Wide Body Burros? and other travel trailers? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
Floyd, sorry if I offended you. It was an honest question. I take the weight limitations seriously until I have enough experience to know where I can "fudge" it. I was thinking fiberglass weighed less than wood. Silly me. . .
Tonie
I looked at this some time back and it seems the wood (deluxe) was running slightly higher, maybe 150-200 lbs. Those cabinets and cupboards are small. Seems too that with the wood you can get extra cabinets or not and that would make some difference depending on that.

You are justified in taking the weight limitations seriously and your question was not silly. You know the old "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask" deal.

Have you looked through this listing: Trailer Weights in the Real World

Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
Floyd, sorry if I offended you. It was an honest question. I take the weight limitations seriously until I have enough experience to know where I can "fudge" it. I was thinking fiberglass weighed less than wood. Silly me. . .
Tonie
Offended??? I don't see how.
Fact is, a Deluxe on average does weigh a bit more than a Standard, but nearly all the weight difference can be attributed to extra cabinets and equipment.
The weight of all that "essential stuff " that people bring along is the important variable.
The good news is that the shape of a Scamp makes it easier to tow loaded than much of its competition tows empty.
Check the "Frontal area" limitations for your TV. This often neglected stat is at least as important as weight.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Everything I have read is that frontal area vis a vis wind drag has more impact on fuel than weight. Granted weight does impact getting the unit up to speed, but once there it is wind drag that uses the most fuel to keep it going. That is why it takes 1/3 more fuel to go from 55 to 70 mph. On the other hand, weight, like Newton says, an object at rest...object in motion, unless you are in stop and go, it will be wind that is fighting you.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #18

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Be careful what you wish for. An 8 foot wide trailer is nice at camp, but becomes more trouble to tow.

My Oliver is 7 feet wide. That puts it at the same width as my pickup, and the wheels are in line with the wheels on my truck. What that means is that towing is care free. You know if your truck is in the lane, the trailer is too. It means if you didn't hit the mailbox with your fender, the trailer won't hit it either. It also means if you missed the pothole on the truck, you are also going to miss it with the trailer.

Stuff to think about.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #19

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2016 Honda Odyssey
Alabama
Cathy, I have looked at that chart and appreciate the effort of Mr. Simpson to collect and publish the data. I admit that until I know the different models of the different TT makers, I have to look back time and again.... Thanks for the info.

Floyd and CPA, I have never heard of "frontal area limitations" for the TV. I did an internet search to find the limitations for the 2006 Toyota Sienna, but haven't yet found a listing for it. Could you guys explain this a little more? Thanks!
Tonie
Old 03-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #20

Alabama
Ron, thanks for the tip.... This is all a learning experience for me, and I appreciate the info like this that only comes with experience, from everyone here... Finding a TT that best fits my needs, and at the same time fits my driving capabilities and my TV's requirements is something of a challenge. It just means I need to learn everything I can before I jump into something...
Tonie
Old 03-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I'm only aware of frontal area limits listed for certain Ford and Jeep models. I just bought my 3rd Sienna and none had any mention of towing frontal area in the owner's manual.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:24 AM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
I'm only aware of frontal area limits listed for certain Ford and Jeep models. I just bought my 3rd Sienna and none had any mention of towing frontal area in the owner's manual.
Tow a parachute... it don't weigh much atall!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:38 AM   #23

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Trailer Life Towing Guide

There are various towing guides on the web. This is one of the best.

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-conten...Guide-2006.pdf

It looks like the 2006 Sienna can tow 3500#, or class II.

Here is a guide to real world trailer weights:

Trailer Weights in the Real World

(#21 is ours) You mention Burros. We liked the Burro when we first started looking but very few show up for sale. Either there aren't many out there or the folks that have them hang on to them. (The Burro website was up for years past the demise of the company.)

Good luck on your egg hunt.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Tow a parachute... it don't weigh much atall!

Floyd....think that's the best post I've EVER seen
Old 03-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #25

Alabama
Tom, thanks. Seems there's lots on Fords and Jeeps, and a Dodge or 2, but I couldn't find anything at all for Toyotas either....

Tonie
Old 03-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #26

Alabama
Roger, thanks for the info. I hadn't seen that particular towing chart before, although I have the Real Towing Weights bookmarked and check it often. Nice to know #21 is yours! I know I'll be asking about hitches at some point. . .
Tonie
Old 03-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #27

Name: mary
Trailer: 16ft Scamp
California
Hi my Scamp is 16 sd layout 6 I don't know anything about A or B, but I have all the extras ac, microwave, fridge, shower. I bought my scamp used (one trip)
if I was to do again I wouldn't get the micro or the ac. I live in northern CA, and do most of our travels on the coast where there is no electric hookups, it is a waste of weight. But I do love my Scamp
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #28

Alabama
Thanks, Mary. The layout on 6 looks great. I would probably forego the micro, too, since I only use one to heat up coffee. I'd need the A C though, being located in Alabama. . . I've appreciated all the discussion regarding AC options found on the forum. Nothing beats experience! Of course, everyone has to choose which options fit his/her lifestyle. . . That's the neat thing about TT - fit them out the way you choose, and take off for destinations that make you happy! I can't wait to get one!
Tonie

Tags
burro