"WilderNest" Truck Toppers - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
"WilderNest" Truck Toppers

A friend of mine has a WilderNest truck topper for sale.

Those that are not familiar with WilderNest they were pickup truck toppers that converted to a 2 person tent out of the top of the "topper". Apparently they are becoming quite a camping "collector item". The company was in business from 1987-1996 in Colorado.

Pretty neat concept and I am considering buying the unit as it will fit may old truck. Below is a picture of one I found on the internet.

Anyone have any experience with a WilderNest topper?
Attached Thumbnails
wildernest 1.jpg  

vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Coleman, I believe, had a topper where the roof lifted up and the sides folded down to make beds. I also think there was a sort of kitchen across the front of the topper.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
"WilderNest" Truck Toppers

I believe Bac Pac made one that flipped forward over the cab rather than sideways. The bed platform was supported with posts that connected to brackets mounted somehow in the seams of the hood. I like that idea better, as the whole thing fits in a smaller footprint, and your bed is over the cab instead of thin air. I think it might have been called a Flip-Pac... I was coveting one for a 4WD Frontier I once owned, but settled for a $200 used fiberglass topper instead. Then I got married and the Frontier gave way to a minivan and the Scamp.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
I had one on a Toyota Tacoma for over 10 years and my buddy had one on a gmc full size truck for along time. They are good shells if you can pick one up in good condition for cheap. Basically you can use the shell as if it is a normal topper/canopy when not using the tent, then when you want to sleep in it, the tent just pops up and over to the side. They are kind of like the FlipPac but usually way cheaper due to their age and no longer being made. Just make sure the canvas is good and that all the hardware is functioning. There use to be, and might still be a website that had used wilderness shells for sale as well as people hunting for one to buy. If the website is still current it would give you an idea of what they are worth, which is usually about 500 to maybe even 1500 bucks. Good luck
HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Thanks for sharing the information.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote