Why's Escape doing so well??? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #81

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Anything company owners do to listen and learn from their customers is a good thing, whether that is participating in rallies, or forums, or RV shows, or factory tours, or whatever. Companies that move away from such interaction do at their peril. Echo chambers (the home office) tend to be places where real problems are not owned up to and addressed.

Privately owned companies tend to go through a life cycle and eventually a handoff to the next generation. Sometimes the subsequent generations share the enthusiasm/love of the business, other times they don't.

It would be really good seeing them using their own product at events like rallies and shows. Don't show up and then drive off to a hotel.

Given the backlogs that all of the molded FG manufacturers are enjoying right now, its easy to lose sight of issues. In business, we used to say: "Profits hide problems." Once the demand slacks off it can be too late to respond quick enough to save the business. By listening to problems while business is good, taking corrective actions, and talking to customers, you are in better shape when the next downturn occurs.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 AM   #82

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Anything company owners do to listen and learn from their customers is a good thing, whether that is participating in rallies, or forums, or RV shows, or factory tours, or whatever. Companies that move away from such interaction do at their peril. Echo chambers (the home office) tend to be places where real problems are not owned up to and addressed.

Privately owned companies tend to go through a life cycle and eventually a handoff to the next generation. Sometimes the subsequent generations share the enthusiasm/love of the business, other times they don't.

It would be really good seeing them using their own product at events like rallies and shows. Don't show up and then drive off to a hotel.

Given the backlogs that all of the molded FG manufacturers are enjoying right now, its easy to lose sight of issues. In business, we used to say: "Profits hide problems." Once the demand slacks off it can be too late to respond quick enough to save the business. By listening to problems while business is good, taking corrective actions, and talking to customers, you are in better shape when the next downturn occurs.
Well stated, Bill.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #83

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Step back, take stock

Bill’s words ring true with me. I think of the dozens of quality products produced Over The last 50 or so years and that many of them are no longer available for whatever reason. Enjoy today, enjoy the camper you have, and cherish the good times and the friends you’ve made camping. I make it a personal policy not to knock another man’s equipment or lifestyle. Raised by “ Live and let live” parents, I’m thankful
For every day.
Carly Simon. “ These are the good old days”.
Merle. “ Are the good times really over for good?”
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #84

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Bill’s words ring true with me. I think of the dozens of quality products produced Over The last 50 or so years and that many of them are no longer available for whatever reason. Enjoy today, enjoy the camper you have, and cherish the good times and the friends you’ve made camping. I make it a personal policy not to knock another man’s equipment or lifestyle. Raised by “ Live and let live” parents, I’m thankful
For every day.
Carly Simon. “ These are the good old days”.
Merle. “ Are the good times really over for good?”
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Step back to when Maytag was Mr. Frederick Maytag? "Is everybody happy".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #85

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine. I think ETI is doing very well because they build a quality product, they have many customer options where each trailer is unique to the trailer owner, excellent customer service, good value to cost (especially for US buyers and the exchange rate) AND they're building trailer models with layouts not seen in other all-molded-towable manufacturers products.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #86

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Mayjag

Hi Alf
I still have two Maytag gas engines that ran farm washing machines before everybody had electricity. One is the single cylinder the other is a twin cylinder. Both run. I also have a 1 3/4 h.p gas engine from about 1920. Quality products will last a long time if they are taken care of as you know. Fred Maytag and the Duesenberg Brothers were in business together at one time. If you’re ever in Auburn, Indiana the Auburn/Cord / Duesenberg museum is worth the stop. When someone asks me about our Escape
I simply say “ It’s a Deusey” What is a hit and miss magneto anyway?
Iowa “one lunger” Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #87

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
British Columbia
I also like the direct sales to the customer. They make a little more and I might save a bit not have a middle man/dealer involved like so many stick trailers.
Not all Bolers have been around for 50 years but I am looking forward to the big event this year having rebuilt one from the ground up.
There is no reason why that longevity is not also possible with my new Escape. I have told my 35 yr old daughter to enjoy it when I pass on, then pass it on to her daughter. The whole family loves camping and buying a quality product now could serve generations to come.
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #88

Name: Ray
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (Pick up in April 2018)
South Carolina
I looked hard at Escape, Bigfoot, Casita and Scamp. Finally figured out that there are options and good reasons why people make their purchase decisions. New vs used is another criteria for decision-making. It comes down to simply choice and opinion. I don't express my opinion as fact and I respect everyone's right to have and express theirs.
My point is simply this..You spend your money as you see fit and I'll do the same. I bought my FGRV based on my desires and opinions. Escape and Bigfoot were off the table for me simply because they aren't made in the USA. That was one of my top priorities. Silly right but, that is important to me. I bought Oliver. This company has all the important bases covered for me. To each their own. We are all FGRV owners or enthusiasts that sets us apart from others and should unite us as a group. I'm happy to have found this site, it has allowed me to make informed decisions. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all.
Ray
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #89

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
I considered Scamp, Casita, Escape and Bigfoot and the quality, layouts and price of each. Then I bought my EggCamper because it's the only one I could stand up straight in. lol.

Merry Christmas Eve everybody!!

Cherie and Joe
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #90

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
I considered Scamp, Casita, Escape and Bigfoot and the quality, layouts and price of each. Then I bought my Eggcamper because it's the only one I could stand up straight in. lol.
I can stand up straight in my Bigfoot - but I'm only 6'3". You must be a real giant!
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #91

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
I can stand up straight in my Bigfoot - but I'm only 6'3". You must be a real giant!
Hi Jim! Yes unfortunately just a quarter inch shy of 6'6". And I don't like it at all!! Clothes, vehicles, FGRV. Nothing fits.....uuugggg. Cherie makes up for it tho, she is 5'0", seriously!!! lol. I guess we average out.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #92

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Hi Jim! Yes unfortunately just a quarter inch shy of 6'6". And I don't like it at all!! Clothes, vehicles, FGRV. Nothing fits.....uuugggg. Cherie makes up for it tho, she is 5'0", seriously!!! lol. I guess we average out.
Wowzers! You too must look even odder than us - Clare is 5'1". Opposites attract and all that....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #93

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Why is Escape doing so well?

Maybe because their trailers are molded fiberglass, they seem to do a good job of responding to their customers, and they give customers a great deal of freedom in equipping and finishing their trailers. I think the latitude they give you for customization is pretty unique, particularly at this price point. Additional to various equipment and cabinetry options, this includes being able to select your own upholstery fabric, flooring and countertop materials.

Why are Casita and Scamp and Oliver and Bigfoot and the others (presumably!) doing so well? Additional to the fact that the current boom is benefiting most every RV maker, I suspect the answers for all of these molded fiberglass manufacturer's are generally pretty similar. However, I think the ability to customize stands out particularly in Escape's case. As one example, not having a molded interior provides some ability to customize the cabinetry a bit.

Additional to the custom fabric, flooring and countertops, we deleted the range hood, opted for a U-shaped dinette, added a "tall cabinet" option, had cabinet walls reinforced where we wanted them, opted for a range/oven rather than a cooktop, added a cabinet door, and various electrical and insulation options. I also plan to add and rework some more items on my own over time, (starting with the snap caps!). For all that, I would actually consider ours to be much less fully customized than many I have seen on the Escape forum.

Is it my ideal trailer? Is it perfect? Did the cow really jump over the moon? Heavens to Betsy, no, no and well, maybe... But, I'd probably never actually pay the money that it would take to build my "ideal" trailer! To us, this was a more-than-satisfactory compromise between obtainable, affordable, and some likely-imperfect notion we would conjure up of our supposedly perfect trailer.

In the end, I think folks are enjoying the freedom to get something a bit closer to their own image of what their trailer should have. At least that's how we viewed it.
Attached Thumbnails
171216 DSC01237.jpg   171216 DSC01241.jpg  

171216 DSC01242.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #94

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine. I think ETI is doing very well because they build a quality product, they have many customer options where each trailer is unique to the trailer owner, excellent customer service, good value to cost (especially for US buyers and the exchange rate) AND they're building trailer models with layouts not seen in other all-molded-towable manufacturers products.

Donna nailed it. For us, the floorplan was the clincher. We moved from a Casita, a floorplan that works for many but not us.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape