Winter Camping - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #15
Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
If you're going to need electricity remember that most campgrounds/rv parks in the north are closed in the winter.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
Name: Darrell
Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
British Columbia
In praise of older gravity furnaces

Just back home from some off-grid camping, which is our preferred style. The old gravity furnace keeps us perfectly comfortable in foul weather - and all the while untethered from civilization.

Come to think of it, we do most of our camping in the fall, winter, and spring... after most everyone else has winterized and tarped their trailers.

Fan dependent heaters keep us from considering a newer trailer, but perhaps the maritime industry has something (a convective heat source) that may be retrofitted.

Darrell O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
When camping in weather that drops more than a few degrees below freezing I only worry about a few things on the trailer assuming I have heat on in the trailer. I never leave a hose connected to the trailer. The grey water tank on my trailer is outside the trailer - keep it drained as much as possible - if its not possible to completely drain it - dump some anti freeze down the drain into it although it will be diluted by what is in the tank its better than nothing or at least thats my theory ;-) If its *really* cold I just would not use the grey tank. I also keep the bathroom door open a little bit to let heat into it - although the tanks in the bathroom are above ground the bathroom is always cold due to lack of vents to allow warm air from the trailers cabin into it.
Since the gray water tank and stuff other than water already in it like soap thee freezing point is lowered. My gray water tank is very rarely more than 1/2 full, it takes a whole lot of cold, more than 4 or 5 day to freeze 10 to 13 gallons of soapy water. Even if it did freeze there enough expansion room, so no worry there. The valve might freeze, I never checked it when I was in that cold weather. I never worry about anything freezing with a single night below freezing.
I had to think a minute about a hose connected, I think I've had a water hose connected twice since I've owned the trailer (8 years).

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote