Why do you go camping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
Trailer: Casita
I go camping because, I like the GREAT outdoors and to explore new areas, of the USA.

What is camping? I take my egg very far out in the boonies.
I have a warm and soft bed.
I have a generator that no one can hear (like there is probably not anyone withing ten miles of me)
I have a refrigerator with a freezer.
I have a microwave.
I have an air conditioner.
I have satellite TV.

Not withstanding the fact that I make a fire and listen to the animals and watch the night sky until I detach from reality twice over, is that camping?

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Why do you go camping?

Cuz, I love it. I try to spend 30 to 40 nights a year camped, either in a wall tent, or in my Casita. I have a son, 27, who easily spends 300 nights a year camping, a month in his 23' Mallard, in a tent, some times in the front seat of his pickup, and many times, he just crawls under it with a good sleeping bag! In fact he is out tonight and won't be back until Saturday.

Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #17
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico

Several have listed some of the reason, I go camping already.
I believe the Number One Reason would be to GO! To see something new, or neat; to see wildlife, wild country and nice drives.
Other reasons: Get some Positive Ions (or is it Negative Ions http://www.health-benefit-of-water.c...tive-ions.html Whatever the ones which make us feel so good), such as in the high country or on a beach; breath some nice air. See neat scenery. Like Paul, I wanted to travel to show my family a little more of the USA and a little of Canada (wanted to see them myself as well). I did not care to be paying all that kind of cash to sleep in someone else's bed. I don't much care for bedbugs; not to mention other people's DNA. I liked being able to take the dog along (kids are gone as is the dog).

To Go, See, Enjoy, Explore, Learn, Relax as well as do some Work to keep water for showers and a place to get rid of the water and at times the other stuff. To having chance at getting a little touch of being Like a Pioneer, ei: back to basics. All with a little bit of home with you.

I know a Pioneer with a whole lot of creature comforts.
All on a reasonable budget to boot!

It is all about: Negative Ions Create Positive Vibes . It is why we GO, to find Positive Vibes and when we do we feel Relaxed.

The Spring Winds will be blowing (have already started) which brings Postive Ions. It is time to find a beach or go into the mountains, maybe camp near a waterfall.
DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
2015 Lance 1985 ~ Casita de Campo ~23' 4"
~Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
I'll interpret this topic is "why/how I use my trailer" and not get into the 'what is camping' topic (also interesting).

1. 'Vacation' to me means outdoors where I can be in nature (a trip to Italy is a lot of fun but no where near as relaxing; it only sort of counts as a real vacation) - but I've gotten too spoiled - I live in the NW and don't want to sleep on the ground and deal with wet tents and sleeping bags ever again.

2. I have 2 big, kind of high maintenance dogs - I can't safely leave them home without spending a ton of money and they don't do well in hotels (scaredy cats). So, it's more practical to bring them and use the trailer when I have to be away from home on non-vacation activities.

3. Camping means truly relaxing - no household chores, no phone calls, no schedule, the routine (well, I still have dog care, and cooking etc) is much less rigid - usually only myself to please. I can return home really refreshed.
Anne H and Fay Wray, the cat | Portland, OR
en Plein Air (2016 19' Escape; 2016 Honda Pilot )
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have always been an outdoors person. I love camping with my trailer. I used to love camping with a pack back but I'm tired of lugging it around and sleeping on the ground.

I have pretty much the same atmosphere at home as camping. I live on the edge of town with acres of open fields behind me and all the wild life I want coming through my yard. But there is just something special about getting away and going camping even with a trailer that has all the comforts of home. Unless I'm traveling on a trip most of those comforts are not necessarily used at all times. I'm talking generator, TV, micro etc.

Then there is something special and wonderful, the smell of an open fire in the evenings. Campfires are simply great even if you have to bundle up to sit out by them. Oh, and did I mention bacon and eggs in the morning!!! Much better than at home. I've never quite figured that out.

Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Trailer: Casita
I go camping because, I like the GREAT outdoors and to explore new areas, of the USA.
I guess this explains it best
Attached Thumbnails
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
For me, it is the dogs...they make staying in motels harder, for one thing.

Second, we can stay on site at some agility trials and that greatly reduces stress on the dogs. (And therefore on me.)

I like to relax and have a warm, comfy place to do it. A tent is not as comfortable and I can't relax as much in a motel because of said dogs (worrying about them barking, etc, and usually leaving one or two in the car.) A trailer is just so cozy and nice to relax in.

I'm not that much of a camper- I like hiking and doing things, but not sitting around at camp, so for me, I'll either go to a gathering that has other people, to an agility trial, or on a road trip, but I'll rarely if ever go camp by myself for no other reason. I'm weird in that I do not like campfires- I learned to love campfire-less backpacking because you end up cleaner and not smelling of smoke, and never went back to liking campfires. (I do like roasting marshmallows, though.)

My plan when I retire is to take a cross-country trip with the trailer. For one, it will force me to slow down and see more of the country than if I were just driving at top speeds, and it will mean I can take the dogs.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Yeah, Ron - in this case a picture IS worth a thousand words! L 'n D
“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” A. Einstein
David & Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 AM   #23
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
We are more "Travelers" than we are "Campers". We seldom go anyplace to "Camp".

We're usually traveling across the country to a 'destination' that has nothing to do with "Camping".
But we take the Casita, because it's our portable living quarters. We don't have the hassle of trying to find a motel that will allow our Chihuahuas. We have a heated (or cooled) place to leave them when we can't take them where we go. We get to sleep in our own bed, use our own bath and enjoy the peace and quiet.

We don't care for Motels anyway.

*Bluegrass festival in Texas, Stay on the grounds. No running back and forth to a motel or restaurant.
*A week in Gatlinburg, TN. The Smoky Mountains, ..shows, shopping etc.
*My sister's house in Moab, UT. She doesn't have a spare bedroom, ... we bring our own.
*My Brother's house in Indianapolis. No spare bedroom, ..... we park in the drive.
*My job used to take me to Ohio for weeks at a time, ... took the Wife and the pups.

Many, many travels where the Casita makes it convenient and less expensive.

But then,...... there's always camping near the beach in Florida, ...... and Frisco. Colorado....and ...........!

We just really like having our little portable Motel.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
Trailer: 19 ft Escape
We, too, tend to think of ourselves more as travellers than campers. The wonderful thing about our trailer is it has taken us places that we would never have visited otherwise. We've taken trips to Whitehorse and Dawson City, Yukon, Fairbanks, Anchorage, and Denali, Alaska, and drove all the way to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Our next wish is to go down the Oregon coast and across Canada from West to East.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #25
Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
For me, it's the people. We have met some great people camping, unremarkable perhaps, but far from ordinary and the vast majority of them we wouldn't have met any other way. It teaches us about our country, and the big country next to us, is a way you can't get from a book or a newspaper. We live in a vacation Mecca for people from all over the world, so not leaving is no hardship, but we go camping as much because of who we meet as what we see.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #26
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Our life runs 90 mph.
Our life camping runs 10 mph.
We enjoy the slower drive
Scamp Owners International
2005 Escape 17-B
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #27
Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
We live in a wonderful mountain community and for 24 years never felt the need to actually take a vacation away from home. Once our children were away from home and married and we'd both retired the open road beckoned. I retired a couple years before Ann and spent a good deal of that time researching fiberglass TT's. Found a suitable one close by, and spent a year making it suit our desires.
We've found we really enjoy being somewhere other than home. Whether it's overnight or 6 weeks on the road. Within 15 or 2000 miles from home. We enjoy the company at rallies, new friends at different campgrounds, & Bluegrass music at the Huck Finn Jubilee in Victorville, Calif. over Father's Day week-end. The 4th of July in Bishop, Calif. or in Missoula, Mont. Spring in the Texas Hill-country or on the Olympic peninsula in Washington. Spending a week exploring Port Townsend- Port Angeles- Poulsbo- Steilacoom with my sister and brother-in-law. Visiting family on the farm surrounded by the rolling green wheat fields of South Eastern Washington.
Sharing the scenery and experiences together and making unforgettable memories..., and coming home to share them again with friends and loved ones.
And sharing a few memories here..., that's why we go camping

Kurt & Ann K.

Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #28
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
I actually bought the camper for the dogs (and me). I wanted a place with heat and air conditioning for them besides the car if I was out and about. Motels are a worry when traveling with dogs, (potty outside, and barking). Not so with a camper. I don't go much because I want to be with others, and most of my friends do not camp. Campfires are a must and motels do not have those. I do find the camper great for dog shows, family reunions, etc.
Once retired, I hope to get brave enough to do some solo camping. I want to travel and see the country from coast to coast.
For now I go close to home with the doggies.
Sitting by the lake with a campfire burning is my idea of camping.

Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote