Why So Many Relatively New Casitas For Sale - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #21

Name: TERRI
Trailer: 2009 13 FOOT SCAMP
Florida
Fair Price

Thanks. I have Casita sending me price info on new ones. Hope it gets here soon.
This guy is the third owner. It is stored under an awning, It appears to be in good shape. In a perfect world I'd rather have a 13 footer with bath.I have yet to hear about one for sale within 6 hours of me. I have met a couple of scammers.
Thanks for getting back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
With just the information above, a "fair" price could be all over the map. It depends...
  1. The NADA guide is so out-of-touch with reality...Offering NADA price is such an embarrassing low-ball offer to an educated owner to be of much use to you.... except to set a floor price for a fixer-upper.
  2. For used trailers the mantra is "Condition, Condition, Condition." A 1997 vintage means it's a 14 year old trailer. I would imagine that the highest price would be for a trailer that was bought new, and immediately put into indoor climate-controlled storage. For that I would offer 2/3 of the price for a comparable 2011 model.
To focus any further would require a personal inspection. YMMV
Terri Pensacola FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #22

Florida
Smile Fair Price

Thanks Terry.
I guess I was thinking too low. I thought $5500 was fair. Guess I needed to do more research.
Thanks again. Appreciate your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
I'll go out on a limb here. I bought my 1996 17 footer for $7000 at the beginning of the year. It seemed like a good deal at the time. Depending on condition, I would say anything above $6k would seem fair.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Pensacola FL View Post
Thanks Terry.
I guess I was thinking too low. I thought $5500 was fair. Guess I needed to do more research.
$5500 isn't that far from $6000. To me, that seems to be in the area where you should try some negotiation with the owner. I have a friend who's looking for an older Casita with a toilet and there doesn't seem to be many out there right now.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Thanks Terry.
Terri,

I'm fairly new to the fiberglass trailer arena. I'll just add that when I looked at the first trailer I found for sale (It was a Scamp) I thought the asking price was WAY to high. It was a really nice 2006 16' deluxe interior will all the options. I would have loved the trailer. But I just couldn't pull the string and buy it right then, I needed to think about it. After a couple weeks I went back to look at this trailer again and probably buy it, but it was gone. I quickly realized these fiberglass trailer bring more money than I thought. And the nice ones go quickly!

I had thought that with this economy they would be easier to find and for less money. But I have not found this to be true.

We recently did just buy a used Casita for a fair price. So there are some out there but you have to be ready to buy (money in hand) and jump on it if its a good deal or else it will be gone quickly.

Good luck with your search.
2010 Nissan Frontier CC
Dale AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #25

Florida
what kind of difference does 3 ft really make

Dale,
Yes I am finding it a tough decision. This one was pretty nice. It is just what I wanted, plus.... three extra feet. I am wondering how much different the 3 extra feet would really make.

It seems they really must hold their value. The economy doesn't seemed to have gotten folks to sale them. That is saying something.
Merry Christmas

Thanks,
Terri
Old 12-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Thanks. I have Casita sending me price info on new ones. Hope it gets here soon.
This guy is the third owner. It is stored under an awning, It appears to be in good shape. In a perfect world I'd rather have a 13 footer with bath.I have yet to hear about one for sale within 6 hours of me. I have met a couple of scammers.
Thanks for getting back to me.
I think the 13' with bath is pretty crowded and closed in. Without the bath there's a couch that turns into a bunk bed and a large front window. The front window adds a lot light and some outside views.
Good luck with your search.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ditto to what Byron said and the front window is great! But, it has more to do with your needs and style of camping.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #28

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Freedom Deluxe 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
"my trailer would be among the first things on the chopping block if I was looking to make a mortgage payment".
I (and the spouse) would take the direct opposite approach. Our fully paid truck and Casita are our "safety valve" (in many respects). If things were to turn especially nasty financially, our little egg is our safe harbor and would keep us from living on the streets or couch-surfing. It's a comfort to know that we can be hooked up and down the road within minutes.

Knock on wood that that need will never arise . . . .

Bret
Bret Tresidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hear, hear Bret. Almost the minute I bought my trailer, I knew I'd never have to sleep under a bridge. Believe it or not, that was actually a relief. My trailer is decades old. What I could sell it for, wouldn't give me enough to live on for more than a brief moment in time. But I could live (comfortably) for a very long time in it. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #30

Florida
What a relief

Sounds like a few of us have thought about that what if???
Another thought that has popped in my head. What if I got rid of all of this stuff...How little can I live with? I think I could do with a whole lot less. If the housing market was a little better, I think I would be willing to find out.;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hear, hear Bret. Almost the minute I bought my trailer, I knew I'd never have to sleep under a bridge. Believe it or not, that was actually a relief. But I could live (comfortably) for a very long time in it. YMMV
Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #31

Name: Karl in Elmira ON
Trailer: Boler 1300-76
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Tresidder

I (and the spouse) would take the direct opposite approach. Our fully paid truck and Casita are our "safety valve" (in many respects). If things were to turn especially nasty financially, our little egg is our safe harbor and would keep us from living on the streets or couch-surfing. It's a comfort to know that we can be hooked up and down the road within minutes.

Knock on wood that that need will never arise . . . .

Bret
I'd agree too Bret. If it came to survival we could make it in our 'egg', no problem! And also - let's all hope we never half to.
I work for a missions org and I'll tell you, many many people in the world would love an 'egg' home!
I think we need to remember that often - even if we struggle with recession, or whatever.
A second 'egg' home is likely only affordable by 1.5% of the worlds population - if that!

Happy (and blessed) New Year All!
kgingeri is offline   Reply With Quote