Wifi - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Wifi

I saw this information posted on another sight . I do Not know anything about. The person that posted he said they had bought one off eBay and was very pleased with it. They said it is suppose to be for boaters but they use it in their camper to boast campground wifi and that it works good.

So for those of you that can read and understand all the Tech. Stuff, here is the sight for your information. If you read & understand it, let's hear what you think about it .

I know( at least I feel like I do ) and I sure do Trust your opinion on this type of information .

Happy camping

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We've been traveling about 3 months a year for the past 4 years, plan on doing a lot more. Wifi has never been a problem. We stay in National Parks, usually there's wifi close by. Death Valley at visitors center, Big Bend, at the store/laundry. Other places there's McDonald's close by and they all have free wifi. Many restaurants have free wifi.
That said a booster will allow you to use a fellow campers satellite that has wifi with out him knowing it, not really a good idea.

If you feel the need to be on the internet everyday and for a few hours at a time satellite internet may be the way to go. We only need to internet access about twice a month. therefore McDonald's or some other restaurant works fine.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Not seeing a link??????
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dual function Systems

We're on the road for more than 7 months a year. We have systems that work at home and on the road.

We have a Verizon wi-fi hotspot that we use when home, up to 5 people can be on at a time. We selected Verizon because it's just about everywhere we travel.

Similarly we also have Dish satellite TV.

We've even extended this to our primary bank, we use Bank of America because they are most everywhere.

When we are outside of Verizon range, like when traveling to Canada, we do as Byron does and go out to pickup wi-fi. IN Canada you can sit in your vehicle in front of any library or CAP center and pick up their wi-fi day or night. As well there are very few food establishments that don't offer wi-fi.

Though commercial wi-fi does provide access, we prefer our own becasue we do banking thru it. As well we like it at night for all kinds of life and knowledge extension, our newspaper before breakfast, entertainment or education at night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have the Verizon Jetpak Wifi unit. It is real nice if we are driving and want to look up something, campground and their phone number, or contact family by email. It can be a little touchy if we both want to use it at the same time, using a Macbook Air laptop and an iPad. It added $50 per month to our cell phone bill but we like it and have never gone over the 5GB limit.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We also have the MiFi from Verizon and it has been great almost everywhere we travel. Only very remote areas have stumped it and we both use it at the same time. The only slowdown is if I'm streaming a live sports event.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
If you feel the need to be on the internet everyday and for a few hours at a time satellite internet may be the way to go.
i've been looking for some information on satellite internet for some time now. if you (or anyone else) have any real world experience please pass it on?

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Pat,

Satellite Internet is very popular with large RV's. Very often they have a large mounted roof antenna for this purpose, I believe Hughes is the supplier of the service. There are also other suppliers, Dish TV now has satellite Internet. They advertise it to home owners though I know no reason why it wouldn't work for an RV. I suspect it uses the same sat as their TV.

We are Dish TV users but have never considered it because Verizon works so well and is practically every where.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote