Why No RV Shows/Dealers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Actually Casita does have a dealer. They just happens to be in Japan. They also do RV shows over there.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #22

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Comparing an RV industry that potentially makes upwards of 200,000 units a year and tries to sell them through a dealership network with the FGRV group which combined barely makes <1% that number of units seems a bit odd.

Mom and pop indeed.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Fiberglass trailers are made, for the most part, to your specifications. Example: Scamp will sell you an empty trailer if you want, or a fully loaded one or one anywhere in between. In other words, they are personalized to what you want.

You won't see that on a lot at an RV Dealer.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #24

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
I have wondered whether, with the high demand creating waiting lists for MFG (molded fiberglass) trailers, it would not be possible for a manufacturer like Casita (to name just one) to add more capacity and ramp production up to a higher level. If you can sell 700 a year (to quote a number I heard somewhere), why not 1,400? Or 14,000?

In another thread it was suggested that the very nature of fiberglass molding, requiring a lot of hands-on work, militated against high-volume production. Is this true, even in the age of robotics? If so, then one reason for small, factory-direct companies is that MFG campers are a product that requires craftsmanship more than a production line.

Does anyone here know how the MFG boat industry works? Are they also limited to the small, factory-direct business model? On the face of it, I would expect a lot of parallels.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #25

Michigan
In chatting with some members of the family, and yes, these are largely small family owned businesses, this matter comes up.

First, there seems to be some certain size of the business, a certain number of employees that classifies a business and places it under a certain set of laws. Let's say it is 50. If that is so, both Casita and Evelands (Scamp) are just at that number and are quite unwilling, for a host of reasons perhaps, to take the next step.

It may well be that the next step would require new facilities and capital investment that may not be deemed wise. The businesses are a success and stable from all appearances. Family owned businesses sometimes do not wish to be any bigger. There is family life, church, and other quality of life interests that getting any larger isn't always seen as a goal to be achieved.

The long waiting lists aren't always so. During times of sudden economic downturns, these backlogs disappear quickly. Small, family owned businesses are reticent to layoff people who are their friends and neighbors. It's small town, family business values.

If there is untapped market share that some other company wishes to take from Evelands and Casita? Let them have at it. There's probably room but there are no assurances of success. Look how many name plates have come and gone. Just some thoughts to ponder. It's easy to project as an outsider upon another family's busines model. We cannot always be sure we're correct in our viewpoints. We are not privy to the inner workings and thoughs and we're not entitled to be.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
What would FGRV owners do if the FG manufacturers didn't have the other RV service departments available to prop them up with their warranty (and other) service?

They would do the same thing a car owner who does not like to have their cars serviced at the dealer does. Take it to an independent repair shop

There are **lots** of RV repair shops around that do not sell any trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #27

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
There is a nearby Bigfoot (I really want to say Largefoot) dealer who seems to inventory one travel trailer and four or six campers most of the time. I never asked but presumed that where I live the market for campers is larger than for trailers.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #28

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
What are you calling a camper?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #29

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
What are you calling a camper?
e.g. Truck Campers - Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #30

SW Virginia
Thanks. I wasn't familiar with that terminology. A lot of non-RVers call our trailers campers.

Walt
Old 07-17-2016, 05:49 AM   #31

Michigan
Quote:
Thanks. I wasn't familiar with that terminology. A lot of non-RVers call our trailers campers.

Walt
Walt, What are you calling an RV?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:56 AM   #32

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
Walt, What are you calling an RV?
I guess any upgrade from a tent I can think of that is road worthy. Not sure there's an official definition.

Walt
Old 07-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #33

Michigan
Quote:
I guess any upgrade from a tent I can think of that is road worthy. Not sure there's an official definition.

Walt
I agree. What I was getting at, I suppose, is the calling only motorhomes RV's. That too is a somtimes thing we hear. The terms are pretty fluid. Some places tent trailers are called pop ups and other places fold-down trailers. Never did seem to be a uniform term for those either.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Kingdom: Land vehicle
Phylum: Highway vehicle
Class: Recreational vehicle
Order: Towable recreational vehicle
Family: Travel trailer
Genus: Molded fiberglass travel trailer
Species: Scamp 13
Sub-species: Standard Layout 1
Common name: Camper

A rare bird indeed!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #35

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
In chatting with some members of the family, and yes, these are largely small family owned businesses, this matter comes up.

First, there seems to be some certain size of the business, a certain number of employees that classifies a business and places it under a certain set of laws. Let's say it is 50. If that is so, both Casita and Evelands (Scamp) are just at that number and are quite unwilling, for a host of reasons perhaps, to take the next step.

It may well be that the next step would require new facilities and capital investment that may not be deemed wise. The businesses are a success and stable from all appearances. Family owned businesses sometimes do not wish to be any bigger. There is family life, church, and other quality of life interests that getting any larger isn't always seen as a goal to be achieved.

The long waiting lists aren't always so. During times of sudden economic downturns, these backlogs disappear quickly. Small, family owned businesses are reticent to layoff people who are their friends and neighbors. It's small town, family business values.

If there is untapped market share that some other company wishes to take from Evelands and Casita? Let them have at it. There's probably room but there are no assurances of success. Look how many name plates have come and gone. Just some thoughts to ponder. It's easy to project as an outsider upon another family's busines model. We cannot always be sure we're correct in our viewpoints. We are not privy to the inner workings and thoughs and we're not entitled to be.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #36

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Kingdom: Land vehicle
Phylum: Highway vehicle
Class: Recreational vehicle
Order: Towable recreational vehicle
Family: Travel trailer
Genus: Molded fiberglass travel trailer
Species: Scamp 13
Sub species: Standard Layout 1
Common name: Camper

A rare bird indeed!
That's who we need on this forum - Carolus Linnaeus of travel trailers!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:41 AM   #37

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Well done!

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #38

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
Kind of begs the question: why do RV manufacturers have dealers at all? Why don't they all just sell direct? What would FGRV owners do if the FG manufacturers didn't have the other RV service departments available to prop them up with their warranty (and other) service?
I'm wondering, after a day's reflection, whether the real question is why the big players haven't ventured into all-molded fiberglass construction. The dealer distribution model requires significant economies of scale to create margin for middlemen. I'm wondering whether it's even possible or practical to mass produce a moderately-priced, mass-market, all-molded fiberglass trailer. I'm wondering if enough people would recognize the value in a smaller-yet-more-expensive fiberglass trailer sitting on a lot full of conventional trailers. I'm wondering whether the big players have already considered, and rejected, the concept.

Currently, the Airstream division of Thor Industries is preparing to roll out the Nest, a molded fiberglass design created by FGRV member and veteran rehabber Robert Johans. It will be distributed through Airstream dealers, presumably. But it looks to be high-end, limited production, and expensive.

The good news is I may be able to walk into an Airstream dealer or an RV show to look at one. The bad news is I won't be able to afford one!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #39

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
What Robert Johans did could be considered a business model in its own right. Develop something of value, build prototypes and sell out. This has been done in other industries all along. I hope he got a great deal from Airstream.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #40

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I debated whether to latinize all the classifications, as in Ovum Scampae, but decided not to be a snob…