Will an Eggcamper split in half? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Posts: 151
Will an Eggcamper split in half?

The Eggcampers look interesting, kind of like a Casita on it's side, but it sure looks like a rear-end collision would split it in half. Their FAQ says the seam is held together by adhesive and "fiberglass layered inside". I was hoping it would say "sewn together with wire". I'm sure they are safe, or they wouldn't be for sale, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of the seam coming apart.

PICTURE TOUR OF EGGCAMPER
__________________

__________________
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Adrian W's Avatar
 
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Posts: 1,185
This wouldn't be an April Fools gag?

If not:

Don't think you would have to worry about it becoming un-seamed. Being wired together, would more than like not help, but make it less strong. IMHO.

As for a rear-end collision, don't think many RVs/travel trailers would be NOT damaged. Unlikely from being split in half.

The old U-Haul TTs were make with two halves in the same way.
Burro vs. U-Haul
__________________

__________________
DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
2015 Lance 1985 ~ Casita de Campo ~23' 4"
~Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
This wouldn't be an April Fools gag?

If not:

Don't think you would have to worry about it becoming un-seamed. Being wired together, would more than like not help, but make it less strong. IMHO.

As for a rear-end collision, don't think many RVs/travel trailers would be NOT damaged. Unlikely from being split in half.

The old U-Haul TTs were make with two halves in the same way.
Burro vs. U-Haul
I was serious, but I tried to delete my post since it sounded a little harsh towards the eggcampers. It just looks (to my untrained eye) like a bad idea to have the two halves of your home joined together vertically. Maybe the overlap is rather large, and the seam is super-strong and leak-proof.
__________________
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
All of the U-Haul's and Burros have that type of shell construction.
In the very remote event of an accident, about the last thing I would worry about is the crashability (?) of the trailer. I see it as more crumple zone between me and whoever runs into me.... LOL
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
On most half shell construction the seam is actually the strongest part. The rest of the shell will break before the seam fails.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
All of the U-Haul's and Burros have that type of shell construction.
In the very remote event of an accident, about the last thing I would worry about is the crashability (?) of the trailer. I see it as more crumple zone between me and whoever runs into me.... LOL
This is so true! We were pulling a pop-up several years ago and the pop-up was totaled but if we would have had a direct hit on our vehicle, it would have pushed us into the highway with heavy traffic. One of those blessings in disguise. We were traveling from AZ to KS and it happened in NM. We could still pull the trailer to our destination but being a stickie, it would have cost more to the insurance company to fix it so they totaled and gave us a check.

That center seam should be the toughest area I would think and you do have the double shell. I like the EggCamper too!
__________________
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Posts: 154
April Fool's Day Joke --Version #2

I've heard that some folks have concerns with the horizontally seamed trailers also. Saw this posted a while back.

"The Casita's look interesting, kind of like an Eggcamper on it's side, but it sure looks like in a rear-end collision the top might come off. Their FAQ says the seam is held together by adhesive. I was hoping it would say "Bolted Together" or "Held together with Gorilla Glue". I'm sure they are safe, or they wouldn't be for sale, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of the top popping off."


Just Kidding--no offense to OP, -- I might have asked the same question myself-ha!
__________________
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
It's a valid question to ask... I wondered the same thing when I first started learning about FG eggs. Turned out there's nothing to worry about, the seams are more like a truss than a crack.
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 PM   #9
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
No worries. There was a UHaul rear ended a year or so ago. The collision bent the back bumper, and buckled the back shell inward, but the seam didn't split.
In fact the new owner is putting it back together right now. He pushed the shell back into position and is making repairs.
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
Member
 
Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
No worries. There was a UHaul rear ended a year or so ago. The collision bent the back bumper, and buckled the back shell inward, but the seam didn't split.
In fact the new owner is putting it back together right now. He pushed the shell back into position and is making repairs.
Hi Pam,
So let's say that his was totaled by the insurance company and they wrote him a check. Would his camper be a "R" title or Salvage Title should someone decide to repair it? I guess what I am getting at is, what protection does the consumer have to stop people from repairing and reselling a totaled camper? IS it the same as a car?
We haven't purchased yet and just want to know what to look for.
Thanks
__________________
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #11
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Posts: 3,220
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF View Post
Hi Pam,
So let's say that his was totaled by the insurance company and they wrote him a check. Would his camper be a "R" title or Salvage Title should someone decide to repair it? I guess what I am getting at is, what protection does the consumer have to stop people from repairing and reselling a totaled camper? IS it the same as a car?
We haven't purchased yet and just want to know what to look for.
Thanks
You're looking much deeper into possible problems than I ever did .
When I was shopping, I just found a camper that I loved on ebay, talked to the seller, and then looked it over really well before I bought it.
You might want to start a new thread for your question, so this thread can stay focused on the EggCamper vertical seam discussion.
__________________
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF View Post
Hi Pam,
So let's say that his was totaled by the insurance company and they wrote him a check. Would his camper be a "R" title or Salvage Title should someone decide to repair it? I guess what I am getting at is, what protection does the consumer have to stop people from repairing and reselling a totaled camper? IS it the same as a car?
We haven't purchased yet and just want to know what to look for.
Thanks
I was thinking about this, we had both an auto and a camper, separate incidents, totaled out. We kept both. Had we fixed the damage and resold, I don't see how anyone would have known that was purchasing them from us unless we told them. We took the check for the car and repaired it. We sold the camper as it was to someone we knew that was going to repair it. I guess if you buy from a salvage company, and I do see trailer listings at two different places a couple of hundred miles from us, you would have a salvage title? I know with CarFax, unless work is reported, usually from a major manufacturer's dealer, it doesn't show up. I don't think that many campers are involved in accidents and most, if severe, would probably make them either hopeless or they would pretty much be rebuilt in order to restore them to something decent. I don't think "patch" really doesn't much in that case.
__________________
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
Member
 
Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I was thinking about this, we had both an auto and a camper, separate incidents, totaled out. We kept both. Had we fixed the damage and resold, I don't see how anyone would have known that was purchasing them from us unless we told them. We took the check for the car and repaired it. We sold the camper as it was to someone we knew that was going to repair it. I guess if you buy from a salvage company, and I do see trailer listings at two different places a couple of hundred miles from us, you would have a salvage title? I know with CarFax, unless work is reported, usually from a major manufacturer's dealer, it doesn't show up. I don't think that many campers are involved in accidents and most, if severe, would probably make them either hopeless or they would pretty much be rebuilt in order to restore them to something decent. I don't think "patch" really doesn't much in that case.
Thank you, Cathy! That pretty much answers my question. Have a wonderful Easter.
__________________
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
Not sure, but I think when it gets totaled out this is reported to the state, and a salvage title is issued in place of the original title. I could be wrong, but it makes sense from the standpoint that the state wants to protect the consumer via accurate title records.
__________________

__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eggcamper


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Egg Camper half closet rgrugg Modifications, Alterations and Updates 41 09-24-2012 11:48 AM
Got my Sharp Half Pint Microwave Matt in SV Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes 17 05-27-2011 06:20 PM
Sharp Half Pint Carousel Microwave for sale Ricky 4 Classified Archives 3 12-29-2010 01:30 PM
Winter ONLY Half Over Gerry General Chat 4 02-17-2008 04:19 AM
"and Half-Measures-Ain't My Style" Kristi Warner Modifications, Alterations and Updates 7 09-29-2006 06:42 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.