Why do you go camping? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I go camping because, I like the GREAT outdoors and to explore new areas, of the USA.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tip_o___the_Bruce.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	18424
Hi: All... It's the only way we really relax... No yard work no DIY work... just crafts /campfires /conversation& cooking etc!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
It started many years ago as a Boy scout. Later it was canoeing and fishing with a bunch of buddies. Then it became an expensive way to take the family on a holiday vacation. Now life isn't complete unless we can get away by ourselves and explore this country we live in and there's no better way than with our Boler in tow. It starts some great conversations and brings us new friends where ever we stop to camp.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 1984
Now! Did you really beleive all that??
It's what Alf said,
and the beer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I like to go camping to get out of the city, and back to basics. I enjoy being out side in open spaces, as long as there are not too many people crowding the camp. I prefer going in off seasons just for that reason. It's also fun to have to "rough" it once in a while, gets the creativity flowing.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Yep, beer tastes better while camping for sure.

My preference is actually backcountry camping, whether ski trips, hiking or canoeing. There you can get away from everything. No phones, no computers, no vehicles, nothing. Just you and the great outdoors with nobody else, or very few others, around.

I love car camping also as a getaway. It was great when my kids were little, it is great now too with the grandkids. A very relaxing way to travel and see places. While hotels and motels have their pluses, you have to leave your room any time you need anything, and it often costs a lot of money. Being in a campsite is much, much more relaxing then in a hotel room too, as they are often situated in a great scenic spot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I want to travel, and show my family a little more of Canada.
I ain't paying that kind of cash to sleep in someone else's bed.
I don't much care for bedbugs, and I want to take my pooch along.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Hi: All... It's the only way we really relax... No yard work no DIY work... just crafts /campfires /conversation& cooking etc!!!
Hey Alf

You better watch those etc's. They can get really annoyed if you try to cook them.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
I like to go camping to get out of the city, and back to basics. I enjoy being out side in open spaces, as long as there are not too many people crowding the camp. I prefer going in off seasons just for that reason. It's also fun to have to "rough" it once in a while, gets the creativity flowing.
I have to say about the same... even if its not far away its "away' from home.. not that i live in a big city.. but its the hum drum of everyday routines and looking at the crappy neighbors houses that are not kept up! no phones, no tv, no nothing, but relaxation and fun!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I found this and thought it appropriate:

Top Ten Reasons to Own a Camper

1. Your luggage arrives when you do.
2. Sleep on your own bed linens.
3. Flexible travel plans.
4. A different view out your living room every night.
5. No lines for the rest room.
6. No lines at the airport.
7. Economical and cost effective.
8. Snacks and meals literally on the go.
9. Nap time can be anytime.
10. Getting there is half the fun.

I just really like being outside, waking up with the sun, drinking my tea outside before the chill has burned off the morning. I like the freedom to go where I want, when I want, without having to worry about not having a place to stay. I like the autonomy of my own space. I like the ability to see places I've only dreamed about, places I only vaguely remember from childhood camping trips, and I like trying to recast old memories into my adulthood. I like how I feel when I'm outside, when it's just me and the Scamp (and the cats), when all I hear is wind and water and birds (or cicadas...), because it's easy enough to tune out the human noise around me. I like the possibilities it represents for me, to be perfectly sentimental about it.

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Orlen... Baking in the sun, didn't begin with "C"... but then neither did etc!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
The question might be, why not camp?
Our own, known, clean camper. Our own food (a biggy for me). New vistas, new neighbors, as we like. Killer views without property taxes to go with them... changing with a whim and a drive....
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I like to go camping to get out of the city...
Me Too!
Home is in the "Mid-City" district of the 2nd largest city in California. It has:
  1. Firetrucks with Sirens
  2. Ambulances with Sirens
  3. Low flying Police Helicopters
  4. Barking Dogs
  5. Crowded Street Parking (My Craftsman House was built in 1918, on 1/2 of a City Lot)
  6. Stop signs at every block
  7. Easy Freeway access...
Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Quote:
I found this and thought it appropriate:

Top Ten Reasons to Own a Camper

1. Your luggage arrives when you do.
2. Sleep on your own bed linens.
3. Flexible travel plans.
4. A different view out your living room every night.
5. No lines for the rest room.
6. No lines at the airport.
7. Economical and cost effective.
8. Snacks and meals literally on the go.
9. Nap time can be anytime.
10. Getting there is half the fun.

Karen
LOVED Karen's list, so I had to repost it! hehe
Camping just seems to feel so much more relaxing and comfortable than other forms of travel, though there are times when hotel stays are a bit more appropriate.
I honestly haven't been camping since last summer, and not really camping anyplace new or anything.
I've got a goal to go camping SOON, while everything's still nice and spring green here on the coast. We'll see what happens! hehe
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I go camping because, I like the GREAT outdoors and to explore new areas, of the USA.

What is camping? I take my egg very far out in the boonies.
I have a warm and soft bed.
I have a generator that no one can hear (like there is probably not anyone withing ten miles of me)
I have a refrigerator with a freezer.
I have a microwave.
I have an air conditioner.
I have satellite TV.

Not withstanding the fact that I make a fire and listen to the animals and watch the night sky until I detach from reality twice over, is that camping?
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Quote:
Why do you go camping?

Cuz, I love it. I try to spend 30 to 40 nights a year camped, either in a wall tent, or in my Casita. I have a son, 27, who easily spends 300 nights a year camping, a month in his 23' Mallard, in a tent, some times in the front seat of his pickup, and many times, he just crawls under it with a good sleeping bag! In fact he is out tonight and won't be back until Saturday.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Wink

Several have listed some of the reason, I go camping already.
I believe the Number One Reason would be to GO! To see something new, or neat; to see wildlife, wild country and nice drives.
Other reasons: Get some Positive Ions (or is it Negative Ions http://www.health-benefit-of-water.c...tive-ions.html Whatever the ones which make us feel so good), such as in the high country or on a beach; breath some nice air. See neat scenery. Like Paul, I wanted to travel to show my family a little more of the USA and a little of Canada (wanted to see them myself as well). I did not care to be paying all that kind of cash to sleep in someone else's bed. I don't much care for bedbugs; not to mention other people's DNA. I liked being able to take the dog along (kids are gone as is the dog).

To Go, See, Enjoy, Explore, Learn, Relax as well as do some Work to keep water for showers and a place to get rid of the water and at times the other stuff. To having chance at getting a little touch of being Like a Pioneer, ei: back to basics. All with a little bit of home with you.

I know a Pioneer with a whole lot of creature comforts.
All on a reasonable budget to boot!

It is all about: Negative Ions Create Positive Vibes . It is why we GO, to find Positive Vibes and when we do we feel Relaxed.
http://pages.prodigy.net/unohu/negative.htm

The Spring Winds will be blowing (have already started) which brings Postive Ions. It is time to find a beach or go into the mountains, maybe camp near a waterfall.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I'll interpret this topic is "why/how I use my trailer" and not get into the 'what is camping' topic (also interesting).

1. 'Vacation' to me means outdoors where I can be in nature (a trip to Italy is a lot of fun but no where near as relaxing; it only sort of counts as a real vacation) - but I've gotten too spoiled - I live in the NW and don't want to sleep on the ground and deal with wet tents and sleeping bags ever again.

2. I have 2 big, kind of high maintenance dogs - I can't safely leave them home without spending a ton of money and they don't do well in hotels (scaredy cats). So, it's more practical to bring them and use the trailer when I have to be away from home on non-vacation activities.

3. Camping means truly relaxing - no household chores, no phone calls, no schedule, the routine (well, I still have dog care, and cooking etc) is much less rigid - usually only myself to please. I can return home really refreshed.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have always been an outdoors person. I love camping with my trailer. I used to love camping with a pack back but I'm tired of lugging it around and sleeping on the ground.

I have pretty much the same atmosphere at home as camping. I live on the edge of town with acres of open fields behind me and all the wild life I want coming through my yard. But there is just something special about getting away and going camping even with a trailer that has all the comforts of home. Unless I'm traveling on a trip most of those comforts are not necessarily used at all times. I'm talking generator, TV, micro etc.

Then there is something special and wonderful, the smell of an open fire in the evenings. Campfires are simply great even if you have to bundle up to sit out by them. Oh, and did I mention bacon and eggs in the morning!!! Much better than at home. I've never quite figured that out.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I guess this explains it best
Attached Thumbnails
109725944.NGCngJdx.IMG_0556_4_5xpbase_1_.jpg  
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote