Winter and salted roads - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #15
Commercial Member
Name: Anders
Trailer: 2010 Coleman 325 37' fifthwheel
Here is a look at the aluminum frame and how it is mounted to the suspension assembly.
The steel suspension assembly isn't attached directly to the aluminum frame, but is mounted on a heavy galvanized bracket that is bolted to the aluminum frame. This extra step is to curtail any dissimilar metal reaction when in a salt and moisture environment. Here is a look at that galvanized bracket.
At the end of the suspension assembly, on the aluminum frame is a button looking sacrificial anode to further protect the aluminum frame. Here is a better look at that sacrificial anode.

Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
Commercial Member
OOpz, link problem with shutterfly. Here is the frame photo.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
Commercial Member
And here is the "button" photo. And a good look at the galvanized bracket that is between the suspension and the frame.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #18
Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
That is exactly how the suspension is attached on my aluminum boat trailer. I will suggest that, even with proper practices during assembly, the area where aluminum and galvanized steel be scrutinized regularly. Shouldn't be as big a problem on a camp trailer as a boat trailer in salt water, but an ounce of prevention is worth many $$$ or repairs.

SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #19
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I have pulled my trailer a few times in the winter over some pretty heavily salted mountain passes. The first thing I do at destination is find a car wash - the self serve type with spray wands. Getting hard to find that type though. Wash the whole trailer down including spraying the underside. No ill effects.

Winner. People think I'm nuts for washing my vehicle in winter. Guess who has no rust? I have an '04 titan, dad has an '05 with 20k less miles. It took half a day to do the brakes on mine, we spent three days on his, due to the rust. Half the brake lines on his were shot.

I lived in salt country. My old '89 nissan is known for frame rot. Mine is as solid as the day it came out of the factory. If you have an enclosed frame with openings, I would drill holes at the low points and flush the frame from the high point.

A little care goes a long way. If you're worried about doors and windows sticking, put some silicone spray on the seals. Wd40 the locks to get the water out, then put a good lock lube in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote