why I went glass - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
Trailer: No Trailer Yet

You know, if anyone is concerned about rivets failing, it doesn't take much effort to DOUBLE the number of original rivets to put half the load on each of them. Rivets through fiberglass are easy to seal if you take your time.

Try doing that on a 'stick built' trailer...

I've spent a lot of time trolling here. Learning all I can before ordering a Scamp 5th wheel, and saving up to try and pay in cash. I keep reading about worries about the rivets. I understand Scamp is good at working with people on what they want in their scamps. Do you think that If I requested it, they would add more rivets? The idea of having more, to add more stability appeals to me more than changing it or modifying it, as I've read some others do.

Opal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
If I'm not mistaken, I think Joe is just gluing the cabinets in place on the new trilliums.. I didn't take a long close look but that's what I remembered thinking...

I know they do this on boats and it seems to hold up well.. I wonder what they use and whether you can do it after the fact...
When I visited the factory, that is what I learned, They glue the upper cabinets and the corner ones before finishing with the insulation etc. They told me the glue holds so good you can do chin-ups on it and not pull it off.

I think in my older Trillium they must be guled as well, I know I have never seen rivets or screws. If it has held for 31 years, that seems impressive.

brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I had a couple of funny "why I went glass" experiences last night. My apologies to my neighbours if you are reading this, I am not making fun of you, really.

Wanting to pull my little egg out of it's cocoon near the fence so I could take some pictures for the potential buyer, of course I just wheeled it (by hand) to where I wanted it. This was easy to do with the handy dandy wheel I added to the jack stand. You all know what I'm talking about.

Then I wanted to get it back up onto its concrete wheel pads, but was just a little afraid of letting go and having it back into my neighbour’s Acura beside me, so I went to ask for help from another neighbour (not Acura guy). The Mrs. Bulgemobile was home, but Mr. was away, so she said she would send him over when he got back.

In the meantime, I am out cleaning the egg out and another neighbour walking by (also a bulgemobile owner) stopped to chat. He ended up taking a tour and couldn’t believe how clean the unit is and that 4 people could sleep in there. I asked if he would mind giving me a hand lifting it onto the blocks. He didn’t understand at first (silly me, assuming that people knew how light these are). Once I explained, he still looked a bit in disbelief, but lent a hand. What a shocked look! He couldn’t believe it could be done that easily! Acura guy looking nervously out his window

Fastforward to later in the evening. Mr. Bulgemobile comes over, flashlight in hand to check out the ball size needed to pull the trailer forward… That just goes to show how people don’t understand what a lightweight trailer really is.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #18
Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Do you think that If I requested it, they would add more rivets? The idea of having more, to add more stability appeals to me more than changing it or modifying it, as I've read some others do.
Seems to me that more rivets = more potential leaks.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #19
Trailer: Casita
I am quite convinced that rivets are an economic trade-off. The whole concept of "flexibility" so that the rivets "pop" (after all they *are* called "pop" rivets for a reason) is simply an economic way to do it. It is not the best way in my opinion.

If I was the Casita or Scamp Engineer and I didn't have to answer to anyone about costs I would "tape" the cabinets to the egg shell using 3M VHB (very high bond) tape. I know some of you will guffa a bit but unless you have used this stuff in industry you would probably think of it as two way carpet tape... which it is not at all. I have used this tape to bond together two 1500lb panels of fiberglass that were used for carbon fiber molds for soaring planes.

This tape is pretty expensive and assembly would be slow and tedious.

But... if the world was...

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #20
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

3M VHB (very high bond) tape.
I know some of you will guffaw a bit but unless you have used this stuff...
Small bits of that stuff are used in Thumb Lock Grips. Excellent adhesive!
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:23 AM   #21
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Do you think that If I requested it, they would add more rivets?
Probably not, but you could always ask. All the cabinets have "tabs" which the rivet fits into and then through the fiberglass. They'd need to add more "tabs" too... but asking certainly doesn't cost anything.

If rivets in a 5th wheel are a major concern... buy an Escape. No outside rivets
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #22
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
First, I'd like to point out that on just about any specialty internet group, one will read more about what goes wrong than what goes right, and the wrong stuf may be totally disproportionate to the number of things and users out there. Try any auto group and you will read more about paint failures than you will about how nicely they shine up...

Rivets and axles are in that classification. I think I have had four failed rivets, two of which were there when I bought the trailer used, and I don't know how many tens of thousands of miles I have dragged the poor thing in the six years I lived full-time in it. It's been across the US three times, and been from Florida to Newfoundland to Alaska. Many of those miles have been on really bad roads and it's been stuck in sand and mud.

That said, Scamp will work with you on just about anything, which can't be said of some RV manfs. Ask them to give you an estimate, so you can make an informed decision.

Personally, I would just do the standard route and then if rivets fail, double up around the failed points (not rocket science to add rivets), but I am a DIY guy.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote