Why So Many Relatively New Casitas For Sale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There's an interesting thread over on the Casita Forum -- but as yet, not many responses. http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...showtopic=3653

Thought I'd post the jist of it over here to get some other responses.

I've been monitoring the 3 FG websites pretty closely over the past three years. I always monitored the for sale listings -- still trying to convince my smarter (and more frugal) half to part with our money.

It seems like over the past three years it was relatively rare to see a Casita not older than 3 years appear on any of the sites for sale -- like I said over there, as rare as a Casita at a PopUp rally. It seems to me since about Jan you can't go to one of the 3 FG sites without seeing at least one, but sometimes more, 05-06-07- or even 08 Casitas for sale.

I've not keep any real data but it seems (perhaps just my misperception) that there have been more 3 year old or less Casitas for sale over the past 5 months than the entire last 3 years. At the same time, although Scamps for sale do appear on all three sites -- I still haven't seen a lot of 05-06-07-or 08 Scamps to older ones like the ratio of Casitas appear to be.

Wonder why? Is my conspiracy theorist proclivity running amuck? Is this something that occurs every year this time and I"m seeing more relevance than reality? Coincidence? A harbinger of the end times?

Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
It's gotta be a conspiracy of some sort. Not sure whether left wing or right wing, or maybe neither.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Ed,

While I have nothing data wise more than observation, I'd have to agree that I've been wondering why a bunch of late-model Casita's seem to be for sale recently. Most say "never used" or "used once or twice." Seems to be disproportionate to the other models, but some of the models there are no late model trailers since they're out of business so might not be a good comparison. Don't seem to see that many late model Scamps though like we're seeing with the Casita's.

Do you think they could be "knock-offs" coming from China or Mexico and not really Casita's? Kind of like the Gucci handbags and Rolex watches?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I think it's fate telling me to step up and get a nice 17' with bathroom.
I just wish they would be a little closer to me.

Let's see 4.00 per gallon to the west coast and back. Yikes! the trailer would have to be $500.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Were any Casitas made available to Katrina folks and are now being sold off?

CindyL
Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
One factor in more newish "pre-owned" Casitas than Scamps being for sale might be the Scamp factory fire, and the down-time their manufacturing process experienced. There may be fewer late model Scamps out there to be for sale at present.

Also, the spring is definitely the time to sell a trailer (or boat). The fall is definitely the time to buy either one.

Of course, I don't think we can ignore the escalating price of gasoline (and everything else!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Were any Casitas made available to Katrina folks and are now being sold off?

CindyL
I don't think so.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
I think it's fate telling me to step up and get a nice 17' with bathroom.
I just wish they would be a little closer to me.

Let's see 4.00 per gallon to the west coast and back. Yikes! the trailer would have to be $500.
Let's see if we can find one of these late model Casita's for you close by......
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
To expand on Mary's thought. Is it possible a large number of folks have financed the purchase of a new trailer and now are looking to cut their budget? With Scamp being down as long as they were, more Casitas were probably sold than may have been "normal." Typically when in a budget crisis (loss of job, medical) one of the first things to go is the "vacation" toys. If a trailer is paid for, then one may be looking to recoop some cash, and this is the time to sell. I'm not in that spot "yet" but my trailer would be among the first things on the chopping block if I was looking to make a mortgage payment.

Just some thoughts.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with Mack the tug)
Good point Donna, there are a lot of people in a world of hurt these days and the extras are the first to go. Why have a trailer if you cannot afford to haul it. There are a great many who are pairing down to the necessities. I also believe that Ed is seeing most if not all the Casitas that are for sale, there is no better place to advertise than the Casita Forum. I have found that a lot of people were like me and found the forum before they found their trailer.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I'll echo Donnas line of logic, and I also feel we're seeing a rise of all Recreation Vehicle sales across the board, as more people are feeling the pinch and selling off. It's not just Casitas, but all RV's, boats, ATV's, SUV's, Trucks, ect. all are showing up more and more for sale across the nation.

BTW, I'm no expert but I think the spike in gas prices is purely artifical and temporary. This has all been a bubble of futures speculation on oil prices which has been driving prices up. Not supply, demand, or any other factor.

I also feel this bubble is about to burst. Two reasons... the SEC has publicly announced a investigation into allegations of artifical price speculation...where there's smoke there's fire. And the SEC dosen't usually announce investigations unless they are expecting to get something out of the effort.

And second, at a recent OPEC meeting this week, a UK news report has surfaced that quotes a Oil Minister stating concern over the recent price spikes in oil prices, and he has stated that based on current supply and demand, oil should be trading only in the $40-$50/ barrel range.

It's not much, but as a firm student of business cycles, I think we will see a "revelation" of some sort. Something will come public of some shady wall street shenanagans and "Presto!", prices of oil will start retreating.

My bet...just before the National Election.

ConwayBob
Old 05-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #12

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
A few thoughts:

It's not too unusual to find VERY late model trailers for sale. People buy them - then decide they don't like camping - or don't like camping in eggs - or want something bigger (or maybe smaller now) etc etc. I haven't been tracking the frequency - but simply seeing them isn't too odd.

As far as it being disproportionate with Scamp (nearly the only alternative) - I don't know what their relative sales figures are. All other things being equal, if Casita sold twice the number of trailers, you'd expect to see twice the number newish used trailers being sold.

To further expand on the "what gets sold first" discussion - I wouldn't be surprised if the general economic situation (especially as concerns the housing market) isn't playing a role here. While not for eggs, I've seen a significant number of postings for used trailers for sale in the last couple of months where the seller states explicitly in the ad that they are trying to make their mortgage payment. It's sad.

mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
More likely it has to do with the current economy. People are feeling tight and the price of gas is way up. Selling the trailer toy is likely due to financial need and that feeling one gets in the pit of their stomach whenever they pull into a gas station.

Quote:
It's gotta be a conspiracy of some sort. Not sure whether left wing or right wing, or maybe neither.
Wingnut.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
More likely it has to do with the current economy. People are feeling tight and the price of gas is way up. Selling the trailer toy is likely due to financial need and that feeling one gets in the pit of their stomach whenever they pull into a gas station.
Demand is up-($China $India). Supply- flat-. $Arabs = high price oil. Woe is U.S.
Wingnut.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If it's any barometer, there is a person a few miles away with a Humongo RV bus parked along side his house.
I noticed this because it seems he has out his fence, firepit , light and chairs along his driveway and THAT is where he has been camping the last few weeks.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If it's any barometer, there is a person a few miles away with a Humongo RV bus parked along side his house.
I noticed this because it seems he has out his fence, firepit , light and chairs along his driveway and THAT is where he has been camping the last few weeks.
Staycation Time.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #17

Name: TERRI
Trailer: 2009 13 FOOT SCAMP
Florida
HI
I am looking at a 1997 16 footer with bath. What is a fair price of
Any help would be a ppreciated.

Thanks
ladysunshine0205@gmail.com
Terri Pensacola FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... If you are part of the newly retired, with a yard full of toys, whos IRA savings have tanked, or you bought a new TT to see the USA, in your Chevrolet, just when gas prices spiked, you might be likely to join the long list of sellers!!!
A big factor for us buying our Escape 5.0& Tug, was the sellers being accepted into a seniors subsidized housing apt. with two vehicles and a trailer that requires some where to store it!!!
A second big factor was we are still working and have a few good earning years left to pay off our biggy toy budget yet still enjoy using them.
Here I've always thought that just when we got to "Middle Class" they cancelled it!!! Could be that they're waiting for us to get to "Retirement Age" before they blow out the candles there too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Pensacola FL View Post
HI
I am looking at a 1997 16 footer with bath. What is a fair price?
With just the information above, a "fair" price could be all over the map. It depends...
  1. The NADA guide is so out-of-touch with reality...Offering NADA price is such an embarrassing low-ball offer to an educated owner to be of much use to you.... except to set a floor price for a fixer-upper.
  2. For used trailers the mantra is "Condition, Condition, Condition." A 1997 vintage means it's a 14 year old trailer. I would imagine that the highest price would be for a trailer that was bought new, and immediately put into indoor climate-controlled storage. For that I would offer 2/3 of the price for a comparable 2011 model.
To focus any further would require a personal inspection. YMMV
Old 12-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #20

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Pensacola FL View Post
HI
I am looking at a 1997 16 footer with bath. What is a fair price of
Any help would be a ppreciated.

Thanks
ladysunshine0205@gmail.com
I'll go out on a limb here. I bought my 1996 17 footer for $7000 at the beginning of the year. It seemed like a good deal at the time. Depending on condition, I would say anything above $6k would seem fair.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote