Wide Fiberglass trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: In the market
California
Wide Fiberglass trailers

I've been looking at fiberglass trailers, but most of them are fairly narrow, with the exception of the Bigfoot trailers. Does anyone know of any other trailers that are 19' to 21' long and at least 7' wide?
tonydobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape.
http://escapetrailer.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 7.29.41 PM.png  
Old 04-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This...
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
This...
Thanks Glenn and thanks Donna! That's a bit wider than many of the other options out there.. not quite as wide as the Bigfoot, but wide enough! Thank you both!.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Many find a narrower profile one of the advantages of molded fiberglass. It definitely makes for easier towing. Is there a particular reason for wanting a wide trailer?

In addition to Bigfoot and the larger Escapes, there are a few vintage models to consider. Burro made 14' and 17' "wide body" trailers. I don't know the width, but definitely over 7'.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #6

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Many find a narrower profile one of the advantages of molded fiberglass. It definitely makes for easier towing.

In addition to Bigfoot and the larger Escapes, there are a few vintage models to consider. Burro made 14' and 17' "wide body" trailers. I don't know the width, but definitely over 7'.

Is there a particular reason for wanting a wide trailer?
Cant speak for the OP - but the reason I wanted a wide trailer was the ability sleep across it. I'm 6' 3" on a good day. Also I can stand up in the Bigfoot.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Many find a narrower profile one of the advantages of molded fiberglass. It definitely makes for easier towing. Is there a particular reason for wanting a wide trailer?

Thanks for the info! I prefer some extra width for sleeping as well as for being able to pass another person in the RV. I find that on the more narrow models you need to do some acrobatics to allow someone else to pass by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Cant speak for the OP - but the reason I wanted a wide trailer was the ability sleep across it. I'm 6' 3" on a good day. Also I can stand up in the Bigfoot.
I'm not quite as tall as you, but sleeping is definitely one of the factors that I was thinking about.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #8

California
Maybe a nice Odyssey Americana will come my way and I'll just restore that instead... too bad all these models are hard to find :/
Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A very nice EggCamper was just listed. Very wide and tall (88" wide, 6'7" interior headroom). Big drawback is they are all-electric. You could retrofit LP (I'll assume you are handy, since you are considering an older Toyota Odyssey Americana moho).

If your budget is lower, the Burro 17' comes up fairly regularly. Just keep your eyes open.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #10

California
Quote:
A very nice EggCamper was just listed. Very wide and tall. Big drawback is they are all-electric. You could retrofit LP, and I'll assume you are handy (since you are considering an older Toyota Odyssey Americana moho).

If your budget is lower, the Burro 17' comes up fairly regularly. Just keep your eyes open.
Thanks, I'll take a look! And, I'm fairly handy... I'm also building a Sprinter campervan currently

Edit: The EggCamper looks to be a bit small :/
Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydobbs View Post
Thanks for the info! I prefer some extra width for sleeping as well as for being able to pass another person in the RV. I find that on the more narrow models you need to do some acrobatics to allow someone else to pass by.

We were pleasantly surprised with the difference between our Escape 19 versus our Casita Liberty. We really couldn't pass each other in the aisle way without really squeezing by in the Casita. It is much easier in the Escape. We didn't expect this benefit, but its really nice.

Someday I will measure the difference. It may only be a few inches in the aisle, but it is very noticeable!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
We were pleasantly surprised with the difference between our Escape 19 versus our Casita Liberty. We really couldn't pass each other in the aisle way without really squeezing by in the Casita. It is much easier in the Escape. We didn't expect this benefit, but its really nice.

Someday I will measure the difference. It may only be a few inches in the aisle, but it is very noticeable!
I can definitely relate to this. I've noticed that there is a certain width required to be able to pass each other in the aisle, and having that width is a major improvement. There is definitely a sweet spot. I don't want a massive trailer/RV that's hard to maneuver, but I do want enough space to pass someone down the aisle.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #13

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Tony,

It is amazing how much difference even 4” of width can make in a small trailer. Our ‘05 Casita 17’ FD is currently a perfect egg camper for us; however, there are many Casita owners that move to an Escape 19’. A couple of extra feet, but that extra 4” of width makes a huge difference as well.

Happy egg hunting!

Take care,

Dean
Old 04-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #14

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
While the EggCamper is small length wise, it is the "roomiest" fiberglass camper I've been in. There are no bulkheads, the hallway is VERY wide. You feel like you are in a room - not a hallway. I'm 6'6" tall and sleep side to side and I have maybe 6"-8" of length left to spare!

I've been in an Escape 21, and 5.0TA - while they have more sq ft of hallway, longer hallway, and more storage (BY FAR), the EggCamper feels roomier and is more open than either mentioned in my opinion.

That being said - it will be too small once we retire for LONG trips! The 5.0TA may win long term just for storage and dinette reasons!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
In addition to Bigfoot and the larger Escapes, there are a few vintage models to consider. Burro made 14' and 17' "wide body" trailers.
The Trillium 5500 is 90 inches wide.
The rear bead is 50 X 86.
Very rare trailer though.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
While the EggCamper is small length wise, it is the "roomiest" fiberglass camper I've been in. There are no bulkheads, the hallway is VERY wide. You feel like you are in a room - not a hallway. I'm 6'6" tall and sleep side to side and I have maybe 6"-8" of length left to spare!

I've been in an Escape 21, and 5.0TA - while they have more sq ft of hallway, longer hallway, and more storage (BY FAR), the EggCamper feels roomier and is more open that either mentioned in my opinion.

That being said - it will be too small once we retire for LONG trips! The 5.0TA may win long term just for storage and dinette reasons!
Yeah, they're pretty amazing little things. I think if they made a 19' version it would be a no-brainer!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
The Trillium 5500 is 90 inches wide.
The rear bead is 50 X 86.
Very rare trailer though.
WOW! That's quite a lot of space... too bad I haven't seen any for sale!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #18

Name: Dan and Liz
Trailer: LilSnoozy on order
Vermont
LilSnoozy's are about 6'6' wide on the interior. I'm 6'1" and could stand as well as stretch out fully across the bed. We are anxiously awaiting delivery on ours in the next couple of months!
Dan and Liz in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #19

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz in VT View Post
LilSnoozy's are about 6'6' wide on the interior. I'm 6'1" and could stand as well as stretch out fully across the bed. We are anxiously awaiting delivery on ours in the next couple of months!

You will love it.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Note on the Escape 21, the bed is an 80" long queen, mounted longitudinally rather than laterally.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote