Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Say "Hi" to Dorothy and Toto!

Old 03-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #16

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Phew.....made it through the night...only 55mph winds but I got pix and by the time most people see my camper with tie-downs the wind speed will certainly be near 100 mph...I have a very bad memory..."old-timers" you know...

Old 03-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
A wind speed of approximately 73.14159 mph.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
One year high winds in the Boston area caused a maple tree on our street to fall on our house while we were inside watching it fall! Fortunately, there was no damage to the house or to us.

A couple years ago we were camping in Joshua Tree National Park in California and the night winds were fierce! The trailer was a rockin', the tent campers disappeared in the night (They drove home, I'm sure. They did not blow away.) and our camping chair had burned to a crisp as it had fallen in the firepit ashes. Thank goodness we were in the 13' Scamp. I kept my thoughts on the escape hatch all night in case we might need it. We felt a lot of rocking and howling, but we survived intact and stayed upright.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #19

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
My Scamp has been through two tornadoes while I have owned it.
The first one was the most severe, and I wasn't home to see it. The scamp was in my driveway at the time, not sure if there where any chocks under the wheels, but I doubt it. The stabilizers and tongue jack were down tightly. I have stabilizer jacks on all four corners so that's a pretty solid connection to the concrete.
I was almost unable to get home that night since almost every path was blocked by fallen oak trees. I had to drive over and barely under so many fallen power lines / through so many piles of roof and other debris. I was not sure if the house would be there at all, let alone the scamp. Somehow we were lucky and our home suffered no damage at all. The scamp was absolutely covered leaf camo style with twigs and leaves. The insane part is that about 60 feet away directly across from our driveway the neighbors huge tree had uprooted and fallen over, lifting about half of their yard with it. Other trees snapped clean off right next to that one. Our entire area looks barren and messed up now. No more tree skyline. One of the Oaks fell right through a house and cut it clean in half. It has since been demolished and re-built.

I think if it had been a typical stick built trailer with flat walls and sharp corners it would have blown away. The wind doesn't toss these nearly as hard.

For the second tornado I was IN the scamp on the side of the house. It was very loud, but it didn't really rock the trailer much. It been sitting still for almost a year in that position and had sunk into the dirt a good 4 inches. The tornado also didn't cause any damage in our area that time.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
In our FL park if you leave your rig over the summer, it must be tied down to the pad. The summer thru November is hurricane season. During Hurricane Charlie (2004?) rigs that were not tied down were blown all over the place. Actually an open chain link fence set in concrete was blown over.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #21

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
My high wind strategy

"A wind speed of approximately 73.14159 mph."

Mike, I think you are stretching it a bit. Everyone knows Oklahoma doesn’t have 7 pi's, , only cow pies

Whenever the camper is being hit with a severe side wind, I unhitch the pickup and park it tight against the side of the prevailing wind so it breaks the force of the wind hitting directly on the side of the camper. If being hit from the front, I leave it hitched up to the pickup.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:23 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
True enough, Jim. Cow pies and oil rigs.

Ah, well... if one is in a FG trailer and one feels a wind coming on, the solution is simple: step outside and let 'er blow.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Mike,

Since 3.14159 are the first 6 digits of the geometric value “pi”, that describes the circumference of a circle in relation to its diameter, I figured you added the 70 mph and were talking code here for hurricane-force winds. You are after all in Hurricane Ally, OK!

I think when I open the windows to reduce the pressure-differential and let the hurricane pass through, it would also take care of any other pre-existing “wind issues” generated inside previously and no need to step outside.

Jim
Old 03-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #24

Name: Donald
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Wind Speed to Topple a trailer

For those who want to compute the wind speed to topple their trailer, here is a formula posted by 2oldman on RV.Net in 2011. WARNING: It may make your head hurt! Note: I have not independantly checked this out to vouch for it.

V=SQRT (W*B/{0.00666*L*[H-H2/2]*(H/2+H2/4)})

Where:

V = Wind Speed
SQRT = Square Root
W = Trailer Weight, LBS
B = Trailer Width (Tire Center to Center), FT
L = Trailer Length, FT
H = Trailer Height (From Ground), FT
H2 = Tire Height, FT
Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #25

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Since the grey tank , black tank and fresh water tank are located at or near the bottom of our trailers ,would filling up all the tanks with water make the trailer bottom heavy or lower the center of gravity.?
Thinking about days with high winds and no way to anchor the trailer.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #26

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Wind is something I've never worried about. Been in some pretty strong winds, but not concerned about the trailer tipping over. We tow that trailer between 55 and 60 mph. Ran into a a 40 to 50 mph head wind a few years ago that total wind speed 95 mph to 110 mph.
Also in the 10+ years of ownership and watching the forums I don't know of a single incident where a molded fiberglass trailer blew over.

This appears to be looking for a solution for a non-existant problem.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trees are what I'd be most concerned about. More that a few RVs, molded fiberglass and otherwise, have been destroyed by falling branches and trees.

I like Scamper Jim's approach- using the vehicle as a wind block- hitched up and facing into the wind if possible, stabilizers deployed.

Even better, keep up with local and regional forecasts when you're out and avoid severe weather altogether.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Wind is something I've never worried about. Been in some pretty strong winds, but not concerned about the trailer tipping over. We tow that trailer between 55 and 60 mph. Ran into a a 40 to 50 mph head wind a few years ago that total wind speed 95 mph to 110 mph.
Also in the 10+ years of ownership and watching the forums I don't know of a single incident where a molded fiberglass trailer blew over.
This appears to be looking for a solution for a non-existant problem.
Towing/driving into a head wind is not a problem, it's the side winds that can get you. How many pics have we all seen of big rigs being rolled over because of that?
I think the OP was talking of a static situation. Two years ago we had a 100+ wind storm that blew for hours. One of the neighbors had his large 5th wheel go over, a number of roofs were lost also. My Casita was parked behind the house which broke the wind. If it had been in it's normal spot you would have heard of a cracked egg . BTW, I do remember a post and pics of an egg being blown over with the owner inside.

Tags
casita