Will a high wind flip a parked trailer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #15

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Since the gray , black and fresh water tanks sit low in the trailer , would filling the tanks with water before a storm lessen the chance of tipping over ?.

Seems like even just the weight of them at all would help by making the trailer heavier overall. But yeah, the lower the center of gravity the better. I'd have a hard time believing they wouldn't help.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #16

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
One thing to remember, looking at my photo- the wind may not tip you over, but it might push you sideways to cause a lot of sway or even to make a less-aware driver veer off the road or into another lane.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #17

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Just like a ship at sea, If you can head into the wind, you present a smaller sail to the wind.
Do any campgrounds have tie down anchors? If so, you need some long straps to throw over the rig. Or, if you have some of those corkscrew type pegs screw them in good and attach your straps. Maybe connect them to the rear bumper and front frame.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #18

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Steven,
I'd say, yes, having the low-sitting water, gray, and black tanks full would ballast it and make it safer in a wind...but then again, consider rolling over with a full black tank?

Hmmm. We don't have one, never have had, so don't know if there's a stop to prevent spillage in such an event.

BEST
Kai
Old 03-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #19

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
I've posted this before, but on the occasions when we camped in Outer Banks' Oregon Inlet CG with the popup, due to the wind, I always put some guy lines on each corner post, pinned with 24" stakes. It stopped the roof from constantly moving and shaking and made the camper much more quiet.
Now when the first big thunder cell got right over us, boy I was glad to have them!
They may not have resisted a microburst, but we've seen a few storms where the wind blew pretty hard and nothing moved, and we felt much more secure.
See the wind pushing the canvas:

Storm coming!:

Next time we head down there will be with the Trillium!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #20

Washington
Registry
Carl,

That open campsite looks almost exactly like the Pacific Beach State Park in Pacific Beach, Oregon. We stayed there for the first time last fall, after trying to get a reservation off and on for 20 years!
The guy wires are a good idea. It wouldn't be that big a deal to carry a set.

BEST
Kai
Old 03-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Do any campgrounds have tie down anchors? If so, you need some long straps to throw over the rig. Or, if you have some of those corkscrew type pegs screw them in good and attach your straps. Maybe connect them to the rear bumper and front frame.
I have not seen them myself but some campgrounds out west do have ties downs in concrete. I think the objective was to use chains from the tie downs to the frame.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Probably better to park the car next to the trailer on the windy side to break the wind before hitting the trailer.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:01 AM   #23

Name: Sands
Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16'
Arizona
Great minds...While camped on the edge of the chasm at Goosenecks State Park in Utah in our 16' Scamp last year we were subjected to a late night/early morning storm that had 80 mph gusts (according to park ranger). Trailer was rocking, and not in a good way! We parked our tow vehicle (Toyota Highlander) very close to the trailer on the upwind side. Seemed to help quite a bit.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #24

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
All that math gave me a headache.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #25

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I can tell you from personal experience being in a Scamp trailer beats being in a nylon tent in fierce wind any day! In our youthful backpacking days we hiked the Napali cliffs on Kauai, Hawaii. We were dog tired and could not make the whole 11 miles to our beach/camping destination. (Thanks to the "romantic' description of the trail in the Sierra Club book we had no idea how treacherous the trail really is/was. Ah, the innocence of youth!). At dusk we camped on the sheer edge of the cliff, the only place available, and shuddered all night while we heard the roar of the never-ending blustery wind. We kissed the ground when we crawled out of out tent then next morning when the air was, thankfully, peaceful. BTW, we took the Zodiac boat back to the start of the trail. I don't really know what was worse, the treacherous hike in or the treacherous boat ride out!

In our later, more recent, years we camped with out 13' Scamp at Joshua Tree National Park in CA. Much as in Maui, we shuddered all night while we heard the roar of never-ending blustery wind. We felt the trailer rock and prayed that we wouldn't fall over. In the morning, our trailer was upright and when we emerged we discovered that all the tent campers had left the campground and only a few trailer campers remained.

We're more than grateful to have survived both incidents and I can tell you I'd much rather be in a trailer in high wind. Of course, hurricanes are another matter.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #26

Washington
Registry
"I can tell you from personal experience being in a Scamp trailer beats being in a nylon tent in fierce wind any day!" --Gilda.

Agreed! I'd so much rather be in a trailer than in a tent! You got that right! Especially if it is windy!

BEST
Kai
Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #27

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Don't forget to put the stabilizers down and try to park nose into the wind. I slept through a gale at Banks Lake. My friends in pickup campers asked me if I worried about my kayak and I had to ask why.

Although trees can smash you, they can also be a good windbreak. I pulled into Bullard's Beach SP to get out of the wind and it was sheltered enough with trees to keep things calmer.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #28

Washington
Registry
Odds are much better that the trees will act as a windbreak than that the wind will break the trees.

BEST
Kai