Wife is getting cold feet. Help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I more or less just came off of vacation.For 18 days on road we paid from $0 to $42.00.The $42 was at a resort area.If we had of hoteled it we would have probably paid $1800.00 for accmodations.On top of that hotel cost would have been fuel and whatever.While camping/vacation costs were about $1200.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
...the most enjoyable thing has been that 9 out of 10 times as they step out of the Scamp they say the exact same thing: "Well, It's all you need."
...followed with "It's alot bigger inside than out!"
Old 09-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
If you are looking to cut costs and still camp at full hookup campsites. There are alternatives such as www.passportamerica.com and www.campclubusa.com. These are membership clubs that an annual fee of between $40 and $50 is paid and certain campgrounds your daily fee is usually cut in half. We've stayed in campgrounds for $10 a night full hookup. This works great for us.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
...followed with "It's alot bigger inside than out!"
Bob, you and I have run across the same folks...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:37 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Here's the rub: We didn't buy a trailer to save money in the short run. (Perhaps the long, two-decades long, run.) We bought it so that we could explore places we'd be less likely to see if we restricted ourselves to hotel-based vacationing. Last month, for example, we went on a 9-day-long trip, stopping at four different campgrounds (only one of which did not have a shower) without ever having to pack and unpack. While walking around one of the places we camped (Salt Creek Park, near Point Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula) we saw one or two gray whales. Across the Straight of Juan de Fuca in British Columbia at Weir Beach Resort I saw a pod of orca (killer whales) while I was walking back from the shower. We likely would have missed these things if we restricted ourselves to a hotel/motel vacation.

We also got a trailer so we could be more spontaneous. Having fun somewhere? Trailering makes it easy to extend your stay. See something you'd like to explore? Pull over and look! Bored? Weather bad? Move on! When you're trailering the whole continent is your play space, so wander until you see something that catches your fancy.

Now, since your wife is doing the dollars and cents, here's something else to consider: Food. Stay in a hotel and you'll almost have to eat out. Stay in a trailer and you can cook a meal "at home" or microwave something from Budget Gourmet for a fraction of the cost. (And my cooking is a lot healthier than much of the stuff we'd likely get from the combination of restaurants and fast-food places we would ordinarily stop at if we didn't have a kitchen.)

Lynne and I spent slightly over $100 a day on our last vacation (not including two ferry trips, which cost about $105 each). That's less than most hotel room after taxes, yet it includes everything we spent money on: gas, food, a few meals out, trailer park fees, odds-n-ends, a kilo (2.2lbs) of Smarties (my favorite candy), a few knick-knacks and one inexpensive (but nice) piece of artwork. So, if we're not counting the cost of the trailer, we likely spent less than half of what we would have spent if we stayed at hotels and ate out. Probably much less than half, actually.

Now, thinking of the up-front costs, there is a sizable expense involved in buying and possibly upgrading/refurbishing a trailer, but don't forget you can get a lot of that back if you decide trailering isn't for you and you decide to sell it. The option to sell your trailer if things don't work out substantially reduces the amount of money you're placing "at risk."

Just some things to think about.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Quote:
Besides if all the hotels are sold out can you even imagine spending the night in a walmart parking lot without one.....;-)
Jen, That is one of the funnier things I have read on this forum. Thanks for the laugh
Dean
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We usually stay at state parks or Corps of Engineers campgrounds (highly recommended.) They usually fall in the $18 - $22 range for full hook up sites, sometimes a couple of dollars more for "premium" sites right on the water.

It is great to just pack your things into the camper, sleep on your own sheets & pillows and breathe fresh air. It only takes a few minutes to get our Scamp set up. We always take along a screen room so we can sit outside all we want.

Happy camping!

Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Quote:
Zeb, my Scamp 16 attracted tourists like moths to a flame. It was amazing. I came back one afternoon to find three women circling the trailer and eyeing it like a loose diamond. They spent 45 minutes looking over every nook and cranny after I arrived! It is fun though.

Roger

I had a long-haul trucker follow me into a rest area just to get a tour last summer. I traded a tour of his cab. Too cool!

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi all -

We are the crazy Geezers currently full-timing in our 13ft Scamp ... 15 months and still going strong! We second the comments of several others:

1. Try a rental unit to get a feel for the (very) wide range of RV accommodations available.

2. Membership in PassportAmerica has saved us a bundle. We have found delightful parks with nice facilities (only 2 'NOT' experiences in 3 years).

3. We use USPS and US Army Corps of Engrs parks too - great locations and good amenities.

4. We tend to avoid places with 'resort' in the name, as we don't usually participate in the activities and they are often just paved "parking lots" with little or no ambiance to recommend them (a pool and WiFi are our must-haves here). The highest we have paid for a space was $43.00 at the KOA at Bar Harbor, Maine when we visited Acadia National Park ... BUT, our campsite was surrounded by large trees and lovely rock formations and looked out over the water ... pretty wonderful, and worth it. We don't splurge like that often (and the lobster was deeeelicious, but that's another story - grin).

5. Always being 'at home' at the end of the day (own bed & linens, choice of own meals, etc) is worth everything, and, as stated, we don't disrupt folks' lives when we visit - we just park & plug in.

Well, I'll likely think of more advantages after signing off, but you can tell from our thoughts we are CONFIRMED Fiberglassers - go for it, and if you don't like it, you'll easily find a buyer for your rig. Wishing you happy memories and safe journeys, L 'n D
Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #30

Trailer: Play Pac
http://consumerist.com/consumer/disgusting...-investigation-
every-single-hotel-failed-to-wash-your-cups-and-glasses-320053.php

Just show her this. It might help your cause too.

Cam
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
Tell her that the feet won't be as cold as when you sleep alone..........
Joe Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #32

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

Quote:

Cam
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:

Cam
I saw this show when it broadcast few weeks back and it was disgusting. Retiring from the airlines after spending 16 years living in motels I wasn't too happy watching this. Made me glad I went the "egg" route.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #34

Trailer: Play Pac
another reason

Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #35

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Had to cross the country two times Recently without my trailer and had to use "Hotels"
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote