WiFi/Broadband Theft - London - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136326-c...ss/article.html
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Interesting that it's illegal to hitch a ride on someone else's WiFi but it's OK that we have to put up with people who turn their cars into a speaker box and blast their bass and other music into the stratosphere for all to "enjoy." Sounds like there must not be a lot for British cops to do.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #3

Registry
My fuzzy memory seems to think that in the UK there's a Television fee for every television you own. I also seem to remember they have or had a number of police that would with electronic snooping equipment to enforce this fee.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When I worked in the UK on a contract for their Infernal Revenue (Inland Revenue) I learned that the UK is taking the internet far more serious then the rest of the world by not allowing their government systems to connect 2 it. Might B something that the rest of the world could learn from.

When I worked in Germany, there was a fee for a TV and that let U have a radio too. (Pay the TV fee and have a radio free of the fee)

If you only had a radio, there was a small monthly fee for it.

The Bundapost drove around in a van with an antenna on top and would aim it at your residence and could even tell what U were watching. They came to my house 2 C why I wasn’t paying the monthly fee and b Cause I was with the US Government, was exempt.

When I lived in Turkey, “ALL RADIOS” even the one’s in your car, were registered with the government. Was told that B cause U could make a transmitter out of a receiver, all radios were tracked. and No 2 way radios allowed (Even the toy Star Trek radios that had a 100 foot range).

Sound like Gestapo????
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #5

Yes, the UK and DE and lots of other Euro countries tax television receivers. In DE, the Bundespost radio direction finding (RDF) vans could pinpoint an apartment or condo in a multistory building.

In fact, they also tax DREAMS!! just as we do here in the US. They call it Lotto, we call it Lottery -- If you want to dream about what you will do with your winnings, you must first pay your tax, because you can't win if you don't!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
What I'd like to know is, can I charge THEM for letting their Wifi signal invade my space???

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
What I'd like to know is, can I charge THEM for letting their Wifi signal invade my space???
Nope, because the FCC, appointed by duly elected representatives, has decided that part of your space is invade-able by stuf like WiFi, microwave ovens, cordless phones, cell phones, etc., as long as power levels are not excessive.