I haven't figured out why it's lighter.

An interesting thing about no one appeared to ever cook on any of the stoves. I will say that though the Casita and Scamp were heavier than the Sunline, our Honda got better mpgs towing them.
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I needed a trailer I could store in my garage and tow behind a Subaru. Garage door is seven feet so that ruled out most trailers including almost all newer ones except tent trailers and teardrops.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
After 30+ years of camping out a backpack we decided that we wanted something we could stand up in to get dressed. First thought was a small used motor home. After looking at adds that idea was tossed. Maybe a pop-up, then along came molded fiberglass trailers into our thoughts. A pros and cons list was started and all types were put on the list.
Deciding factors on a new Scamp 13' vs others were price, could pull into a rest stop and sleep in the bed, easy to tow, height inside.
Once it arrived and we used it a bit we discovered other things that made us happy with our choice. Insulation, easy to clean wall surfaces, lots of windows and ventilation.
Options were another thing. We could get the options that we wanted and not those we wouldn't use. Our trailer is set up to use mostly off the grid, so things that require 120VAC are a waste of cost, space, and weight.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
First reason, the budget I had to work with. The second reason, the budget I had to work with. I'm a visual person and knew it needed to be roundish. I originally was looking at Eriba Pucks and Bolers. Remember, I was looking to buy before eBay, Craigslist and (even) FiberglassRV! I saw a 13' Scamp in a motel parking lot not to far from my home. I called the 800 number I had written down from the spare tire cover and called. Scamp sent me literature. Unfortunately, not within my budget... but it allowed me to think beyond my first two choices. I actually drove from Portland to Seattle TWICE to look at 13' Bolers that were for sale... and both sold just BEFORE I got there. One, I actually got to see the tail lights as it pulled away from the curb.

I had nearly given up hope (the looking had been going on for several years), when a 16' side-bath Scamp Deluxe came up only 20 minutes from my home. NIRVANA! and as they say... the rest is history...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We loved our '73 LoveBug and had it fixed up very nicely....
Still we longed for a head with a shower... One good look at the custom cabinetry and the larger bed of the 13 Scamp dlxe, made it somewhat easier to part with the beloved LoveBug.
"Eggy-Sue" (the pull-it surprize) was the result, with no regrets, seven years and two days after accepting delivery at the factory.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Years of tent camping on the wet coast made we want a dry place to sleep & I did not want to be wandering around looking for a bathroom at night. Needed to be something my Subaru could pull safely and it had to fit in the carport - it does with 2" to spare.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I choose Scamp for the price and the location of the factory to my home.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
too many wet days and nights one season had me looking around at scamps and such...found this site and all the different ones.....orig tried to find a 16ft uhaul but ended up with the 13...we are happy and use it alot.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
My main reasons for getting my Scamp
1. Got tired of rain and tenting
2. Got tired of cots and tenting
3. Got tired of making food in the rain when tenting.

Why I go my particicular trailer
1. I looked for a year and it was the first one that was within a 2 hour drive with a decent price.
2. It was an older model that would fit in my 7 foot garage door
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...I caught "Fiberglass Fever" from my brother whos had 4 Bolers over the years. My niece said "Does aunty M like camping" and I replied "No"...but willing to try it.
We bought a 13' Boler within an hour of home...went,looked, bought.
After lurking this forum and watching the hatching of the all new Escape 5.0, I was hooked. We found the owners of the latest one in '07 close to Niagara Falls so made a date to go ogle. The next spring we had the good fortune to buy that same trailer& truck combo!!! What a buy!!!
The Fiberglass Gods shone bright for US!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
rope& pole awning.jpg   1st night out!!!.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
We had a 1984 13' Scamp and were looking toward retirement and wanted something a little bigger with a bath. Not sure how I stumbled upon the Casita website, but my original interest was the Liberty because of the king bed option. After seeing one in person and seeing a Spirit, we decided on the Spirit.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
A few years ago a friend recommended a Scamp or Casita so I started the internet search. I found several forums but this one has always been my favorite. Started looking for a 13' and living in NYS you don't see them very often. Well we found a fellow from NYC that had one we made the deal via the phone and he delivered to me in Central NY . He had ordered it with nothing in the front and that's when I started my mods, making a 2 person dinette that could turn into a couch . I got the inspiration from Ken James, he did several of these mods on different trailers. Then I looked for a 13 with a bath, sold it and started looking for a 16 with side dinette. Well sold it and bought a truck camper which was very nice, but we did miss our little trailers. So on June 13th this month we brought home another Scamp 13 my 3rd that I have owned. Its in great shape and won't do to much right now, but I do have some plans in the works. That trailer was only about an hour away which was very nice. This summer we are going to just camp and have some fun.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Both trailers were bought for the dogs.

We needed to take a long trip for family matters at the peak of tourist season in a tourist area. Not too many places will allow something over 70 Lbs. in room. Though we had tent camped for years, the old girl would not set foot into a tent because the floors and walls moved. I discovered FGRV and a boler American, the rest was history. As per Donna D's suggestion I considered it a hard tent on wheels for that trip. We even had to use duct tape to keep the rain out of the hole in the roof.

The old girl died and along came a new pup, she took to camping quite well with her own space on the front bench of the boler. A year later, we got her a brother, and they had personal space issues on the front bench. If they were not sleeping, we could not. So along came the Trillium. The extra width and depth of the front bench is all it took for us to remain happy campers. Personally I think the pups preferred the U-haul VT because they could each have their own front bench. But the humans won out over the space issues in the trailers.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I had a Chevy Van for some 19 years which I had converted into a camper. I traded it in on my Jeep. Then I longed for another camper and had always wanted a trailer. So, after looking for nearly a year for a used fiberglass trailer on the west coast I finally decided to order a new one. I'm glad I did because I got everything I wanted on it which might not have been the case with a used one. I bought a Scamp because of the insulation, weight and cost.

I love My Little Marshmallow.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking Love at 1st sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
First reason, the budget I had to work with. The second reason, the budget I had to work with.
My 1st trailer was a Compact Jr. because it was a gutted out shell that I could get relatively cheap and rebuild. It became pretty much a hard-sided tent with a nice big comfortable bed (We had tent camped before) and room for a porta-potty. A friend I met at another vintage trailer website directed me here to FiberglassRV.

I decided that I really wanted a bathroom with toilet and shower, a kitchen with a 2 or 3-way fridge, and Air Conditioning. While I salivated over ads for a Scamp 16' Side Dinette, it was too expensive to buy one new. While driving around on my rounds for work, I stumbled across the Fiber Stream parked on the street with a For Sale sign in the window.
It had everything I wanted (except for A/C) and a King size bed too!
And the price was affordable!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #20

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our venture into fiberglass came as a result of an inheritance from my grandmother and the desire to help the Lakota on Pine Ridge. I had found this organization that housed volunteers on the Rez for a week, so we decided to stay there and volunteer for a week before heading to Yellowstone on vacation. Hubby got the hotels booked. The closer the date came, the less comfortable I got with the housing arrangements on Pine Ridge (just not enough info online), so I started looking on ebay for popups. I stumbled on the Burro on my ebay search that was near us, so we looked at it through the car auction fence and bid on it (Hubby reminded me of the final few minutes of the bid before it ended; I bid more than he said to. Together, we got it.)

Then, I wanted something that had a bathroom, but I loved the design of our Burro. Lo and behold, someone was discussing the pros and cons of a UHaul VT on ebay. Same shape, bigger size, and a bathroom. I followed the link; it had a buy-it-now. After discussing the trailer for 10 minutes (We were driving to a conference in TX. To pick it up in AK was a just a little out of our way.), we hit the buy-it-now.

This trailer has now taken us back to Pine Ridge several times. We take my university students out there to volunteer. Rather than sleep (???) with the college kids, we stay in our trailer. It serves as a cargo trailer on our way out there too, carrying donations for the Lakota from local folks.

And oh by the way, it has taken us every year since we bought it on our vacation trips too (I like to visit genealogy/historical sites. We are going to a conference and two Rev. War sites where I had ancestors in a week). And the fun rallies we see on this site.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote