Why The 6'8" Width? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Why The 6'8" Width?

I've been wondering, why are most of the fiberglass eggs six foot eight inches wide? I know the EggCamper is 7'4" wide, and it seems much more spacious inside because of it, but is there some sort of legal advantage for the more narrow size? Or is it just to make as small a camper as possible?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I've been wondering, why are most of the fiberglass eggs six foot eight inches wide?

Is there some sort of legal advantage for the more narrow size?
80" wide is the cutoff before you have to meet more Federal Regulations.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I don't know what's legal but motorhomes are 8'6" or 102" wide. There fore I also suspect it's nothing to do with the law.

The reason to me is that they tried to make a minimal trailer with some level of all the creature comforts that was not too heavy, could be towed by a reasonable vehicle and met the needs of two or a young family of four.

6'8" is 80" wide; 7'4" is 86" wide, this resulys in about 8-10% reduction in mpg. If you take into account the additional height of the Eggcamper I suspect it amounts to a 20% reduction in mpg. In addition though it may not weigh more than a Casita 17, the increased frontal area is more of an issue for the tow vehicle than weight.

Frontal Area, drag and lastly material costs.
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I don't know what's legal but motorhomes are 8'6" or 102" wide. There fore I also suspect it's nothing to do with the law.

The reason to me is that they tried to make a minimal trailer with some level of all the creature comforts that was not too heavy, could be towed by a reasonable vehicle and met the needs of two or a young family of four.

6'8" is 80" wide; 7'4" is 86" wide, this resulys in about 8-10% reduction in mpg. If you take into account the additional height of the Eggcamper I suspect it amounts to a 20% reduction in mpg. In addition though it may not weigh more than a Casita 17, the increased frontal area is more of an issue for the tow vehicle than weight.

Frontal Area, drag and lastly material costs.
Actually ; it does have DOT implications. I can't recall what they all are but clearance lights front and rear and ID lights and maybe conspicuity tape are some. plus rear visibility requirements come into play as well.
There may be some manufacturing requirements as well.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All I know is my Scamp is the same width as my tug... a Ford F-150 and because of that I don't need extra mirrors so I can see behind me ... and I like THAT!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #6

Registry
About how much worse gas mileage would a typical camper of eight feet wide and ten feet high calculate out to?

The DOT requirements couldn't be much since almost all campers are at least eight feet wide. Does anyone here know the details of what these restrictions, if they actually exist, consist of?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All I know is my Scamp is the same width as my tug... a Ford F-150 and because of that I don't need extra mirrors so I can see behind me ... and I like THAT!
That would be nice. Even though the outside mirrors on my Tundra measure just an inch short of eight feet from outside edge to outside edge, I still need an extension to see what's behind my camper.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
102" is the DOT limit for anything on the road without an oversize permit
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I always figured it was just because Boler happened to decide on that size, and Boler then was copied by subsequent mfrs.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #10

Name: Charlotte
Trailer: 16'Scamp w/side dinette
Ohio
We can see behind our scamp 16' with our TV-GMC sierra 1500--it is the only camper I have enjoyed pulling because of that! It works great for us.
Cabs in ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb Let there be light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
80" wide is the cutoff before you have to meet more Federal Regulations.
Quote:
80" is the max width before wide-vehicle identification lights (the three-light group in the middle) and width clearance lights are needed
My Fiber Stream is 80" wide near the floor and 78" wide near the roof, and has reflectors, but no lights up near the roof. The 2 Tail lights plus the 4 Side-markers make a total of 6 light bulbs in the Running/Marker light circuit. If it were wider it would need at least 11, and possibly 14 more light bulbs/fixtures in that circuit.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Revised Code of Washington

NB: 6' 8'' = 80" (72+8)

Point of information: 7'4" = 88" (84+4)

RCW 46.37.090: Additional equipment required on certain vehicles.

(2) Trailers and semitrailers eighty inches or more in over-all width:

(a) On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side;

(b) On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side, and after January 1, 1964, three identification lamps meeting the specifications of subdivision (6) [(7)] of this section;

(c) On each side, two side marker lamps, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear;

(d) On each side, two reflectors, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear: PROVIDED, That a mobile home as defined by RCW 46.04.302 need not be equipped with two side marker lamps or two side reflectors as required by subsection (2) (c) and (d) of this section while operated under the terms of a special permit authorized by RCW 46.44.090.

Our Trillium is 6'6" (78") wide so as to fall under the 80" requirements.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Our 1980 Bigfoot is 8' (96") wide and has 11 clearance lights and 4 reflectors plus 2 tail lights. Upper front has 2 amber lights. Sides have upper lights and lower reflectors (amber front and red rear). Rear has 5 upper red lights and lower tail lights. All are now LEDs.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Our 5.0 is 6'8" wide and no special mirrors required...I like that!!! We have top& bottom side markers on the four corners. Red behind the axle and amber in front of it. So far I've had to change 1 bulb due to the A/C moisture running down the trailer and into the lens. The bases are well sealed to the fiberglass so I'm not going to change 'em out to LED's yet!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote