Why No RV Shows/Dealers? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #41

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I debated whether to latinize all the classifications, but decided not to be a snob…
Why not. Carl von Linne, or just Carl Linne seemed too short and pedestrian to me. And I remember that we are sometimes asked to keep the level of discourse on a higher level here.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #42

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
I say thank god there are no dealers for FGRV's, and for good reasons above and beyond what was already said. The structure and makeup of fiberglass shell is pretty solid state. The problems we tend to deal with are the off the shelf components like AC, furnaces, ranges, water systems, etc, not the RV itself. We can either fix ourselves or go to most any RV place to get stuff done. Most of our trailers are on the small end with low profit margins to begin with and maybe even tend towards customers with shallow pockets. Dealers would just kill our ability to get into affordable price ranges with markups.

There are few changes I would want to see in FGRV's and marketing is not one of them. Maybe one or two more manufacturers for a little more choice. Owning both a Scamp and Casita I personally think Scamp needs to revamp their design. Great trailers but the beds are too small and the floor should be a full mold like the Casita, plus, the axle is a bit too centered, tire size too small. The one foot longer in the Casita 17 Makes all the difference in my opinion. And if not a longer trailer, just a bigger main bed somehow but where in that size, the Scamp 16, and keeping the weight down for smaller tow vehicles, likely impossible? For better choices I hope Scamp wakes up and engineers a new design, I think it's long past time for a updated change to make them a viable choice. I had zero complaints about owning a Scamp except in the design.

Outside of FGRV's, the RV dealers are selling what appear to be large cardboard boxes with lots of problems that last only a dozen years or so. We may need dealers for standard RV's or illegal drugs, but please, not for fiberglass campers.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #43

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Kingdom: Land vehicle
Phylum: Highway vehicle
Class: Recreational vehicle
Order: Towable recreational vehicle
Family: Travel trailer
Genus: Molded fiberglass travel trailer
Species: Scamp 13
Sub-species: Standard Layout 1
Common name: Camper

A rare bird indeed!
I started to warn you that taxonomists can be confused with taxmen. While checking my spelling I found https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/t...RCH_KO0,10.htm
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
I started to warn you that taxonomists can be confused with taxmen. While checking my spelling I found https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/t...RCH_KO0,10.htm
Clearly I am underpaid…

On the other hand if I get the raise I deserve, the tax man will take most of it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #45

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
More choice is always welcome of course, but consider in recent years
Escape
Oliver
Parkliner
Li'l Snoozy
Happier Camper
Eggcamper
Pretty good record I'd say, and quite a bit of variety and quality there.

Walt
Old 07-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #46

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Thanks!

Walt, I didn't know that! I will add those to my list to look at. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Glenn and Raz have pegged it, but Bigfoot and Trillium do have a small number of dealers.

Walt
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #47

Illinois
Great detail!

All the things I'm learning from this thread! I didn't know you could take it back to the manufacturer and have the specs brought up to current standards. That's fantastic!

Quote:
Glenn and Raz have pegged it, but Bigfoot and Trillium do have a small number of dealers.

Walt
Quote:
Actually that's one of the cool things I've seen happen with direct sales model. If you want you can take your, say, ten year old Scamp back to the factory for an overhaul and upgrades to factory standards. From the reports I've read, the cost (travel aside) compares very favorably with having work done at a shop.

Ten years... that's about the time most conventional RVs are falling apart and a dealer will be happy to take it on trade for a new one... for pennies on the dollar. The conventional RV industry is essentially selling a throw-away product.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #48

Illinois
This cracked me up.

Ha. I've always meant to travel to Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
Actually Casita does have a dealer. They just happens to be in Japan. They also do RV shows over there.
Save
Old 07-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #49

Illinois
Thank you all!

I'm still learning how to use these boards. I would have "liked" all your posts if I could. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your insights and opinions. It's been fantastic reading through everything.

I'm going camping (tent) this weekend and am excited to see if there are any FG campers/trailers/eggs at the campground I could perhaps approach.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:29 AM   #50

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Scamp actually does one show each year. Its the Minnesota state fair in St. Paul. Thousands of folks get to see the trailers up close.

Still, doing shows is horribly expensive and your employees hate them (long, hot, days on your feet).

I used to sell my toys at Art Fairs which were much more fun than RV shows, but I was happy with the creation of the internet. Each fair cost me about $2000. So much easier to stay home out of the rain and sun and let the customer call me. I used the savings to help send my kids to college. Perhaps FGRV manufacturers feel the same.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #51

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

I am supposed to be working from home today, but I am behind due to slowly drinking my coffee and reading this particularly informative and sometime humorous thread! Jon, love your Scamp classifcation system!

This is our first year to own/travel/camp/RV with our new to us Casita. I am a huge fan of FG trailers. It will be interesting to see if Laura and I keep our Casita until retirement (or beyond). I can't imagine owning any towable other than a FG trailer. At some point grandkids and/or retirement may have us looking at an Escape 19 or 21 or a Bigfoot 21 or 25. If grand kids are not an issue, we only live 2.5 hours from the Oliver plant. I might spell retirement: O-L-I-V-E-R.

Until then, lovin' the Casita, this forum, and this thread. Hmm, maybe one more cup of coffee, a little more forum reading, then I will work from home!

Good day to all!

Dean

P.S. - Gonna take a 4 day weekend to Casita camp. Going to be brutally hot. This will be our first trip in truly HOT weather. Everything is an experiment this first year!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #52

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Simple answer is it's a small family owned business comprised of older people that have been there for years and the people who run it have been doing it for years and are stuck in their ways.

Sure they could build a bigger facility, automate alot of production, put out 5x the amount of trailers at a lower cost but that's the new age business model. And the fact that it would take alot of money they don't have to do something like that.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #53

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
Simple answer is it's a small family owned business comprised of older people that have been there for years and the people who run it have been doing it for years and are stuck in their ways...
Wonder who "it" is... sounds like my kind of business!

I will say this though... please don't make it about age. Innovative or time-tested, large corporation or small family business, it's about design philosophy and business values, not how many candles are on your cake!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #54

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I think Rob was talking about Scamp, but it's a good description of Casita as well.
And let's face it: both have a record of success for well over 30 years.

Walt
Old 07-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #55

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I kind of like the way things are with FBRV with respect to it being a very small percentage of the rv market, keeps our rv in the unusual and unique category and also helps resale values, maybe not so good for the buyers looking for a deal though...most of them also probably share the philosophy if it aint broke don't fix it...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 AM   #56

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
More choice is always welcome of course, but consider in recent years
Escape
Oliver
Parkliner
Li'l Snoozy
Happier Camper
Eggcamper
Pretty good record I'd say, and quite a bit of variety and quality there.

Walt
I think you can add Armadillo Trailer Manufacturing in BC to that list.

And, please don't tell our Casita that I've been looking at other trailers. (Someone once said that men don't really ever stop looking until they die.)

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #57

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I think you can add Armadillo Trailer Manufacturing in BC to that list.

And, please don't tell our Casita that I've been looking at other trailers. (Someone once said that men don't really ever stop looking until they die.)
A new one! Looks like just a 13' model for now. Here's their website:

armadillo trailer manufacturing

And how about this?

Quote:
The Armadillo recreational trailer is made from the same molds that produced the legendary Boler and L'il Bigfoot trailers. These molds have been out of production in Canada for many years but have now been rescued, repaired, altered and improved. . .
There must be a story here. If it's been discussed here before, any links? Maybe a topic for a new thread?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #58

Arizona
Registry
Why No RV Shows/Dealers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
...There must be a story here. If it's been discussed here before, any links?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...llo-67441.html

Semi-custom, very limited production, expensive.

No one, apparently, wants to go toe-to-toe against Scamp.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #59

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Don't forget the Relic! Would have to buy new though, most likely.

Mon

Relic Custom Trailers | Build Your Dream VIntage Trailer
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #60

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Don't forget the Relic! Would have to buy new though...
Quote:
Semi-custom, very limited production, expensive.