Windows in trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
How much consideration did you give to the size and location of windows in your RV? We have owned 3 different brands of fiberglass trailer, and, it is only after having owned others that we come to realize just how important windows are to us. The front dinette in our current Bigfoot has the large front window and two large side windows. Now, when we go into other units, we feel terribly claustrophobic - much like being in a submarine. We just wondered if others have ever given that any thought?

And, windows that open make life very much more livable. Most of us when choosing concentrate on other things and give little thought to windows. It may be a worthwhile discussion on here for the benefit of those either thinking of getting one of these little cuties, or, for others thinking of trading.

Curious?

My daughter went into our Bigfoot the first time and declared, "Now I could use one of these!" I asked her what was different from the Boler she had earlier. After much thought she concluded it was a fear of fire and being trapped with those tiny windows. Ours were big enough to get out of both front and back. Hmmmm - I never thought of that.
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:29 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Absolutely, Ken. I have a love-hate relationship with the sliders I had in the Burro and now have in the Scamp. I will say I like the real glass panes better than the sliding plexi. I really like jealousy windows like those in your Bigfoot and the Trill 4500... except when driving on dusty roads. The sliders look sleek, but they're either open or they're not. Jalousie windows can be left open in the rain, and are like shutters for controlling the amount of airflow. The Airstream and the Love Bug II had single-pane windows that open with a hinge at the top, which I like better than the sliders also. Each style has it's own issues though.

While the front bath floorplan is perfect for my needs, it really restricts the amount of light coming in from the front... which is bad when you want light, but good when you're sleeping and don't!

Roger

on edit... geez... I can't spell... it's JALOUSIE windows... NOT Jealousy! I knew that.... I knew that...
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Roger. I'd love to have jalousie windows. When I was first shopping for a used trailer, I thought the jalousies made the trailer look "dated" in comparison to the sleek black sliders....little did I know I would be exchanging looks for function. One of the great things about having a side bathroom model Scamp is I didn't lose the big front window. This is the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. At night, the gravel shield is lowered and ta-da now the interior is darker for sleeping.

My plan this spring is to replace the flat non-opening plexi window in the rear with a real glass window . I've been comparison shopping and have found a Hehr window where the bottom third flips out. It will entail enlarging the opening about an inch (vertically), but being able to open that window is going to be a huge improvement (for me!).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
One of my favorite things about the Trillium is that all of the windows with the exception of the escape hatch are jealousy type.
There are 9 jealousy windows in the 5500 and one single solid pane as the escape hatch
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Former 1989 Bigfoot owner
Definitely went with the Trillium and Bigfoot for the big windows all around.
When I'm out camping, whether the weather is sunny or rain, I want to feel as though I'm still sitting outside, seeing the scenery all around me.
Harry Gaudier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13 ft
We specifically ordered the jalousie style windows for our 2005 Scamp 13'. Our 1982 Scamp 16' had them by default, and we quickly grew to love them in the rain.

We would have never known otherwise that jalousie windows were an option, had we not been asking for them. They are mentioned in the fine print of the Scamp sales brochure.

The ONLY bad thing about them that I can see (and this is being very picky) is that they are square shaped, while the rest of the trailer is nicely rounded. They don't fit the Scamp "design".

They are definitely an example of function over form.
Jeremy Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #7

Suspicions confirmed!

Thanks to all of those who responded to this thread. That tells me that others find the windows a serious consideration when selecting a trailer. I agree, the Trillium and the Bigfoot seem to have the best window arrangement.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:00 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My front window in my 17ft Boler is jalousie style .Its great for ventilation and looking through.I don't feel trapped.
Yes windows should be a big consideration when buying.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
I'll second the opinion that the jalousie windows are great when it rains. I've had the boler in absolute downpours with the windows open and it was great - also nice to hear the sounds outside as opposed to just the ROAR of rain on the roof! Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
The ONLY bad thing about them that I can see (and this is being very picky) is that they are square shaped, while the rest of the trailer is nicely rounded. They don't fit the Scamp "design".
The windows in the Boler have roundes corners, the centers open and there are small fixed curved panes on the sides. Our stick built has the same windows too. IMo they are the best of both worlds.

The only problem I have found with the jalousie style windows is you have to be careful not to walk into them when they are open. ouch
Old 12-19-2005, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
The windows in the Boler have roundes corners, the centers open and there are small fixed curved panes on the sides. Our stick built has the same windows too. IMo they are the best of both worlds.

The only problem I have found with the jalousie style windows is you have to be careful not to walk into them when they are open. ouch

Good point 'Lizbeth, those sharp corners sticking out can be downright dangerous. We almost need to tape little flags onto the corners. I would hate to see someone poke an eye out on a window.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:46 PM   #12

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
I use a large paper clip or a bulldog clip to hold a spinner on one side window, a small wind sock on the other (that's what I have...anything will work) while in camp, or even while working on my trailer in the driveway. The window opens, the spinner goes up..it catches my eye before the window does!
Attached Thumbnails
window.jpg  
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My trailer is so small, that it's hard to NOT have windows all around

I actually LIKE my sliders. I wish I had a window over the stove tho.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
My trailer is so small, that it's hard to NOT have windows all around

I actually LIKE my sliders. I wish I had a window over the stove tho.

Gina, since you're coming to Portland (at least we hope, you're able to get here!), you might want to swing by RV Parts Outlet, they're located iin Tualatin....and have all kinds of windows. Don't know if you'll need to order the size you need however.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:36 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Ken, I believe your daughter can easily replace her Boler roof vent with one of the larger Scamp escape hatch vents (and get more venting).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
I really do like the large windows in my Bigfoot, unfortunately they are sliders. Not too good (awful) in the rain, the small "old fashion" jalousie windows in my old Trillium were MUCH better when the weather turned foul. I guess this is just one more example of how progress (or fashion) is not always for the best.
I am forced to install window/maxx vents to regain some of the ventilation provided by the old style windows to avoid getting wet while enjoying the panoramic view.

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:29 AM   #17

Quote:
I really do like the large windows in my Bigfoot, unfortunately they are sliders. Not too good (awful) in the rain, the small "old fashion" jalousie windows in my old Trillium were MUCH better when the weather turned foul. I guess this is just one more example of how progress (or fashion) is not always for the best.
I am forced to install window/maxx vents to regain some of the ventilation provided by the old style windows to avoid getting wet while enjoying the panoramic view.

Steve.
Steve, I agree, the sliders are not nearly as good as the vent windows on the Trillium. However, I have come to appreciate the size of, and the location of, the windows in our Bigfoot. It is the brightest trailer we have ever been inside and the visibility from the front dinette is unmatched as far as we are concerned.

Thanks for the link - we will look into that too.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
In my eyes, windows do matter. I bought the second egg I saw. The first was an older Casita with a front bath and an AC stuffed into the rear window. That left only the side windows really visible. That comparison with a submarine was realy apt. The blue-carpeted interior, sagging in places, added to the barnacled, deep-sea impression.

It was a delight to step into the about-to-be-mine Scamp, with a total of eight windows shining brightly. Our one major improvement, a MaxxAir fan, now adds a little shine from overhead, like a skylight. Oh, yes, got one of those, too. Now there's light to spare. This summer I generally left the front window covered in camp, since it only reveled a view of the car.

I'm tickled to think what "jealousy windows" would be like. Either peepholes or escape hatches, I'd guess.

However you spell it, I thought those slatted windows looked antiquated, but I realize their utility. When opened, the whole window is available for air flow, while a slider is always closed over half its surface. My sliders score on styling, and the fan makes up for what doesn't flow naturally. I'd love a sliding rear window one of these days, though, to add to the sense of space in the galley area.
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #19

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I'm tickled to think what "jealousy windows" would be like. Either peepholes or escape hatches, I'd guess.

I fixed it John! Geez... nothing gets by you guys!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows