Why do you camp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Why do you camp?

I know some people who are avid runners and they use their Egg as a mobile motel room to sleep in while competing at marathons. Others are hikers and once at their destination will take off in the trails. Some of us just go to get away, a change in scenery and to relax.
So what reason do you need or use in order to take your Egg out and use it?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Reasons

There are a number of reasons:

It's a stimulating life style, so much to see and do. In a sense it's overwhelming. It's not singular, we like to hike, visit presidential museums, meet new people with new views, walk new shores, share time together with out the pressure of other's lives (some how that sounds a little selfish but ....)

It's a healthful life style. We're both healthier, by every statistical measure. More important we're menatally healthier, particularly when we're away. It's just us. We only have to focus on our happieness. There's just less pressure.

The rut and the routine is gone. This is not trivial. It seems we spend such a significant percentage of our life doing the routine, sometimes almost mindless acts, driving the same route everyday and not even being aware of the route, sometimes almost robot like.

It's a more organized lifestyle, yet a simpler lifestyle. No starch, no ironing, almost a summer like child life. No thinking about what to wear, or about accumulating more stuff.

It's a low cost way to live, self reliant and satisfying. It definitly has taught us how little we need to survive and how happy we deserve to be. Every morning we wake up looking forward to our day, often not even knowing what adventure we'll have or where we'll stop, simply knowing we're going to have fun.

I often compare RVing to my childhood. In the morning I'd be off to adventure, finding the new and being excited by it, coming home to supper each night with family. Sort of like our 200-250 days a year of travel, returning most summers to be with old friends and family yet always anxious for the next adventure.

Do you think we love it??????

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I know some people who are avid runners and they use their Egg as a mobile motel room to sleep in while competing at marathons. Others are hikers and once at their destination will take off in the trails. Some of us just go to get away, a change in scenery and to relax.
So what reason do you need or use in order to take your Egg out and use it?
We camp at slow pitch baseball tournaments, both for convenience and because it is a lot more fun than a hotel. We camp on vacations and trips to the coast to visit relatives, both for convenience and because it is a lot more fun than a hotel. We camp on weekend trips in our part of Alberta so we can spend time with our friends and the kids (almost grown up now) and take a break from the normal routine, and because it is a lot more fun than a hotel. We love sleeping in the trailer, it is comfortable and reminds me of my grandparents' cottage when I was a kid in the 60s. The trailer also allows us to have our home with us and the stuff we need. We probably don't save much money because of our tendency to go long distances fast, but what the heck. Basically, it is a lot more fun than a hotel.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Being retired, we can take our time, take our stuff with us and be comfortable and in the long run it all equals out as far as costs had we flew, hotel, rent-a-car, etc and last but not least we don't have to worry about picking up any bed bugs.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Ditto everything honda03842 wrote...and we aren't full timers yet. Can't wait for every day to be Saturday and see what this great continent has to offer.

We camp by lakes, rivers, mountain tops and all the while feel as if we are in the middle of LIFE. We kayak....or not...see rural sites...see city cites...and come back to our mobile cabin for a sunset and snooze.

I grew up camping, was a camp counselor at summer camp in high school, our kids grew up camping....see no reason not to grow old camping...just get to do it in a little home on wheels instead of a tent with a gent who has as much of a sense of adventure as I do.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I camp because I'm not home. No ringing phone, no laundry or vacuum 'calling' me, new or different scenery than what I see out my home windows, etc., etc., etc. I wish I could do it more.... sigh.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I camp because I'm not home. No ringing phone, no laundry or vacuum 'calling' me, new or different scenery than what I see out my home windows, etc., etc., etc. I wish I could do it more.... sigh.
X2 DonnaD....we camp just to relax and get away. Try to do some just the 2 of us,but some how we always end up with at least one of our DD's and her family.

Oh well that is part of what camping is all about and they do take their own tent and stuff.

Happy Camping ...Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quiet reading, meeting new friendly people, seeing new places, getting out of the big house and into my teeny little one!! Things just seem so much simpler in a CT13
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #9

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Double ditto to what Donna said. And, I love to poke at the camp fire
Phil
Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
It's all about the woods. Pine trees, lakes, loons...maybe a bear, moose or wolf. Do some paddling, hiking and photography. It just doesn't get any better.
Cheryl C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have summers off from work (school schedule) and summers here are hot. I sure don't want to be cooped up in the house for ten weeks when I could be out viewing scenery, taking pictures, smelling the cedars and pines, and feeling cool breezes. I enjoy being outdoors in good weather, driving, and 3D photography. The trailer enables me to stay out longer and be more comfortable while I do those things.

To me, an RV is a tool... a means to an end.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I got mine for North-South Skirmish and American Single Shot Rifle Association events. When I run ASSRA events at my home club it not only serves as shelter for me but as a stat shack for the event as well.

I'm still hoping to get to the gathering at Cherokee next month so it will be used just for the fun of camping.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We named our VT Howie for "Hotel on Wheels." That is what our camper is to us and how we use it.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
We started family camping back in the 70's as an inexpensive way to travell and enjoy the outdoors. Back then back country canoeing cost $2 per night per canoe and so we could camp with two adults and two kids for under $15 a week. Later a pop-up allowed us to travell farther and visit areas like the East Coast of Canada and down to Florida for $10-$15 a night. Last summer we spent $12-$25 to camp with our trailer throughout Western Canada and almost $50 a night in Ontario. Whether it be by tent, by pop-up trailer or by a fiberglass trailer we have been from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from Alberta High Country and the Mountians of British Columbia to the shores of Florida. We have visited Cape Breton and Nova Scotia in the fog. We have toured the Appalatchian mountans and towns of Virginia and skipped across country to see the Yellowstone and the towns of the Northern States. One day we would love to visit and enjoy the south west of the USA. Not much of this could have happened if we had to motel it.... and think of all the interresting people and new friends that we met along the way.
As a side note both of our children decided to attend university with a forestry major. Just goes to show what a little outdoor activity will do.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #15

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
When the kids were young, we camped quite a lot. In the years since they've been gone from under our roof we've camped very little. But we've travelled extensively with various campers every summer. Have snowbirded since late 1994. We have a 31 ft trailer for that. Since we bought our Egg Camper in the spring we've been on a 5150 mile trip with it, have been camping three times and are going camping today after I get my arm stabbed for an A1c test. My wife wasn't sure we should buy the E.C. but she loves it. Her idea to go today and her idea on where to go. BTW, we hate motels.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I camp because my husband liked to back pack and I told him "no way!" The only way I was going "out" was if I had a potty and a comfortable bed. So twenty three years ago he bought me a trailer and we have RVed ever since.

Now it's what Donna said! Plus we love going to rallies and meeting like minded folks!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #17

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Because it's the BEST RR you can get.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tina 083.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	39923
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
We use our Egg as our mobile vacation home so we can afford to go where we want, when we want, and see, eat, and do pretty much what we want.
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We love the simplicity of camping and campfire cooking. We thoroughly enjoy both the experience of solitude in the woods, and the fellowship of our many camping friends when we camp together.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Plus we love going to rallies and meeting like minded folks!
Right now rallies are our only venues.

We started camping as a road trip alternative to motels. Those establishments represented the Three Bears Home to us playing the role of Goldilocks. Too Hot, Too Cold, Too Hard, Too Soft.

The Fiber Stream is just right.