Why is it???? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Because I'm a newbie and have A LOT to learn, I frequent several websites devoted to fiberglass trailers. It's pretty rare (if ever) I've seen rude remarks towards others posted on this website. This is not the case with all sites. Once again, tonight I saw rude comments directed toward others on another website. Everytime it happens I think to myself it's the last time I've visiting that site, but in a few days I break down and go back. I'll tell you though, it's very rare for me to post on a site other than this one. I don't feel like I'll be jumped on here, even if my questions is stupid. It scares me to post anywhere else! So I have to wonder, why is it people are easier to get along with on FGRV???? Or is a moderator going in and deleting rude posts before I ever see them????? Thanks to all of you for the education I'm receiving!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Lisa M, it is human nature to want to be right all the time and some people have closed minds to all other ideas and if you happen to disagree your an "Idiot" and do not know what your talking about.
I've been on this site for some time now and there are a few who try to make you see it thier way every time but you get to know these people and take that bad with the good.
It's not as if these people do not have the right answers to the Questions people ask but (even me) want to hear the answer we Want to hear.
So it is a loosing battle.
I try to live by a motto I made up as a forman in a factory way back.
"God gave me 2 eyes and 2 ears, and only one mouth.....listen and look twice as much as you speak"
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Lisa, I'm with you. I think we have a great group of people around here. For one thing, we have a pretty broad base of great people with a wide range and level of knowledge. Many of us remember what it was like to be a newbie so we welcome those questions. The other thing is that with our varied group of brands and ages of trailers, sometimes there is no absolute answer and we realize that. There are generalities that we have in common, but we are all open to learning new things.

Occasionally, we get someone that thinks we all need to be straigntened out or that they know better, but they are short lived. As members, we all help set the tone of the website. With that in mind, our webguy has a wonderful moderating crew that help it stay a peaceful and wonderful place to visit.

Thanks for noticing.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Hi Lisa, somewhat newbie here also... The forum does feels quite cozy, and there seems to be a good deal of maturity and experience here as opposed to some other boards I have been following. I think it may have something to do with the "egg culture", and this forum feels very much like one, i.e. quaint, cozy, durable, dependable, unpretentious. And this one's well maintained, too. It has a solid shell, a good furnace, and a great tow vehicle.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The moderators won't say it, but their (substantial) work is the key to a civilized forum. I participate in a few other forums, with varying levels of monitoring and control by moderators, and the difference is noticeable.

I believe that when venturing into forums for interests other than our trailers, the different areas of interest leads to different member groups, and somewhat predictable changes in style. Check out a forums for the some types of cars, and the tone of the content can be a bit alarming; in contrast, we have a generally relatively mature (in both years and/or personality) crowd here. I expect that I would enjoy meeting most FiberglassRV members in person; I can't say the same for at least one other trailer forum.

The effect of the lack of single-brand focus which Suz mentioned makes sense to me; certainly, there is another brand-specific fiberglass trailer forum in which - despite the presence of a moderator - to utter a dissenting opinion would bring the wrath of some other members.

Quote:
"God gave me 2 eyes and 2 ears, and only one mouth.....listen and look twice as much as you speak"
Priceless!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi lisa
Yes the Moderators do a lot of work to help keep this site in order. No they are not overbearing, just over zealous at times.
There are two prime directives that help contribute to the feeling of pleasansness.
1] Do not post relegious topic material
2] Do not post political material
I also like to post with a little tongue-in-cheek attitude. You know, the KISS system. Keep it simple Silly.
If your post is totaly improper some nameless God will delete it
This is a nameless god who we don't even talk about, much less mention his name
And this will be me if I keep going
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi lisa
Yes the Moderators do a lot of work to help keep this site in order. No they are not overbearing, just over zealous at times.
There are two prime directives that help contribute to the feeling of pleasansness.
1] Do not post relegious topic material
2] Do not post political material
I also like to post with a little tongue-in-cheek attitude. You know, the KISS system. Keep it simple Silly.
If your post is totaly improper some nameless God will delete it
And this will be me if I keep going
Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Ya know when you are buying a new car and your sales person says "Oh, I don't think I can go that low. I'll have to ask about that" and then he disappears for an hour into some dark back place were he magically finds out he CAN go that low?

I used to think it was the Great Oz he was going to see.. The Great OZ that would kindly allow me to eat AND make my car payments...

but since I have been a mod, now I REALLY know who it is.

No, I can't tell you..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via AIM to Robert Brummett Send a message via MSN to Robert Brummett Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Brummett
Oh, Gina— do you think we are idiots?

It's the SALES MANAGER!
Robert Brummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #10

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
that's what i've been missing when i read posts on this site... the in-fighting & bickering... :
i'm a member on a couple other sites, & moderator on one... religious/political topics are the cause of most of it...
the other thing about this site is the "for sale" section is well managed... i've seen bad transactions cause a lot of strife & resentment...

i think mostly it's the campsite mentality of this site... the purpose of this site is recreation, so it's like vacationing just to be here... why would you want stress when you're on vacation...?
--- steven
steven jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gina D... "The great Oz" Thats a good one. I've heard it called many things before... The great "White Telephone"... and measuring the "American Standard" are just a few!!! but I was a used car salesman and I know " He goes out for a
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it's NOT the sales manager... thats what "They" want you to believe....

It's a god that can turn a loss into a profit, cause every time the sale person comes back he says, "OK, but we are not making any money on this one".

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1984
The last time a salesman went "to check" and came back with a MUCH lower figure, I said " Oh! You really Don't want to trade, do you?" and left. Got a better deal down the street.
I know that it's part of their training, BUT, I hope he realized how much $$ he lost because of that smoke.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote