Why not solar power?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #41

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Thanks for all of the replies. Now questions...

I will want to have AC and heat - I could see not needing the AC and heat until bedtime, but would need both as I plan on camping in all seasons, and maybe heat thru the day on some occasions . From what I am reading, solar only will probably not run AC and heater overnight. It appears that most use solar for energy source for appliances/devices that require little power or short term use. So big power needs for AC and heat and frig will require a combination of solar/ propane/generator if I am camping off grid, which I intend. UNLESS I have a big solar operation like the one shown above, which looks expensive, but would love the marguaritas.

And I get lost in the engineering jargon as well.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #42

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Unless you are camping where the sun is up at night, you will be dependent on battery storage to run that A/C at night and, just as a guess, I doubt if there is a trailer big enough to carry that much weight, much less have enough panel area to support the batteries during the day. Ferget A/C and solar power, they are mutually exclusive terms.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #43

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Our Scamp has full electric already. I'm going to install a "reasonable" solar system. When it is too hot or too cold, we'll just go where we can plug in. I'm in Minnesota.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #44

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Mark, I run the propane furnace as needed, and a 12 volt only danfoss style compressor refrigerator 24/7 for 5 months at a time, as well as LED lights, TV, laptop computer, e-reader, phones, radio, and crock-pot, all off a battery charged with a fixed position 200 watt solar set-up. I haven't tried to run the microwave, but probably could for warming up leftovers & coffee, but AC would be out of the question, requiring me to run our Yamaha 2000i generator (have never used it yet, but it is there if needed).
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #45

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
We just left Grand Canyon after 5 nights with temps of 65 day and 30 night. Furnace, water pump and LED lights all relied on battery power. A 100 watt solar panel kept our group 31 battery topped off each day despite partial shade and short Winter days. Battery voltage never dropped below 12.4 volts and was back to over 13 by 3 PM each day. We couldn't be more pleased to be able to use such beautiful non-electric campgrounds for extended stays. We could have stayed about 2 weeks before our single propane cylinder would give out, though they do exchange them at the park's general store. Solar panel and charge controller were less than $200.00. Campground cost was $7.00 per night with a geezer pass. We also had daily visits by a dozen elk and a few 10 point mule deer.

BTW Grand Canyon is worthy of every superlative you have ever heard and especially nice without Summertime crowds.

Cheers, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #46

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
In theory, If you had about 2000 watts of solar, and an equally large inverter, you could run a 10000 btu air conditioner, during the day. It is approximately 10 btu/watt, so I am assuming 50% of capacity output.

2000 watts of solar would require lots of space, and a tracking array would probably also be a good idea. The cost would be astronomical. Think $3 / watt, plus the inverter, and batteries, (for some night time cooling). $10000 for the system might be a bit high, or not. The set up and tear down would also be a pain. This would likely be twenty 100W panels. Not impossible, just impractical.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #47

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I carry my yamaha ef2400i for air conditioning on humid nights. Now last year I didn't run it once all summer because the weather was amazing... so I have high hopes for this summer. Now heat, 3 nights of running it and with my solar panel it was still around 12.8v or so in the morning....so solar is working ok for my heater, If I lived full time in my ParkLiner I would look for a more energy efficient (electrical) heater to guarantee sufficient power.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. Now questions...

I will want to have AC and heat - I could see not needing the AC and heat until bedtime, but would need both as I plan on camping in all seasons, and maybe heat thru the day on some occasions . From what I am reading, solar only will probably not run AC and heater overnight. It appears that most use solar for energy source for appliances/devices that require little power or short term use. So big power needs for AC and heat and frig will require a combination of solar/ propane/generator if I am camping off grid, which I intend. UNLESS I have a big solar operation like the one shown above, which looks expensive, but would love the marguaritas.

]
A lot depends on where it is you plan to camp all four seasons. I have camped without any battery issues through all four seasons with just a 30 watt solar panel.

Lights all LED, fridge on propane and running the furnace just before bed and first thing in the morning and set low so it only cycles on a few times in the night - but thats wintering in S. Cal and S. Arizona. When the weather is cold enough that the heater is needed on a lot then its time to head south. In the summer months I would never camp in the middle of the summer in an area such as Florida for example were the temps are high no matter where you are. I tend to head to higher ground or out to where their is a good ocean breeze in the summer time. Having said that I do every summer spend at least a week or more out camping in 100+ days without hook ups - its hard to avoid - a fantastic fan works pretty well at cooling the trailer down at night and not to unliveable if your only doing it for a few days a year. If its really stinking hot for more than a few days then I would look for a hook ups in a state park so as to be able to run the AC.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #49

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Some locations are better for solar than others...
Attached Thumbnails
P1000072.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 AM   #50

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
One other fact I've learned is that the 100w panel puts, at most, 67 watts into my battery.

I'm no expert, like most here I got my degree at Google U, but I think the main reason I get 67 not 100w is that the panel puts out 100w (5.7 amps at something like 18.5 v) and 25 degree C. My xantrex controller (not MPPT by the way) cuts that to 13.2 to 14.2 volts depending on battery state of charge. 5.7 times 14 is 80 w. The max I've seen on my BVM energy meter is 5.1 a at 13.2 v. That's 67 w.

I have 50' of 10 gage wire and two sets of connectors between the panel and the controller. I'm assuming the wiring and the controller resistance account for most of the loss between 80w and 67 watts. A black pv cell in the full sun is surely hotter than 25C. That reduces the output too.

I didn't get an MPPT controller because Google told me it would not produce very much extra power for the extra cost. The Xantrex unit let me adjust the three stage charging voltages to exactly what Trojan recommended.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #51

Name: Cindy
Trailer: researching
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Thanks, but I can't take credit for any engineering. They had a system already developed thanks to previous Ollie customers.

I'll have 400 amp hours available. If I don't run the air conditioner, I can see not really needing a 110v hookup.

Wait...are you saying you CAN run the AC with this set up they are offering from Ollie?
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #52

Arizona
To those of you who carry the generators for the AC and battery charging....where do you carry the generator?

If you are carrying it inside your tow vehicle...does it get stinky like gas in there?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #53

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A lot depends on where it is you plan to camp all four seasons. I have camped without any battery issues through all four seasons with just a 30 watt solar panel.

Lights all LED, fridge on propane and running the furnace just before bed and first thing in the morning and set low so it only cycles on a few times in the night - but thats wintering in S. Cal and S. Arizona. When the weather is cold enough that the heater is needed on a lot then its time to head south. In the summer months I would never camp in the middle of the summer in an area such as Florida for example were the temps are high no matter where you are. I tend to head to higher ground or out to where their is a good ocean breeze in the summer time. Having said that I do every summer spend at least a week or more out camping in 100+ days without hook ups - its hard to avoid - a fantastic fan works pretty well at cooling the trailer down at night and not to unliveable if your only doing it for a few days a year. If its really stinking hot for more than a few days then I would look for a hook ups in a state park so as to be able to run the AC.
This is the issue I'm trying to get at...when you DO run your AC and it's over 100 out...how many degrees lower does the AC actually get the temp down inside compared to the outside? And have you ever had it freeze up on you? Even after several days in a row?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post
To those of you who carry the generators for the AC and battery charging....where do you carry the generator?

If you are carrying it inside your tow vehicle...does it get stinky like gas in there?
I don't have air, but I do have a generator ( Honda 1000 ). I carry it in the aisle, inside the trailer, moving it forward or back to adjust tongue weight. The gas cap has a vent that can be opened when in use and shut when you're not using it. I've had no issues with fumes.
At camp, the genset goes in the tow vehicle, when not in use.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #55

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Quote:
Wait...are you saying you CAN run the AC with this set up they are offering from Ollie?

No. The inverter does not power the air conditioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 PM   #56

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
I think it all comes down to a few considerations:

1. What sort of camping do you like to do and for how long at a stretch? If you plan on camping somewhere without hook-ups for more than just a few days, then solar might be a good idea. If you always camp where you'll have hook-ups or will only be in a place for a few days, then solar might not be very useful.

2. Are you a summer-only camper or do you like to camp in all seasons? Do you need/want AC and/or a furnace? A solar panel won't run an air conditioner but it will keep the battery charged up to run the fan on your furnace.

3. How sensitive are you to noise? Can you deal with a generator, no matter how quiet it may be or would that noise drive you or your neighbors crazy? Will a generator be allowed where you want to camp and at the times you want to use it?

I think these are questions anyone might want to consider to help them decide whether or not solar is right for their situation.

We have a 100W movable panel that has served us well. If it's hot, we can position the trailer in the shade and the panel in the sun. We like to camp where there are no hook-ups quite a bit of the time. We camp in three seasons and often appreciate being able to run our furnace and not draw the battery down. We don't like to listen to generators even though they are more quiet than they used to be. So for us, solar made sense. For other folks it may not.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #57

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:

As Glen mentioned, look for a generator with the vent on/off lever on the gas cap. I know many that haul theirs in the trailer and have no issues. Having a pickup mine rides in there.

Rarely use the generator, only if we sit in one spot for more then 5 days with no hookups (have 2 batteries), and that before going solar. Have not used it since getting solar. Of course we haven't sat in one spot for more then 5 days since we got solar. If I need to run the air I'd look for hookups.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #58

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
To Solarize, Or not to Solarize...

I have found this thread very informative! I started by doing a search for "Charger" because I was/am looking for input on charging my battery. My past experience with solar is installing them on buoys while I was in the USCG. We soon learned how the shadow of a seagull lowered the output, let alone two inches of guano! My plan is to camp in the woods so perhaps solar might not be right for me. I recently rewired my 13' Scamp and I am only running LED lighting on the 12v system. I have gone from the 4 flat to the 7 blade hook up so my TV can charge the battery on the way to camp and the trip back. By far, the majority of my camping will be 2 or 3 day weekends. What I am gathering from this thread is I may not even "need" an AC charger at all.
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #59

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If you have a small Honda or Yamaha gen set the fuel vent shut off will prevent any fume issues when transporting a generator but other issues should be considered. If a unit tips over the breather and air filter will get saturated with engine oil and the unit will not run until the mess is cleaned up and a new air filter is installed. In a dusty climate I personally would change engine oil every 25 hours. If I was in the desert I would change oil very frequently. If I was using a generator 3 to 4 hours a day I would change oil onc a week. These units have very small crankcases and with clean oil and clean air will have a much longer life. If I was traveling with a small generator I would carry it in a way that it could not tip over and I would also carry extra air filters and engine oil.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #60

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Unless the generator runs out of gas, I always use the fuel shut off switch on my Yamaha ef2400 andlet it run dry. While traveling it sits in the doorway of my ParkLiner. Fits in their nicely and with the rubber pads on the bottom it really has no room to move around. When I get to the campsite, it gets chained to my tongue and I have a dark green sunbrella cover I made for it to keep it protected and it's not so obvious what it is when it isn't being used.

I have no problem with the sound of it while running...honestly, with the ac on I can't really hear it. It was worth the purchase price because when we get an ungodly hot and humid summer it means I don't have to stay home. I have yet to camp somewhere that offered enough electricity to run my ac unit....so I have my generator. It is very quiet. Yes people here will complain about it but I check with all the parks I camp at and they allow the use of the quiet generator types, and I purposely pick campsites with only woods behind me so the any sound would be facing tree's and not another neighboring campsites. I have camped places that people used very loud construction type generators...but to be honest, I sleep with ear plugs and it doesn't bother me.

I guess some of us learn to be more tolerant. Now if they were running it day and night, I would say something, I don't mind earplugs at night while sleeping, but during the day I don't want to hear any loud noises, to include music and atv's/dirtbikes...just want to hear birds and sounds of nature.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar power